Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Default Problem with alcohol

I've had a problem with alcohol for a while if anyone wants ot talk about it, pleas hit me up! I have about a year sober now. I'd love to offer support!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colakid94 For This Useful Post:
Mikesgirl73 (10-02-2014), pipeliner (03-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,543 Times in 6,753 Posts

Welcome to PTO and congratulations on your year sober. I am sure you will be an inspiration and be able to offer support to a of our members

Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Congratulations. (:
Keep up the Good work.
God bless you(:
Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,756 Times in 5,289 Posts

Hey! Welcome to PTO!! Congratulations on that 1 year of sobriety. One day at a time....right?!

Introducing PTO Quarterly -Fall 2014 Issue Read All About it Right Here!!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 AM

congrats on the sobriety!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,024 Posts

Welcome to PTO and congratulations on a year of sobriety!

PTO Mod for Genl Health Care, Mental Health, Hep C, Prison Legal, Legislation & Laws, Inmate Card Forum, D & A Rehab & CP

Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Good for you. I to have a problem with alcohol. Been drinking since high school and probably every day since I was 19 or 20 or so. I am 43 now and said I would quit when I turned 40 but did not. Said I would quit when I had my five year old baby girl but did not. I drink a pint of rum a day and get the night sweats if I drink much less. Every time I tried to just drink beer or ween myself off I always knew I would not. Now I have a dui and on probation for two weeks now. I have to test twice a week(breathalyzer) which is a joke cuz I just drink after the test and am good by the next day practically 24 hrs later. I recently learned my po can requestthe test place to give me an etg test at anytime. Finally it has sunk in that I must quit or just receive more intensive testing and finally jail. I am not drinking tonight (first night) and my feeling about quitting is different this time. This time I want it if for any other reason than not to let my po fuck me and prove them wrong. I'm pretty confident this time and feel it wont be a problem. Have a spare set of jammies next to the bed for when I wake up soaked. Wish me luck, but I really have no choice. I aint going to play this game or go to jail. My thinking as of now is just make it the three months of my testing and probably six months. I have a year probation and three months alcohol only testing. I am hoping I can go six months and see if I can get off probation early. Then go from there.
Edit: sorry, I did not realize till now that this was an old post. Must be a slow board, this post was on the second page.

Last edited by abrahamx; 10-01-2014 at 06:33 PM..
Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
attorney

Thanked 12,110 Times in 4,433 Posts

Hey, just an FYI, you might want to talk with a healthcare professional about detoxing. If you've been drinking as much as you say for as long as you say, stopping cold turkey could be very problematic - not just the sweats and DTs, but cardiac problems and other very serious complications. Best to get into a detox as alcoholics need more monitoring than many other types of addictions.

You also haven't mentioned doing a program. Program work can really help give you something to think about and occupy the time you normally use thinking about and consuming alcohol. Many programs are free (your basic AA), but if you detox, getting into a rehab is usually a good way to get your body used to sobriety, adjust your diet, and address any long term health effects from your drinking.

Further, POs and the like are much nicer to people who are seriously trying to work a program instead of "work" the testing. Showing certificates from Detox and Rehab and chips from meetings will help you with getting your drivers license back early, at least to get to and from work.

You'll have more success if you find and develop supports for sobriety. Look into detox - you can talk with your primary care physician, or look to your insurance to find a detox facility nearby, and go from there.

You know, it's ok to be accountable to people you care about - it doesn't always have to be a war. Your PO could be a good resource for information.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
David (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 AM

Thanks, but I already told my probation acessment that I dont drink very often. I feel if I come out and tell the truth they would order me into all kinds of crap. I would rather do that on my own not on court order. I "only" drink a pint a day which is not all that much compared to alot of folks. About 8 years now on that. Before it was maybe six beers and a half pint of schnapps. Hard to remember much before that. Probably only a 40 ounce or so. I do have a good diet and am fully functioning. Its funny cuz yesterday was the first night I went with no booze voluntarily that I can remember. Once cuz I was sick and I still had one beer. Once cuz I was in the hospital and once for three days cuz I was on a long sailboat race. Before when I was just trying to stick to four or five beers and no rum I was getting night sweats for the five days that that lasted. Last night, no liquor, and no night sweats. I slept great and so far, at the 33 hr mark since drinking I am having no issues. I am being smart about it and have been researching the issue of quitting cold turkey and what not for years so I am well aware of the issues. I am monitoring myself closely and my wife is as well. I work construction and am in good shape in general. I do have high blood pressure which I take meds for so am a tad concerned about that. I do appreciate your responce however and am not making light of your concerns. Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Good luck with it! As you go into this, you need to realize that your drinking at what you feel is “only” a pint of rum a day is a level that the great majority of people would consider absolutely monumental. I’m a seriously experienced former hard drinker with decades of it behind me, and I have genuine respect for anybody at the pint a day level.

If you’re young and strong-fit-healthy-NOT overweight-etc, you may have a crack at backing out of this thing yourself, but I wouldn’t bet a lot of my money on that happening successfully and having long-term lasting power. You do however need to get out of it because hard drinking (which a pint a day definitely is) will detract from the effectiveness of your BP meds, and probably close to the point of rendering those meds useless---aside from helping to keep your BP jacked up.

Personally speaking --- I never did find AA or any 12-step stuff to be of any help to me. I’m an atheist and (whether the AA people care to admit the truth or not) AA is a religion-based, religion-driven thing (and has been decreed by many court decisions as such), so it never helped me one little bit. Because of what it is, I can’t much recommend it.

