Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > AUSTRALIA / NZ PRISON FORUMS > Australia/NZ General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Australia/NZ General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Megan Louise

Default Unwritten Prison Rules - Advice for First Time Inmates

When going to a correctional centre for the first time, it can be an extremely stressful period of your life. I must admit though from my own personal experience, prison was not as bad as I thought it could be. One thing to always remember is your time there is what you make of it. I never experienced any violence or threats while in custody. I thought I might share some inside information for people who for whatever reason end up behind bars and want to do it "easy" rather than "tough".

1) Never steal from other inmates. Rule No.1. It sounds odd being in prison with others that have larceny and other purloining records, but one thing that always gets a person bashed is stealing from another inmate. Usually the person who has stolen is placed "on show" in front of other inmates and is then taken back to a cell and bashed, or if there are screws around, taken to some secluded spot in the jail and bashed. If the screws see someone with a black-eye that inmate will almost invariably be taken to segregation/protection/IMU and will probably spend the rest of their sentence there. Inmates call protection the "boneyard".

2) Avoid going into another inmates cell alone unless you trust that person. An imates cell is their own personal space. You maybe accused of stealing or if someone doesn't like you and they say: "Come into my cell", it usually means a pretext for violence for whatever reason.

3) Never be seen being whispering to a screw or talking in private with them. Even though it may be no-one elses business and has nothing to do with other inmates, you may end up being labelled a "dog" or a "screwlover" and treated with contempt or suspicion. There have been previous cases of the police implanting informants in jail to get information.

4) Never ask anyone about what charges they are on. Be curtious but mind your own business. The biggest thing in jail is gossip and can get a lot of inmates into trouble when the wrong things are said about someone.

5) Try and make as many friends as possible. This maybe difficult and you will get some inmates who are rude or aggressive to you. I kept my distance from such inmates but I was always polite and never hassled them for anything. They will usually leave you alone. Having friends can get you out of trouble with other inmates and the screws. When you're with a group you dont get hassled. When you need something you can work things out without having to threaten anyone or pay for it. After being in custody for 6 months, I ended up with roughly 30 inmates I could call good friends. I still keep in contact with many of them in prison and on the outside. You never know if you'll ever end up back inside.

6) If you smoke or dont smoke always ask for your "free" pouch of tobacco at reception anyway. Tobacco is like a currency in prison. I don't know how many times I managed to get stationary, chocolates and other goodies in exchange for tobacco. Tobacco is also a great way to "break the ice" in forming new friendships. I would often have a cup of tea and chat with other inmates while having a smoke with them.

Last edited by Medea; 12-01-2004 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medea For This Useful Post:
isaeagle (04-23-2010), NeverGiveUpHope (06-04-2009), PrisonWife88 (05-07-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

Medea, that is very useful information. I am going to make this a "sticky" in the Australia forum, so it stays on the top of the lists of posts. This will be very useful for people that are headed to prison in Australia!!
Also when you state about never going into someone elses cells, I know in Queensland, that is a disciplinary write up, you go straight from Rez to secure. Was it like that where you were?

"It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them and a lifetime to forget them."
Old 12-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Megan Louise

Inmates only went to secure/segro if they were:

1) Causing problems for other inmates.

2) Causing problems for themselves.

3) Broke disciplinary measures or priosn rules.

Don't know of anyone sent elsewhere for merely being in another inmates cell.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 AM
20k posts one day..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,022 Times in 670 Posts

Thanks for the info, Medea!

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Thank you Medea -

Just last week I was arrested and charged with my first offences ever -

Out on bail now till first court appearence in 2 weeks.

I'm still reeling and don't fully understand what's going on.

My solicitor says evidence is high and may be best to cop a guilty plea vrs go to trial.

The difference is possibly 6 - 12 months vs 5 - 8 years.

I know what I've done wrong, and as it is I've already lost my family.

Truth is, the whole thing scares the crap out of me.

Paul
Old 05-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Well, I must say that these were very useful pieces of advice for me while I was in for my short stay. I found that the whole being in someone else's cell thing was enforced (as far as disciplinary action) was when two people were locked in, in a cell, which caused them to be breached, and they spent some time in the DU (detention unit).

