Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Scottswifey226 Scottswifey226 is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Marriage at Kit Carson

Hi. Im new here so i dont really know where to post at so hopefully this is in the right area. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows how someone would hget married at the Kit Carson Correctional Center? My boyfriend is currently there and we would like t get married but we have no idea where to even start this process. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
nancyginnm's Avatar
nancyginnm nancyginnm is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 873
Thanks: 589
Thanked 624 Times in 309 Posts

Hi and welcome to PTO! Getting married in CO is actually pretty easy. We were just married in June. Here are the steps you'll need to take:
1) Have your bf complete a "Request for Proxy Marriage" form. This is pretty much just "permission" from the prison/warden to be married. He can get the form from his case manager or you can send it to him (it's online).
2) Obtain an "Absentee Affidavit" from the county clerk's office or online. He'll need to sign this and have it notarized.
3) Once you receive his signed affidavit, take this and his birth certificate to the county clerk's office. You'll have to pay $30 to obtain the marriage license.
4) There are two ways you can get married. One is by proxy (someone can stand in for him), the other is self solemnization (much easier). If you choose this method, you will sign and if possible, he will sign. We were lucky because the warden let me take in the license to the visiting room so he could sign it. If this isn't possible, you can obtain a power of attorney and sign the license for him. Once everything is signed, take back to the county clerk to get recorded. Make sure you get a couple of copies - one for him and one for the prison.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know!

Last edited by nancyginnm; 02-01-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Scottswifey226 (02-04-2012)


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics