Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Default How often do men get raped in prison?

Just curious
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,640 Times in 10,443 Posts

It depends on who you ask. My man who has been incarcerated in several Illinois prisons over the past 17 or so years off and on will tell you that it is far less than you would think mainly because there are so many willing sexual partners.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following User Says Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
Scott (09-05-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Sun dried Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,054 Times in 958 Posts

Down here in Florida State....Marty says the same thing.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
Patty (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,082 Posts

More than 15 years in prisons in three states (Florida, Washington State and Oregon) and I knew of maybe three actual "rapes" - and each of those involved some kind of instance where the "victim" had gotten into debt with the rapist (or his friends) and couldn't pay the debt back.

Patty is exactly right that there is no lack of willing sexual partners, so rape from a sexual standpoint doesn't exist. However, there are plenty of predators in prison and rape, no matter what the environment, is always about power and control.

Don't borrow, lend, do drugs, gamble, or generally be a jerk, and you won't have any trouble. No matter how cute you might be! Speaking from experience.
BenisMom (02-12-2012), Patty (09-05-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

i know this is off the subject a little bit, but in reference to the availability of sexual partners, has any of you seen the "lock-up" shows that show the men all decked out like a woman?? i was SHOCKED that the prison allows that. i mean one of them had a off the shoulder top on and cutoff shorts.!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,235 Posts

I saw that and could not believe they allow that. But, then again, if it prevents an actual rape of a non gay person.....

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Sun dried Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,054 Times in 958 Posts

The male prisoners have the same 'resources' as females do. With a little charm and wit, they too are only limited by their imagination.

Needles and thread....yeap, I can see it. Marty had a thermal made from regular tshirts. I thought it was awesome.

And, mates001, I wouldn't want the gay guys to get raped, either. Rape is rape, no matter who it's forced on. But, I just know that's not exactly how you meant for that to come out....

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
It depends on who you ask. My man who has been incarcerated in several Illinois prisons over the past 17 or so years off and on will tell you that it is far less than you would think mainly because there are so many willing sexual partners.
And word from Cali is exactly the same according to my guy who has spent the last 12 years touring the CDCR vacation options.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Account Suspended
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,993 Posts

During a visit earlier this year, my now ex pointed out a former celly of his, who he claimed was currently being raped by his current celly.

Whether the sex was forced or consentual, I do not know.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
More than 15 years in prisons in three states (Florida, Washington State and Oregon) and I knew of maybe three actual "rapes" - and each of those involved some kind of instance where the "victim" had gotten into debt with the rapist (or his friends) and couldn't pay the debt back.

Patty is exactly right that there is no lack of willing sexual partners, so rape from a sexual standpoint doesn't exist. However, there are plenty of predators in prison and rape, no matter what the environment, is always about power and control.

Don't borrow, lend, do drugs, gamble, or generally be a jerk, and you won't have any trouble. No matter how cute you might be! Speaking from experience.
That was cute ....."no matter how cute you might be! Speaking from experience "
Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 4,121 Times in 971 Posts

I think you have to stop and consider when you ask this question pertaining to prison rape in this day & time that prison has had safe guards put in place today that you didn’t see at one time say…20 years ago that specifically address the issue of prison rape. It was a horrific part of the Texas Dept of Corrections and it was a legacy that continued when the system changed it’s name to the Texas Dept Of Criminal Justice. It’s never happened to me, but to say that it is a myth is in error. You just don’t know how bad it really was at one in this state. You really don’t.
On a juvenile level where the Texas Youth Commission (TYC) is concerned, it has been a recent issue in which one unit near…was said to have had the 2nd highest sexual assault record in the nation among state juvenile detention facilities. I think TYC has changed its name since then, but I’m not sure.

Here in Texas, the Safe Prisons program was put into effect some time between the years of 2000-2005. There is a woman by the name of Sharon Wilson who was a judge in Ft. Worth who had a son that been convicted for something?...that was sent to a unit up near Wichita Falls called the Allred unit. He had repeatedly asked the prison admin and rank to move him due to a number of incidents in which he’d been sexually assaulted. It never happened. If I’m not mistaken, he committed suicide, but I’m not really sure about that. His mother, Sharon Wilson, is the person responsible for taking the initiative to see to it that legislation was passed regarding the Safe Prisons Program here in Texas.

Anytime you live in a 2 man cell, you are in a concealed environment of sorts that can be taken advantage of by someone who possibly has something like rape in mind. A lot of people don’t consider that or the fact that in the new era of ware housing inmates in which dormitories that hold anywhere from 50-100 men are commonly seen, it’s not as easy to victimize someone where there are others who are present will come to the rescue of someone often times in a situation like that.

Most all i.d. units in Texas have 2 man cells, but there are a number of facilities like transfer facilities, state jails and trustee camps that don’t have 2 man cells at all. To say that sexual assaults only occurs in 2 man dorms would be wrong, but any place where there’s a window of opportunity for something like this to happen is most often going to involve a blind spot or an area that concealed from the view of others and in particular the guards.

This is an issue that I personally took to heart where other men around me were concerned and it’s not something that I kid about or have much patience with when I see others that do. I vividly recall on the Michael unit near Palestine in 2005 an incident that I and some other men became involved in when a young man was caught in a situation where we put our freedom and our safety on the line for his sake. He was small in stature, he was young and he’d never been to prison before. The Michael unit is no cake walk and he was housed in a 2 man cell with someone that was deep into the gang thing. The youngster made the mistake of hanging out with his cellie in the day room and other places there on the unit when he first got there. In a short time, among the gang members that he was introduced to, there was talk that they’d planned to turn him into a prostitute and punk him out. I heard that early on, but didn’t pay much attention to it until someone came to my cell one night and asked me to become involved in the effort to keep that from happening. I don’t know what took place in the time that he was cellies with this guy who was heavy into the gang scene there on Michael, but when I made the decision to become involved I soon realized that it was no rumor or joke. There were only about 7 or 8 of us that were willing to do anything about the situation against a group that was considerably larger than that. The youngster was moved to another part of the unit when rank learned that a potential riot was in the making and a part from all that happened during and after that, I’ll never forget the look on his face from that moment on. The embarrassment, the humiliation and the struggle just to do the time in prison he was given was an effort beyond words. I felt so sorry for him. He often would not speak to anyone from that moment on and I have no doubt that during his time in the 2 man cell with that individual who was a gang member, that in all probability he was raped. He was also a red head and as I looked at him on many days I thought of what it would be to know that a son or a younger brother of mine would have to endure something as terrible as that and I not be there to help them.

When I look at the dark side of what prison has to me as a human being in the 15 years that I spent there, this is one issue that I can honestly say helped to create that a part of me I know to be the beast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebrand For This Useful Post:
BenisMom (02-12-2012), Rox73 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 AM

Thank you for your honesty and all I can say is...Wow...you put it down on paper very, very well
The Following User Says Thank You to perduesgirl For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,150 Times in 344 Posts

Great post FB as usual.

Two things that usually sting my eyes a lot when it comes to prison rape discussions:

1) Rape is NOT sex - it's violence. Genitals may be used during this violent act but that doesn't make it "sex". Just like if a scoop and a paddle were used (instead of genitalia) it wouldn't make it "cooking".

2) Rape therefore does NOT turn someone "out" (ie. someone who is raped doesn't "turn gay"). Gay people don't "secretly like rape". Gay people don't view rape differently than straight people either (ie. since he's gay he must like it).

3) Consensual sex is a matter of definition - if there is ANY kind of coercion, it's rape in my mind. Whether it's in the form of "protection", in exchange for food, cigarettes or other items.... doesn't matter, it's still rape. Unless the person goes for gay sex in prison purely for sexual release it's rape.

The last point should wake people up a little - even though it appears as "willing sex" it might not be after all. And even if it's hidden in the cell at night where one guy is pressuring another to "have sex" it's still rape. Just because everyone doesn't see it in there doesn't mean it's not going on in there.