I guess the thing I can think of to add to this list is that you should avoid getting into debt to other inmates. Whether it is a packet of tobacco, or a gambling debt, it all adds up, and the interest on these things tends to be high. I saw a lot of people get themselves in trouble by getting in over their heads and not being able to pay it back.

Inspite of the fact that gambling was not permitted (quote unquote), it was pretty rife, with everything from the TAB, to the lottery, footy picks worth hundreds of dollars... I guess it is a bit endemic in society, and what happens in society is reflected in prison too.

Like Medea said, your time is what you make it, and it can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. Once you get on a table, you have a permanent seat there, and it's pretty easy to make friends. I spent a lot of my time playing cards, backgammon, and chess and the like; it's surprising how a few games of 500 can make a morning disappear in no time. By the end of my time, I had joined the group of guys who worked out every day, and that gave me friendships with people outside my normal circle.

You have to watch what you say and to whom; there are a lot of people who are doing long laggons, or doing life who think nothing of going to DU/segro for a fight. Treat others with respect, and you will generally get the same in return.

Uhm... that's about all I can think of for the moment.
NeverGiveUpHope (06-04-2009)
Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Indeep is right

I would say for a newbie in prison you need to watch how much debt you get into the people who protest to be your friend will bash your head in just the same for an upaid debt.

It is easy to say, but do your own time quietly , don't get involved in the prison politic's and whilst easy to say it can be very hard to do. What ever you do don't get involved in drugs because at that point you have had it , seriously its a moment of relief, followed by hell.

As to problems you may face , pick your officer, some don't give a ****, they are the hero's and will give you nothing and take you no where , but there are some who do care and you need to find out who they are , won't be hard to tell.

I could write novel here , but I won't if you have a problem then ask for help or if you can't because your inside then ask you love one to , I know it hard because when it arises you don't know who to talk to , but we can help if you ask for it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:00 PM

i've been told of some rules too, from victoria prison's. never talk to another guys girl even if you've known them for years,& dont ever get with another guy and think your girl wont hear about it because it always gets out.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 AM
we will succeed

[ New to this form of communication ] ---- I once lost my 'd' open security rating [or yellow shirt] for stepping one foot inside a mate's cell to say goodmorning. The occupant [a lifer] was present. That's Alice Springs C C in a nutshell, backwards & there to punish you on top of sentencing. [ 4 1/2 years]

Last edited by positive; 12-03-2006 at 04:42 AM..
Old 12-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leishie
i've been told of some rules too, from victoria prison's. never talk to another guys girl even if you've known them for years,& dont ever get with another guy and think your girl wont hear about it because it always gets out.
That's pretty much a golden rule as far as visits go. Don't mess with anyone's family/friends/kids etc. It's that one sacred hour or two a week where everyone gets a little bit of the outside world.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 AM

im willing to answer any questions at all regarding Arthur Gorrie, Borallon and Palen Creek correctional centres
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Default Danish publisher wants to use this text in book

Dear Medea,

The Danish publisher Alinea would like to print your text on unwritten prison rules in a textbook. I hope you will give us permission to do this? The book is intended for the Danish state schools. Kind wishes, Alinea
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM
Banned

Default Jail Rules

Dear Medea

Unfortunately I have seen the inside of too many NSW prisons since 1993.
Your golden rules are very good BUT I have never heard of a inmate being forced into protection over a black eye or any injury really UNLESS they really were in danger ie- Very young or Very naive or wanted to. They can not make you go into Protection. If the Screws started to put every black eye inmate on Protection the main would soon be empty.
As far as not talking to Screws - In the maximum security jails it is still a rule BUT it is rule I see observed less & less.
The Deputy Governor at Muswellbrooke minimum security jail advised me in 1999 that 75% of the Jail were Dogs and would inform on the minutest detail and no misdemeanour or other wise would go un-noticed for longer then 40 minutes. He advised me that inmates were placing notes under his office door to Dog on other inmates. I would never talk to a Screw willingly and would bash anybody that did given half a chance. To be called a DOG in jail is the WORST right next to Rock Spider / Child Molester.
A big rule I did not notice was DO NOT PUT ANY BODY ON THE PROMISE FOR ANYTHING !!
Putting people on the PROMISE is A BIG THING in jail and if you don`t pull through with your promise you could be in big trouble. Even a promise for something trivial or small can cause you to be bashed.
A FREE pouch of tobacco is also a thing of the past at many jails and not a given as you seem to indicate.
Dont be DIRTY or a CHAT as it is called in jail is another big rule. Even though it is a Jail Rule that you must shower every day people who leave their cells dirty and don`t look after them selves can cause them selves unnecessary trouble and a reason to be disliked by all including screws.

