Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH DAKOTA > The North Dakota Forum Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The North Dakota Forum Lounge The North Dakota forum's lounge... general chit-chat and things unrelated to the North Dakota prison system go here!

Old 10-06-2003, 11:22 PM
20k posts one day..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,112 Times in 696 Posts
Exclamation Please tell me North Dakota has no prisons and prisoners!

I have been browsing the regional / state forums this evening and just noticed that North Dakota has NO posts by anyone other than me when I started this forum..

I mean common!! Even Rode Island, Wyoming and Montana and even Alaska have more posts than you all! (ouch!) I guess maybe that is actually a good thing if there are little or no prisoners in the state of North Dakota but I know better than that!

If you live in North Dakota, or have a loved one in a North Dakota prison, please stand up and lets get this forum off the ground and start looking into what we can do to help N. Dakota prison inmates and their loved ones.

Looking forward to meeting all of you that I know are out there.

Your friend,
Fed-X

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Life Adventurer

. Sorry, was trying to test something but it didnt work (thought this was a quiet place to try it).
Old 11-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Account Closed

ROFL at Gemini.

Well, Fred is in Montana, which only has ONE prison for men and ONE prison for women in the whole state, and he considers North Dakota to have a small prison. LOL So I guess North Dakota may REALLY be small in the number of prisoners they have and maybe we just haven't gotten any North Dakota members yet.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:10 PM

So does that mean ND is leaner on crime or just less crime period. Either way it sounds like a good place to be. Everyone is always asking where is the best place to raise children. could it be ND?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:53 AM

Default ND prisoners

Hi, actually my boyfriend is in a county jail right now but was in the state prison for a little while. He was in a minimum security prison where it was kind set up as a campus, in meaning that it was all in one area. They had a small small library over here & a small small barbershop over there. Nice place. Visits were long WITH contact. It was nice for me to be able to touch a little. But he got sent to a county jail only 2 hours away instead of 4. Transferred just so I wouldn't have to drive so far & from what I hear county jail is the worst.
So just to tell you there are plenty & I mean plenty of prisoners here in North Dakota. Just doesn't get as much attention in media or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiarre For This Useful Post:
ndmom (05-03-2012)
Old 12-14-2003, 03:06 PM
He's home!!! 1/08/08!!!

Wow! ND is WAY different from Texas!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:39 PM

north dakota has a lot of prisoners as to their population, it's just, the population is just less. also (i live there half-time) i think that there is a different attitude about prisons there, it's so conservative, that people might just simply never think that a site like this exists.

north dakota is VERY, VERY tough on crime, excessively so, in my opinion. i'm from ohio, and all my (indirect) experiences with the courts have been shocking. i'm not sure how typical they are, and i pray that they aren't actually, but i will never understand the kind of sentencing they do there.

anyways, "my inmate," ha, he's in north dakota prison. he gets shuffled all over the state and is mid-shuffle right now, but will probably be moving from Burleigh County Detention Center again back to NDSP. I feel like in ND a lot of times prisoners are moved between states, at least in rehab or other situations, mostly minnesota and south dakota.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:42 PM

when i say "people might not think a site like this exists" i don't mean that in a bad way, or all people from north dakota. i just know most of my friends there, the people i know, haven't really heard of prison advocacy or support groups or anything for prisoners or their families. they find it surprising. that's just my experience though, i'm sure it's different for different communities in ND as well as individuals.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm not from North Dakota, but I have lived in Minot, ND for five years. This place is frighteningly tough on crime, to the degree of preferring to jail you until court rather than giving you a ticket. And, the cops like to lie, and steal your possessions when they ransack your dwelling.

If you are not from around here they can smell it, and will actively seek opportunities to ruin your case. My husband and I have encountered nothing but misery here, as after being arrested for a short-barrelled shotgun the police harassed us with many warrants and felt the need to bring in SWAT and the bomb squad over a box of gun parts.

They then had the nerve to lie in the police report and say that a device was detonated, which could not be further from the truth, and the lie made it to the local newspaper where many people read it and believed it. In his recent sentencing the police force (who I don't believe were intended to be judges) insisted to the D.A. and judge that he be sentenced as harshly as possible because he was a "threat to society". My husband has no history of violence whatsoever, he just has reacquired guns on several occasions because his probation officer around here told him he could have them. So all at once he received a possession of explosives charge, a sawn-off shotgun charge again (because they raided the apartment of a friend who happened to own one, and did not seem to need proof that it belonged to my husband), a few felon in possession of firearms charges, and a burglary charge (unrelated, and the only charge not corrupted with lies), eight felonies in total.

They also found my husband's trench coat in this friend's apartment, which made the judge say my husband made him think of Columbine. This is RIDICULOUS with no history of violence, and is to me a juvenile accusation.

He was sentenced to five years, which is not much compared to many people on these forums, but most of his charges are absurd, and this is what angers me the most. It is all because the cops here have a heavy influence on the court system, and if they don't like you for some reason you are screwed.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

I completely agree with EspiesHappen. My fiancee was with a group of his roughneck friends driving around and they were all drinking. My fiancee passed out in the back of the truck and they left him. Little did he know it was stolen and they charged him with possession of stolen property and unauthorized use of MV. They dropped the unauthorized use charge and gave him 5 years for the other. They kept changing his charge without even notifying him of the amendment. It was a crock. He finally took a plea just because the prosecutor was threatening a lot more if he didn't take the plea. I work in law enforcement and have NEVER seen such a ridiculous display of abuse of power in my life.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Account Closed

I guess I'm a little ambivalent here... my son was accused of something I still do not believe he did. I don't think they ever truly did an investigation... Never once were my husband or I called about anything. The prosecutor twisted everything he could to try to get my son sentenced to life. However, the folks at the jail really liked him, felt bad about his situation, and even let us have some time with him after his sentencing hearing, which my son's attorney said is something they almost never do. And I am so grateful to the judge that we had for seeing through the prosecutor's bs. So I can't say they're all bad. Just the ones who take it upon themselves to be judge, jury, and executioner without knowing or bothering to try to find out the whole story.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Anto

I live in Fargo, ND but don't have any loved ones in prison here.. I don't think a lot of people know about this site.. I found it by googling questions about my prison pen pal in CA! I find it to be an awesome site though!!!! : ) Very informational!!!