Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison Profiles > Georgia Private Prisons > Wheeler Correctional Facility
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Wheeler Correctional Facility Topics and discussion specific to Wheeler Correctional Facility

Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 AM

Dear Favoured,
thank you very much for your help. I will try to do so next week. Yesterday I called the Wheelers and they told me, that I have to talk to an officer bevore. As it will take some time to get in real contact with him, I wrote a letter yesterday, so I hope he will know about my search very fast.
Have an nice day and greetings from Frankfurt / Germany!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incisivley View Post
Dear Favoured,
thank you very much for your help. I will try to do so next week. Yesterday I called the Wheelers and they told me, that I have to talk to an officer bevore. As it will take some time to get in real contact with him, I wrote a letter yesterday, so I hope he will know about my search very fast.
Have an nice day and greetings from Frankfurt / Germany!
I am glad that i was some help to you and please know that if there's anymore information you need i'm here.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.ellis28 View Post
Can someone tell me about Wheeler Correctional Facility in Alamo, Ga. I need any info given
I do know that Wheeler is a medium security and that a majority of the inmates are not there that long, not all but the majority. It is located about 2 1/2 hours away from atlanta and if you want to go visit you will need to call first to see which visitation time your loved one is on. There are two the first is fom 830am-130pm and the second is 2:30p-7:30p. Hope that helps with your question. If you need more information, let me know
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Willing to Wait

My boyfriend just got transferred to Wheeler last night. Any info would be great. Like how visitation works, when they're able to call, any info on classes or work detail or anything. I haven't gotten any information other than the address to write him to.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM

My husband was just transferred to Wheeler last night. Anyone have info on visitation, money(since I know it goes straight to the prison there, I believe). How is visitation there?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:46 PM

You may have the info on Wheeler by now, but I can tell you to send money I have sent either a money order or cashier's check in mail to my son and it is put on his account. I believe all mail is opened, but be sure to mention in your letter how much you're putting on his account. Never had a problem, just a personal safety idea.
Call ahead for visitation hours and when you can attend. You can take up to $10 in quarters in a plastic baggie for vending machines in visiting room. Only you can go over to machines.
Hope that helps.

Anyone familiar with Terrell Co.? My son just transferred there.
The Following User Says Thank You to kcb0124 For This Useful Post:
jdahl (02-22-2012)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM

My fiance was just transferred to Wheeler Corr. Facility from Calhoun State Prison a couple of weeks ago. He says it's a nicer location than Calhoun. They get 3 hot meals, they have A/C, Flat screen televisions, etc., I haven't heard that it is a short term facility, but I do know that it is one of 3 private prisons in the State of GA.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks for responding! My husband seems to like it better! I hope this move was a good move as the atmosphere is totally different at Wheeler than anywhere he has been! But, we hope we are on the last leg of our journey with this move! Who knows? I have been to visitation 4 times already and we havent had any issues. I do have a missing money order that I have to call about today though! His mom's money order was mailed on a Saturday and was posted to his account on that Monday, but I have one that is now a week old that I am getting worried about! But, it will turn up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Poohbear2910 For This Useful Post:
earthangel884 (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM

cooleysgirl--No problem. My fiance seems to like it better as well. When he was at Calhoun State Prison in Morgan, GA, they didn't have A/C; he was sweating constantly, the people there were rude. He said the entire prison was ghetto and no one had any professionalism about themselves; even the counselors. I hope this is our last stop as well. We should have a TPM soon, my fiance said sometime in September...I sure hope so. The wait is driving me crazy. Every time I look it up online it always says "No Decision"... How was visitation, if you don't mind me asking--is it laid back, or is it. I haven't been yet, and I plan on going this weekend. My fiance gave me 2 diff times. He didn't say that he was on a certain time, though. I guess I should just call up there and see which time he is on. I sent a money order out on Thursday; and my fiance got his Saturday. I know sometimes they get backed up in the mail room and there may be a delay in getting the mail...I'm sure it will turn up soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthangel884 View Post
cooleysgirl--No problem. My fiance seems to like it better as well. When he was at Calhoun State Prison in Morgan, GA, they didn't have A/C; he was sweating constantly, the people there were rude. He said the entire prison was ghetto and no one had any professionalism about themselves; even the counselors. I hope this is our last stop as well. We should have a TPM soon, my fiance said sometime in September...I sure hope so. The wait is driving me crazy. Every time I look it up online it always says "No Decision"... How was visitation, if you don't mind me asking--is it laid back, or is it. I haven't been yet, and I plan on going this weekend. My fiance gave me 2 diff times. He didn't say that he was on a certain time, though. I guess I should just call up there and see which time he is on. I sent a money order out on Thursday; and my fiance got his Saturday. I know sometimes they get backed up in the mail room and there may be a delay in getting the mail...I'm sure it will turn up soon.
Thanks! It turned up today after I called! Visitation is laid back there. We havent had any problems at visitation and everyone seems to be nice there. I will be there this weekend. I am not sure what day I will be going yet. Do you know what unit he is in? Visitation is specific to what unit he is in and it changes every 90 days. For example, the unit my husband is in has visitation now on Saturdays from 830-130 and on Sunday from 230-730. In October, his unit will change to 230-730 on Saturday and 830-130 on Sunday. Where are you driving from?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM

I'm glad they found it! When my fiance wrote me, he told me that his visitation is 830-130 on Saturdays and 230-730 on Sunday; so your husband and my fiance are on the same unit. I want to go Saturday morning because I hate driving those back roads at night. I'm coming from Southeast Georgia (Tifton, GA to be exact) and Alamo, GA is about 1.5 hours from here. Not a long drive at all. Where are you driving from?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

I am sending you a PM!!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM

can somebody please help me, my husband just got transfered there a few weeks ago, and we were supposed to have a special request visitation, that it never went throught ,.. how do i know if im on the list?? ,, how do i get on the list if im not??
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanity21 View Post
can somebody please help me, my husband just got transfered there a few weeks ago, and we were supposed to have a special request visitation, that it never went throught ,.. how do i know if im on the list?? ,, how do i get on the list if im not??

Hi Vanity21..welcome!

Your hubby has to put you on the list in order for you to be approved for visitation. The phone number to Wheeler is 912-568-1731. Call them and tell them that who your call is in reference to (your hubby), give them his GDC ID#, if you know if, and they should be able to transfer you to the correct counselor; the counselor will be able to let you know if you're on the visitation list--if not, he/she will give you specific instructions on what you need to do to get on the list. They are really friendly people; they're nothing like the state-prisons. They're nice and family-oriented. I hope this helps! Good Luck!
jdahl (02-25-2012)
Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 AM

Default Wheeler

Im not sure how long ago you wrote this, but is your son still at Wheeler? I also live in TN and a loved one has just been sent there, this is also very new for me. Any info would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcb0124 View Post
My son has been sent to Wheeler and I can't find any informatio online concerning care packages, vistation, basically ANYTHING! We have never been in this situation before, so I'm a true "newbie." He is having trouble getting this information as well. What can families do and not do? What does TPM stand for? I'd really be grateful for any help from anyone familiar with this facility. We are a 7 hour drive from him in TN. I would hate to go down there and then not be able to visit him. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance for ANY help at all!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Donation Award 

Greetings abw38103 ,

welcome to the ga forum. I hope you find the information you seek. to you and your family.

Last edited by kae; 12-31-2010 at 02:35 AM..
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM

My fiancée is at wheeler and its been okay for him at times, he says that every now and then there are issues with the professionalism of the staff, sometimes he says its run as a max security prison.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 AM

There are a few that are htere short term but what my fiance has told me there are guys there serving 10 year sentences. My fiance has 6 years but will be home in 2014.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM
1Thessalonians 5:18

Default ATTENTION: WHEELER CORRECTIONAL FACILITY ALAMO, GA(Please read)

Ok so my husband has been transfered to wcf and wanted to know if anyone else has a husband or love one here or just have any info on this facility responces if possible thanks bre
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM

Does anybody knw how they do the prison wedding in there
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM

Ride needed from the toombs county vidalia ga area to wheeler correctional facility can share gas cost and possible room cost unlicensed driver with no vehical prefer either day doesnt matter would prefer to stay whole time if not atleast half smoking no bother to me n0 kids to bring need immediate response if possible
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM

I was just there sunday and asked that same question and was told to ask the counselor and or the chaplain.

About wedding ceremonies.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM

[quote=amccaulla;5919614]I was just there sunday and asked that same question and was told to ask the counselor and or the chaplain.

About wedding ceremonies.[/QU YEAH ME AND MY FIANCE GOING TO DO THAT I CLD THE COURTS HE GOT TO HAVE ID AN HIS SSC TO DO THE MARRIAGE LICENSE BUT IF U DNT HAVE HIS SSC U CN HAVE TALK TO HIZ C0UNSLER THE SOCIAL SERCURITY OFFICE WORK WIT THE PRISONS HOW IS VISITATION
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM

[quote=bremariie;5920240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amccaulla View Post
I was just there sunday and asked that same question and was told to ask the counselor and or the chaplain.

About wedding ceremonies.[/QU YEAH ME AND MY FIANCE GOING TO DO THAT I CLD THE COURTS HE GOT TO HAVE ID AN HIS SSC TO DO THE MARRIAGE LICENSE BUT IF U DNT HAVE HIS SSC U CN HAVE TALK TO HIZ C0UNSLER THE SOCIAL SERCURITY OFFICE WORK WIT THE PRISONS HOW IS VISITATION
its cool , not so bad
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccaulla View Post

About wedding ceremonies.
my fiance has been there for a while and we are also in the process of getting ready to get married. he was told that i had to write the warden for permission. I had to tell the wardne why is it that i wanted to marry him and how it would benefit instead of hinder his progress. We were approved and i had to wait for a call from the chaplain to see what all i needed to do. He has to start the process by talking to the chaplain himself and then you can go from there. It is very rarely that the warden will deny a request for marriage, you then have to go to the city hall office in wheeler and apply for a marriage license and then bring it to the chaplain for him to give your loved one to sign. It is a processes but you will then be given a date to come with your witness for the ceremony.