Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > UTAH > Utah Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Utah Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Utah should be posted here.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM

Question How can we get him out early? UTAH

He was given a 10 year sentence. Board of pardons said it should have only been 7. He is now 3 years to the gate, been in for 7 years. He has not paid any of his restitution yet.

What are the ways to get him out early via Utah Law. Also is restitution negotiable?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Down to Ride
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,844 Times in 2,448 Posts

Restitution is not negotiable. If he is in prison, there really aint no way he could have paid restitution. If he got 10 years, he probably should have made parole by now, UNLESS he was a violent offender and given 85% to do. In other words, if that is the case, he is close to coming home now. If your state has good time, that would have knocked it down, but if he has been in 7 years on a 10 year sentence, it sounds like he was a violent offender.

Most times you get out after doing 2 years and change on a 10 year sentence.

I imagine the courts arent expecting him to make restitution while he is incarcerated. He will be given instructions upon release on how long he has to get it paid off. If you want to pay his restitution, you might want to contact the courts. Either way, he wont get out before his time is up. Paying the restitution aint going to get him out before they are ready to open the door.

Its hurting you, but its killing me.....

Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibree View Post
He was given a 10 year sentence. Board of pardons said it should have only been 7. He is now 3 years to the gate, been in for 7 years. He has not paid any of his restitution yet.

What are the ways to get him out early via Utah Law. Also is restitution negotiable?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sentences here now are all indeterminate and pretty much up to the parole board with a wide range between the minimum and maximum, so you have to convince them. I'm about ready to send in about 40 pages of info for my husband's hearing, I hope it works!!

Was he sentenced before that change and given a set time?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM

If your loved one has completed any programs or has received his HS Diploma, a certificate of any kind, etc... he can ask for a special attention review from the board. Also, if he has paid anything toward his restitution, he can also ask for a time cut for that. The biggest time cuts I have seen in the last several months via BOP hearing results are for those offenders with a one way ticket out of the state. Let me know if you have questions or if I can give you any additional information.