Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison > Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified Discussion
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified Discussion Forum for discussions concerning Trans-Gender, Trans-Identified issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2009, 06:18 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trans gendered treatment

south eastern Georgia,dose any one know if one has any right to continue medical treatment in prison?i been on hormones 8 months and lived most my life as a female and might be looking at doing time iam like terrified,i have birth deffects but am probbably still classifiyed as male,Please help!!1 thanks,Tammy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM
only1love's Avatar
only1love only1love is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunshine State, USA
Posts: 4,846
Thanks: 2,360
Thanked 5,128 Times in 2,375 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylynn58 View Post
south eastern Georgia,dose any one know if one has any right to continue medical treatment in prison?i been on hormones 8 months and lived most my life as a female and might be looking at doing time iam like terrified,i have birth deffects but am probbably still classifiyed as male,Please help!!1 thanks,Tammy

As far as I know, there isn't a policy for hormonal therapy for your needs in prison. I would suggest that this information be part of the pre-sentencing report and therefore well documented. I would also have copies of your medical records available to present to the jail physician. Your lawyer may have more information on this.
In the federal system, you would be housed in a male facility since in the federal system, they go by the gender at birth.
Also, in the federal system, your clothing, including underwear is provided and there are no choices. I am not certain what the rules are on the state level.
__________________

Last edited by only1love; 08-16-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
IrishFire's Avatar
IrishFire IrishFire is offline
Love Knows...
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Sunshine State - Florida
Posts: 975
Thanks: 1,045
Thanked 862 Times in 426 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylynn58 View Post
south eastern Georgia,dose any one know if one has any right to continue medical treatment in prison?i been on hormones 8 months and lived most my life as a female and might be looking at doing time iam like terrified,i have birth deffects but am probbably still classifiyed as male,Please help!!1 thanks,Tammy
This is just a guess, but I would think it would depend on how far along you are in treatment. Trying to be discreet and respectful, I"m thinking it would depend on your "body parts." By "birth defects" if you are saying you have both male and female genitalia I would think your attorney could argue on your behalf.

Also, you say you might be looking at doing time, depending on your charge, it is possible the judge would find it more cost effective to put you on probation or house arrest. I once saw a woman, charged for the THIRD time for forging prescriptions, get released to house arrest because she was awaiting a lung transplant. If it happened with she was locked up, the state would be responsible for her surgery and follow up treatment. The Judge, while he admitted he had misgivings about his decision, felt it was in the TAXPAYERS best interest that her insurance company continued her treatment, rather than the public.

You may want to check out the Transgendered forum here on PTO, they may be able to give you personal experience advice.

I wish you well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishFire For This Useful Post:
StormChild (09-13-2009)
  #4  
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you all fore talking the time to share your information with me,,,,I appreciate you and am praying fore good out come,,,,Thanks again,Tammy,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 AM
new lady new lady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Secret for security reasons
Posts: 147
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Gender by birth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1love View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a policy for hormonal therapy for your needs in prison. I would suggest that this information be part of the pre-sentencing report and therefore well documented. I would also have copies of your medical records available to present to the jail physician. Your lawyer may have more information on this.
In the federal system, you would be housed in a male facility since in the federal system, they go by the gender at birth.
Also, in the federal system, your clothing, including underwear is provided and there are no choices. I am not certain what the rules are on the state level.
When I handeled these things it was presence of the penis. When it has changed? (For great majority it does not matter however)
Also BOP manual says that doctor described hormony therapy will be continued at same level.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 AM
new lady new lady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Secret for security reasons
Posts: 147
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Oops!

For you TammyLynn it may not mean difference. However some people definations by birth or by genitalia means totally different.

