Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > AUSTRALIA / NZ PRISON FORUMS > Australia/NZ General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Australia/NZ General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh.. And thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM

Do all inmates in the same facility have the same P.O box?
This would be my 1st time sending an inmate mail and I don't want it to end up elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Donation Award 

Hi John, My Husband said if you wanted to know more just to PM me and i will print it off send it to him then he will write back and let you know more and in depth He said when you go to Gen someone gets bashed everyday where as in Protection if there is such a whisper or a threat it is taken seriously and the whole unit is locked down, He said if you do decide to dob the Screws know what your there for and are told to keep an eye on you ect but he said there are a few 'dogs' that are in there that prefer to stay in their Cell all day every day so the choice is still up to you .. A person killed themselves yesterday in his Unit so they were locked down all day and not allowed out at all so things like that sometimes you have no choice but to stay in your cell all day .. Hubby said its not as bad as you think it does take a few weeks to get use to it but it makes you appreciate the world alot more. As for BCC he said it is alot rougher there, The Screws are nasty but you will usually only spend up to 28 days there so if you keep your head down, Mouth shut you will be fine just as my Husband did At the end of the day its your decision what to do no one elses

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Brown Beauty .. Yes all PO Boxes are the Same .. Well as far as i know they are

Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Donation Award 

Once Sentenced, it does not change, unless you go back to Court, as in the Appeal Court. However there are ways that some people benefit. As in through the Parole Board, getting moved to a better unit, assistance when released etc. This is a lot less obvious or public.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 AM

Thanks Prisonwife - Might send you a PM.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens over the next month or so...

Cheers
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Donation Award 

Is there a certain amount of times you can have mail sent back before you get in trouble??

I have sent my husband a few things that have been sent back, firstly i was sending him crosswords ect and now all of a sudden i am no longer allowed to send them as they keep getting sent back, Then i sent him a CD .. They sent it back TWICE saying it was a DVD which it certainly is not and now they are sending back photos i have taken, I just print them out instead of going down to Big W and getting them printed off there and they are saying these are Internet Photos :S So yeah LOL Just wondering if you can get in trouble for sending items like that to many times

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Donation Award 

Hey John Smith No worries Hubby said he would be glad to let you know

Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonWife88 View Post
Is there a certain amount of times you can have mail sent back before you get in trouble??

I have sent my husband a few things that have been sent back, firstly i was sending him crosswords ect and now all of a sudden i am no longer allowed to send them as they keep getting sent back, Then i sent him a CD .. They sent it back TWICE saying it was a DVD which it certainly is not and now they are sending back photos i have taken, I just print them out instead of going down to Big W and getting them printed off there and they are saying these are Internet Photos :S So yeah LOL Just wondering if you can get in trouble for sending items like that to many times
I doubt it. That would require more organisational ability than I've ever noticed them having LOL. I had the same problems with magazines. First you could send them. Then you couldn't. Then you could for a while. Then you couldn't. Finally I gave up. Also books. What I ended up doing was photocopying books and sending them to him. That seemed OK (but stupid and time/resource consuming). I sent photos no problems. I also made him a calendar with photos of us all on each page and little notes typed in on various special days. It was his prized possession. That had no problems getting in.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Donation Award 

The rules keep changing... lol. I agree with Becky2 about their ability to remember each sender tho. Which is a good thing! we are not allowed stickers, so if you were putting anything onto the photos, Best to leave it off, or write directly onto the paper. I have sent in crossword books, but there must be no writing at all in them, so if a puzzle has been started, take that page out. There is a limit as to how many reading books he is allowed at any time, so if he has several, new ones will be sent back without explanation. Keep sending things, on the understanding that some will come back, but on the other hand, he will get some things :-) bit of a pleasant surprise for you both :-) Good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Donation Award 

I just think its funny as my Husband said the Crosswords were allowed in on the Monday and the Wednesday but the ones i sent on the Tuesday were sent back to me :/ Maybe its whoever is checking the mail as they send back items they have previously allowed in :/ I also did up a calandar through Big W and got photos of his children and i put on it and they refused it and sent it to his property box .. Now he has to apply to get it out ?? Like why would they refuse a Calandar! Gah they annoy me! LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonWife88 View Post
I just think its funny as my Husband said the Crosswords were allowed in on the Monday and the Wednesday but the ones i sent on the Tuesday were sent back to me :/ Maybe its whoever is checking the mail as they send back items they have previously allowed in :/ I also did up a calandar through Big W and got photos of his children and i put on it and they refused it and sent it to his property box .. Now he has to apply to get it out ?? Like why would they refuse a Calandar! Gah they annoy me! LOL
Did the calendar have a twisted wire spring thing holding it together? They wouldn't like that. I did mine all on the computer so nothing was stuck on and I used staples to hold it together. That got through fine. Apparently you can't injure anyone with a staple LOL. I wasn't allowed to send books though. Correction....I could send paperbacks in one place but not hardcovers. I could send hardcover but not paperback in another. But for the other places (he was in 6 altogether) I couldn't send books at all.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Donation Award 

No my Calendar was just one of the normal hanging ones that you stick to a cork board .. I think there is just one bitchy person there that doesnt let anything though that works on the Tuesdays LOL

Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 AM

if your photos were printed onto A4 paper they wont go through as they have to be on the proper paper otherwise they say they are internet generated....i used all my ink printing photos for my daughter and they all got sent back, so now i go and get them printed.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzz View Post
Can someone tell me how the appeals work and how long they take?? Just thought i would aske and i am finding it kinda hard to find any info on them.

not sure if you got the info you needed but we just got done with our appeal for verdict and sentence and it took 18 months in total and that is in VIC if you want any info im glad to help
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch View Post
not sure if you got the info you needed but we just got done with our appeal for verdict and sentence and it took 18 months in total and that is in VIC if you want any info im glad to help
Was the sentenced reduced ? Is so by how much ?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 AM

Becky does cessnock allow books?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Oh I've only just read this. I sent my gorgeous guy some photos last week printed on A4 paper and they got through... 11 all up. It's odd what they do and do not allow from centre to centre & officer to officer... So the issue of Internet pics is?? What? That they may not be you or people known to them? Could download pics off FB and have them professionally printed - how on earth would they know where the pic originated from? Common sense really isn't too common across the Australian Correctional System. *scratches head*

The Following User Says Thank You to bombshell For This Useful Post:
MissBeretta (10-09-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Default Video Link or Videoconference visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D7 View Post
If you have any queries regarding the Australian prison system, please post them HERE and all of us members here will attempt to answer them for you

Cheers
Hi, does anyone know where i would go to have a videolink/video conference call? My boyfriend is in an interstate prison and allowed to have a visit with me via videolink/videoconference on a regular basis but I have no idea where to go to organize it,I am in Victoria. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuka View Post
Hi, does anyone know where i would go to have a videolink/video conference call? My boyfriend is in an interstate prison and allowed to have a visit with me via videolink/videoconference on a regular basis but I have no idea where to go to organize it,I am in Victoria. Any help greatly appreciated.
I would call the prison and ask them. Have you spoken to them at all?

PTO New Staff Search for March and April 2013
Click HERE to learn more about joining Team PTO
The Following User Says Thank You to Becky2 For This Useful Post:
runamuka (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 AM

I would call the prison too, that's great advice. I'm in NSW and our Legal Aid Offices can organise those too. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjung For This Useful Post:
runamuka (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2 View Post
I would call the prison and ask them. Have you spoken to them at all?
Yes I rang them to ask if it was skype (we had weekly skype visits before he was moved) they said no it was via videolink and look for public video conference/videolink in my local community.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjung View Post
I would call the prison too, that's great advice. I'm in NSW and our Legal Aid Offices can organise those too. Good luck.
Thanks, i will ring them and see if they can help me.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Hi was wondering if anyone knew how far the Bunbury prison was from the town?
I'm planning to go visit my man up there, I'm from Victoria so trying to organize accommodation, transport etc.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 AM

Hi there,I'm new to this blog. I'm even new all of this prison things;( I'm European,I've been living in Aussie land for 3years, my boyfriend is Aussie...I'm on a student visa..my boyfriend has been in prison since last year,he has got 10months left. We have been together for 1year and he wants to marry me.. My question is can I apply for some other visa than student one even of he so still locked in there? I mean some partner visa..he always ask me for it, I don't think so..Problem is when he is gonna be released,I've got like 3months left and my visa will expired..another question is if we got married when he is on parole,would we still able to apply for marriage visa..Oh gosh,I love him but this is so complicated..thanks for sharing your experience ..hopefully someone has been in similar situation or can give me some advice...thank you very much