Another tip I have for people who think they might be going to jail-The day of court pack a backpac with GOOD greens and Shoes underpants and socks. As soon as the Judge says TAKE HIM AWAY haha.. Start to get undressed RIGHT THERE in the court room. Take your suit off and put your greens on. The screw will take you to another room usually if possible but REFUSE to go the cells in your expensive suit. They usually take your clothes and shoes off you at reception and make you wear their CRAP but you can get it back latter by putting in a Blue requisition form-BLUEY.
If anybody has any questions about Cessnock, Musswellbrooke, MTC, MRC, New SilverWater, Kempsey or Wellington, Long Bay, Paramatta even Old Maitland Jail please just ask.
My last experience inside was in 2007-08.

Cheers-ScrewKiller.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Aroha Pepe < 3
Donation Award 

I would also like to add. In New Zealand, from the 1st of July, smoking is banned in prison. So the rule about getting the smokes is a big no no over here now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnos_girl For This Useful Post:
gexayu (08-06-2012)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Wow, that's gotta be tough on the guys. What alternative are they offering?

I imagine that would be someone's idea of a nightmare, a prison full of inmates going cold turkey. :P
gexayu (08-06-2012)
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Aroha Pepe < 3
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInOz View Post
Wow, that's gotta be tough on the guys. What alternative are they offering?

I imagine that would be someone's idea of a nightmare, a prison full of inmates going cold turkey. :P
My man is a none smoker thank goodness lol. But he has told me that they hav tho patches 4 them. There is also a lot of sports things going on too.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwkiller View Post
Dear Medea

Unfortunately I have seen the inside of too many NSW prisons since 1993.
Your golden rules are very good BUT I have never heard of a inmate being forced into protection over a black eye or any injury really UNLESS they really were in danger ie- Very young or Very naive or wanted to. They can not make you go into Protection. If the Screws started to put every black eye inmate on Protection the main would soon be empty.
As far as not talking to Screws - In the maximum security jails it is still a rule BUT it is rule I see observed less & less.
The Deputy Governor at Muswellbrooke minimum security jail advised me in 1999 that 75% of the Jail were Dogs and would inform on the minutest detail and no misdemeanour or other wise would go un-noticed for longer then 40 minutes. He advised me that inmates were placing notes under his office door to Dog on other inmates. I would never talk to a Screw willingly and would bash anybody that did given half a chance. To be called a DOG in jail is the WORST right next to Rock Spider / Child Molester.
A big rule I did not notice was DO NOT PUT ANY BODY ON THE PROMISE FOR ANYTHING !!
Putting people on the PROMISE is A BIG THING in jail and if you don`t pull through with your promise you could be in big trouble. Even a promise for something trivial or small can cause you to be bashed.
A FREE pouch of tobacco is also a thing of the past at many jails and not a given as you seem to indicate.
Dont be DIRTY or a CHAT as it is called in jail is another big rule. Even though it is a Jail Rule that you must shower every day people who leave their cells dirty and don`t look after them selves can cause them selves unnecessary trouble and a reason to be disliked by all including screws.

Another tip I have for people who think they might be going to jail-The day of court pack a backpac with GOOD greens and Shoes underpants and socks. As soon as the Judge says TAKE HIM AWAY haha.. Start to get undressed RIGHT THERE in the court room. Take your suit off and put your greens on. The screw will take you to another room usually if possible but REFUSE to go the cells in your expensive suit. They usually take your clothes and shoes off you at reception and make you wear their CRAP but you can get it back latter by putting in a Blue requisition form-BLUEY.
If anybody has any questions about Cessnock, Musswellbrooke, MTC, MRC, New SilverWater, Kempsey or Wellington, Long Bay, Paramatta even Old Maitland Jail please just ask.
My last experience inside was in 2007-08.

Cheers-ScrewKiller.

Screwkiller,

Great post I need all the info I can get.

As my name suggests inlimbo Iím on my way in Sep/Oct so my solicitor says. Anyway, I was burnt to about 50% of my body (hands, arms and legs mostly) Iím about 80% recovered I was told by my solicitor that Iíd probably get around 2-3 years he also mentioned that Iíd do most of my time at long bay in the recovery part of the medical section or some farm somewhere. The question I have is more around the dog situation. I donít want to be around those types of people. When you said 75% of the jail were dogís mate do you think thatíd be the same for most minimum security jails? Also do you have any info on the recovery part of long bay? Iíve got a few more questions but donít want to overdo it for now.

Cheers Inlimbo,
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

General Alert:
Please be aware when replying to this thread that many of the posts are a number of years old, and the users who made them are either inactive, or no longer frequent these forums.

Hi inlimbo, welcome to PTO!

Sounds like you have a hard road to travel yet. :|

I can't speak to the percentage of people who are dogs, or informers in prison, although a lot of inmates who turn states evidence go into protection as a result. At the end of the day, be careful what you say to people. You will get a fair idea of who are the people to not associate yourself with (i.e. the aforementioned dogs, and the other bottom-feeders), or other people will often warn you. It's for your own safety at the end of the day, a rumour doesn't have to necessarily be true to cause problems for you, and it's better to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

Take care,

Dave/MIO
b_boy (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 AM

Cheers Dave,

I’m normally a pretty good judge of charter I’m just a bit concerned with my injuries I don’t need or want the hassle.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Hi MadeInOz
I feel sorry for inmates these days. The good old cigarette has managed to be quite a therapeutic and calming resolution to alot of the daily dramas prison life has to offer. I served 10yrs of a life sentence in 2 NZ prisons and reckon that a smoke has good effects although no good for your health obviously. I would have lost the plot if smoking was banned during my time. My first few years were the toughest, pschologically, and smoking helped get me through it. The system had better come up with a dam good substitute because the slightest thing can and will cause violence. I've seen firsthand, even when smoking was allowed, the mental anguish, cravings and torment that inmates go through. It's easy to say positive things about giving it up, but in reality, those in power should step into the shoes of those who simply don't have support and the cigarette, evil that it is, is the only comfort and ease that alot of inmates have.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1192/92 For This Useful Post:
MadeInOz (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi Inlimbo,
In NZ, your Dogs as you guys call it, are Narks to us. Unfortunately, prisons are full of them, even the least suspected ones. My suggestion is to tell nothing to no-one.
I served 10yrs of a life sentence and trust me, you'll never meet 'friends' inside, only associates.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1192/92 For This Useful Post:
MadeInOz (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Hi 1192/92 and welcome to PTO!

I am very grateful that although I smoked for a short period of time in college, I was able to kick the habit. I also did not smoke while I was in prison, but I saw a lot of people who were forced by their smoking habit to go to horrendous lengths to feed it.

The thing with friends in prison is that you cannot be an island. At the end of the day, you need to find people who you can associate with. From a sanity perspective alone, you need to have people around you, and there is safety in numbers. By the same token however, you need to protect yourself, like 1192 says.
1192/92 (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInOz View Post
Hi 1192/92 and welcome to PTO!

I am very grateful that although I smoked for a short period of time in college, I was able to kick the habit. I also did not smoke while I was in prison, but I saw a lot of people who were forced by their smoking habit to go to horrendous lengths to feed it.

The thing with friends in prison is that you cannot be an island. At the end of the day, you need to find people who you can associate with. From a sanity perspective alone, you need to have people around you, and there is safety in numbers. By the same token however, you need to protect yourself, like 1192 says.
I agree that one cannot be an island, I like others had many associates but the friend factor for me was different. I did alot of positive things inside and even got to teach my own class, met 1000's of people, worked every day, had alot of good times and laughs. It's a juggling act where you still need to hold a few cards tight to your chest. One of my favourite quotes, "Solitude is a good place to visit but a poor place to stay". Thanks for the welcome and if I can assist anybody for whatever reason, I'm here to help.