Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > SOUTH and CENTRAL AMERICA, CARIBBEAN PRISON FORUMS > South & Central America and Caribbean Prisons News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South & Central America and Caribbean Prisons News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South American, Central American, and Caribbean prison systems.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 20,486 Times in 5,191 Posts
Default Honduras Prison Fire - 300 dead, more deaths expected

Honduras President Porfirio Lobo has pledged a "full and transparent" investigation after a fire at a jail killed more than 300 inmates.

Mr Lobo also suspended local and national prison officials while the inquiry into the "unacceptable" tragedy at the jail in Comayagua was conducted.
Many victims were burned or suffocated to death in their cells.
Officials fear the death toll could rise to more than 350, as dozens of inmates are still unaccounted for.

The authorities are trying to establish whether the blaze in the overcrowded prison was started deliberately by an inmate or was caused by an electrical fault.

Comayagua firefighters' spokesman Josue Garcia said there were "hellish" scenes at the prison and that desperate inmates had rioted in a bid to escape the flames.
"We couldn't get them out because we didn't have the keys and couldn't find the guards who had them," he said.
One prisoner, who managed to escape, later told reporters that he first had heard "the screams of the [inmates] on fire and everyone just started fearing for their lives".

Full story here: BBC News Online
Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Loving Them Both

That's crazy...It's good that i can even find information here about a country i plan on moving to..its really horrible there as i hear crime wise but also very beautiful..just wish i had even more information on this country i plan to go to with my fiance and our daughter

El Amor's De Mi Vida