Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > Military Prison & UCMJ > Military Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Military Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all military prisons.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Release from USDB

When an inmate has served his time:

Will he be taken to and released at the Fort Leavenworth's main-gate?
Who can pick him up?
What clothes will he be wearing?
What items (i.e., money, identification, personal effects, etc) will he have?

I'd appreciate any other info that may be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwc View Post
When an inmate has served his time:

Will he be taken to and released at the Fort Leavenworth's main-gate?
Who can pick him up?
What clothes will he be wearing?
What items (i.e., money, identification, personal effects, etc) will he have?

I'd appreciate any other info that may be helpful.
I can only tell you from my experience when I was released from the DB over 15 years ago, so keep in mind that some things may have changed since then.

I was allowed to receive two sets of civilian clothes sent from my family about a week before I was released so that is what I was wearing. I was given an I.D. card, blue gym bag, and a check for $25. I was taken someplace on the post to cash the check & driven out the main gate and let out at a small plaza across the street from the post. That is where my family was waiting to pick me up.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM

The inmate's family has occasionally sent him money orders (to pay for snacks, tennis shoes, telephone calls, etc) plus other items (i.e, books, art supplies, etc).

Besides the civilian clothes, an I.D. card, a blue gym bag and a check for $25, does the inmate get any his remaining money and other items when he is picked up by his family?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM

If memory serves me, I believe he will be given the opportunity to mail his personal belongings home at his own expense prior to his release. If he has any money on the books it will be given to him when he is released.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 PM
One Day At A Time

I asked my son once if I could just pick him up at the door and he said no. He said that when someone is released, they are put on a bus to their home of record (as determined by parole). How accurate this is, I don't know. I'd rather drive him myself! By then, maybe we'll have cars that fly....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM

One responder says "I can only tell you from my experience when I was released from the DB over 15 years ago".

Another responder says "If memory serves me...".

Another responder says "How accurate this is...".

Does anyone have CURRENT and ACCURATE answers to my questions?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
One Day At A Time

We can only speak from our experiences, sorry. I know it's frustrating to not have discrete answers to your questions, but that is why PTO is here. To help each other find our way through this maze. Our best hope is that someone who JUST LEFT will find the forum and give us Current and Accurate information. Researching service regulations is a good way to get some information, but even then a lot of questions require facility-specific answers. Keep asking. and keep the faith!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM

If your loved one is coming up for release then he should be able to answer these questions for you. When you find out, post the answers here to share with others.
The Following User Says Thank You to A-Z For This Useful Post:
Paralegal USA (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Donation Award 

I found this number, you should try it, the people that work there should be able to give you the most accurate information.
Directorate of Inmate Administration
1301 Warehouse Rd
Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027
(913) 758-3646

Times change and even day to day the rules change depending on the civilian or guard. Sorry thats the truth.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM

My husband was released from the Charleston Brig almost 3 years ago. He only did 6 months, so my information might not apply to those of you that have someone doing a long period of time.

He was released to me in the parking lot of the Brig wearing his utilties. I had some jeans and a t-shirt in the car for him. We went to a fast food restaurant where he changed. That goodness he had a belt because he was swimming in his clothes!

I don't think we ever put much money on his account, so he didn't really have any left so to speak. He had his sea bag with him with all of his mail, etc.

I hope this helps a little!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I liv 4 God n luv Brandon

I know someone who was recently released (well, shoot, it's been nearly a year ago for him, now!) and he was released at "the bus stop" which is the parking lot just across the street from the Commander's Inn (a hotel across on Metropolitan Avenue). There was a list of clothing items that needed to be sent to him (clothes to wear, a belt, etc.), and I think he got all of his money back when he got out.

He wasn't shipped home on a bus, but his family picked him up there (in July 2009). Also, it didn't matter who picked him up, I think. It wasn't like an on-base event and it wasn't very well regulated. If you want to PM me, I can contact the family and the former inmate with specific questions.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Whats his name