If you have problems shaking your previous drinking patterns, talk to your doctor. A good doc (which isn’t all of them) should be able to refer you to non-AA support in backing away from drinking---if non-12-step support is what you need. If AA is OK with you, they’re all over the place and probably have meetings within a couple miles of wherever you live.

Good luck with your efforts.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks, I realize a pint a day is alot. thats why I used quotes, and the fact that lots of folks drink alot more. I work with a guy who used to drink up to five fifths a day. I'm at the 48 hr mark with no symptoms. Which kind of has me perplexed. My hands are less shaky than usual. Mild headache for a few this morning. Hard to believe that for five days of trying to just drink 4 or 5 beers instead of rum I had terrible night sweats waking up soaked and then getting the chills. Now last night I did not drink any alcohol and slept great and no night sweats. The way I see/understand it is one more day(72 hrs) and I should be in the clear of any major dt's and whatnot. For now and as long as I am on probation the threat of jail has me more than convinced to not drink. Who knows after that but it will be up to me to start drinking again and that would be dumb. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy the weekend couple beers or so. Maybe, maybe not. I am agnostic and have no interest in aa whatsoever. Had to go about twenty years ago twice a week cuz of another drunk driving. Was not my thing at all. In fact no support groups really are. About the high blood pressure, when I asked my doctor(I'm always upfront and brutally honest about my drinking) he said that alcohol could be 50% of it or it could be 100% of it. Quit smoking pot about 50 or so days ago after 30 years of daily use. Cant wait to light up to be honest with you but have no desire to drink. I long ago realized it was a sickness and did not even really enjoy it. Was just such a habit. Feels great finally saying no to the inner demon. Thanks for the well wishes. It is nice to chat with folks about it and learn some insight.

Last edited by abrahamx; 10-02-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 PM

on a side note. If a po was genuinely interested in helping folks work through a program then why would they randomly test you and allow no slip ups, which are common? One slip up and bam, violation. Half a beer and three days later an etg test and your off to jail. That is not help. That is.....well I wont say it, but it aint true help. Maybe tough love to the extreme. I will show no love for them but either way, it has motivated me to stop so thats a good thing. Weekend may be tough but the way I see it is I can not drink if I ever want to get off probation and I wont play this game so no booze it is. Period.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 PM

i got a restricted license for three month. two to go and a $125 reinstatment and im good.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM
attorney

Thanked 12,110 Times in 4,433 Posts

Most POs will help those who really want help, hook you up with rehab and detox and the like. Most POs know that those who come to them the first time for a drug or alcohol based offense don't really give a damned about anything, will say they're doing what they should, and will lie their asses off. That's why the random tests - too many people have screwed it up. I did a DUI 7 a number of years ago, and my guy was all about the, "I'm going to get cleaned up and toe the line" and all of that. Even got a substance abuse eval done before he was appointed counsel. In person, he was great, but then you looked at his history, and how he's always saying the exact same thing because that's what's required, when he really didn't mean it any more than a lot of people mean it. Here's the thing - most people in the CJ system don't care if you're an alcoholic - it's the driving while drunk that gets you. Then there's the mentality that many drunk drivers have of, "well, I was actually driving really well when I got pulled over" and they'll point to the technicality that got them pulled over, and say, "see? I wasn't driving badly, but for that technicality, they never would have known my BAC was above the limit" and that's alcoholism that's being clueless about driving - you can't drink and drive. You're a hazard. But, it's a common perception that you're just fine driving.

I'm glad you stopped. Hope you stay stopped. Your daughter deserves a father, not an alcoholic.

And, yeah, there's other options besides group work and AA. Talking with your doctor may help you find those programs since you're not into leveling with your PO (and admittedly, now is not the time to level with your PO since you've already lied your ass off to your PO. But, getting and staying sober without your PO's help? awesome)

3 months and $125? You don't want to move East. MI and WI seem to be really easy on DUIs. First offense DUI in MA is $10K mandatory and 6 months no license. My brother did 70 days jail for a DUI4 in WI, with a fine of less than $2k. granted, no licesne for a couple of years and an IID for a few years after that, but it was a 4. Here, he'd do a year in jail and never be able to afford to drive again without Bill Gates type money.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Well that was not totally it. 2k for attorney, 1380 for fines and fees, three month testing, one year probation(reporting), MADD impact panal(two hour thingy) and 12, once a month class that lasts an hour and a half. I also have a $500 drivers responsibility fee and another one next year. along with a three month restricted license and the 125 for reinstatement. and of course paying the $40 for the 12 classes and 35 for the other along with $40 for the twelve probation visits. Quitting is a no brainer. Of course I dont want to go to jail so abiding by the rules of my probation is my only option. Cant wait till its over. I am hoping I can get off in six months if I dont violate, which I wont. In my case I have nothing to lie about.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Here one would easily do a year in jail for a no.4. Probably a no. 3.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Also its been three days and it is really no big deal to quit. Sucks and boring as hell but no withdrawal symptoms and really no craving. Actually no craving at all, just lame as hell. guess I'll have to give away some of my bottles of wine that probably should be drank this year. 13 years old and most say to drink them this year if you still have them. Someone will get a nice early christmas present.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanked 13,490 Times in 3,509 Posts

Well that is good you're not having withdrawls. I had to.have help coming off it.
If alcohol has caused you this much trouble then you are smart to follow your terms and conditions of probation because I learned years ago if you don't those conditions set you up for failure. Good luck. bb