Last edited by new lady; 10-03-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Security reasons
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1love View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a policy for hormonal therapy for your needs in prison. I would suggest that this information be part of the pre-sentencing report and therefore well documented. I would also have copies of your medical records available to present to the jail physician. Your lawyer may have more information on this.
In the federal system, you would be housed in a male facility since in the federal system, they go by the gender at birth.
Also, in the federal system, your clothing, including underwear is provided and there are no choices. I am not certain what the rules are on the state level.
Ok Thanks fore taking the time to write me the info might be of help,,,,how are you doing ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by new lady View Post
For you TammyLynn it may not mean difference. However some people definations by birth or by genitalia means totally different.
Oh ok thou i really dident understand but thanks fore geting back with me,,,,iam still waiting trial been on bond 2 years now been on hromones 16 months now,,,,will take care and drop me a line,,,,hugs Tammy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFire View Post
This is just a guess, but I would think it would depend on how far along you are in treatment. Trying to be discreet and respectful, I"m thinking it would depend on your "body parts." By "birth defects" if you are saying you have both male and female genitalia I would think your attorney could argue on your behalf.

Also, you say you might be looking at doing time, depending on your charge, it is possible the judge would find it more cost effective to put you on probation or house arrest. I once saw a woman, charged for the THIRD time for forging prescriptions, get released to house arrest because she was awaiting a lung transplant. If it happened with she was locked up, the state would be responsible for her surgery and follow up treatment. The Judge, while he admitted he had misgivings about his decision, felt it was in the TAXPAYERS best interest that her insurance company continued her treatment, rather than the public.

You may want to check out the Transgendered forum here on PTO, they may be able to give you personal experience advice.

I wish you well.
Thank you so much fore the info,,,Take care !!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tammylynn5858 For This Useful Post:
heckster (07-26-2010)
  #10  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 PM
heckster's Avatar
heckster heckster is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: england
Posts: 28
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

new york definately allows ts,s to continue with the drugs the person was on when they were on the outside. it probably differs from state to state. best of luck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Niki Niki is offline
Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,875
Thanks: 6,851
Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,024 Posts
Default

I know of one person who is in the same prison as my son that was partway through the process of changing gender when he was sent to prison. He is allowed to continue taking his hormones and says he's allowed to wear a sports bra under his T-shirt but, because he hasn't had that final surgery yet he has to be housed in the male prison. He's had some problems in his dorm but he can definitely fight when he needs to.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you all so much fore your time and thoughtfulness !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Will Birth sex says one thing but your right one never knows,I had always known to be different and really transgendered but found out awhile back ture medical tests that i am Hermaphrodite Meaning in my case i have overys and testicals and clitious and penis ,,,,over whelmed yes ,,,,Its different,,,So now what,will I been on female hormones about 3 years now and also have lived most my life as female but cant get a job cause I have difficultie passing in society as female,,,,would love to hear from others,,,,Iam facing possible time out on bond going on 4 years now fore a 1 degree bugerry,,,I live in south eastern Georgia,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: TRUE !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new lady View Post
For you TammyLynn it may not mean difference. However some people definations by birth or by genitalia means totally different.
I posted a message bellow on the page,,,,of interests !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
tammylynn5858 tammylynn5858 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 43
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Thank You sweetie !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFire View Post
This is just a guess, but I would think it would depend on how far along you are in treatment. Trying to be discreet and respectful, I"m thinking it would depend on your "body parts." By "birth defects" if you are saying you have both male and female genitalia I would think your attorney could argue on your behalf.

Also, you say you might be looking at doing time, depending on your charge, it is possible the judge would find it more cost effective to put you on probation or house arrest. I once saw a woman, charged for the THIRD time for forging prescriptions, get released to house arrest because she was awaiting a lung transplant. If it happened with she was locked up, the state would be responsible for her surgery and follow up treatment. The Judge, while he admitted he had misgivings about his decision, felt it was in the TAXPAYERS best interest that her insurance company continued her treatment, rather than the public.

You may want to check out the Transgendered forum here on PTO, they may be able to give you personal experience advice.

I wish you well.
I posted an update message on this page to be alittle more specific,,,,Hugs,Tammylynn
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
need opinion !!!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics