Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Smile Freedom of Information Act-High Cost of Prison Phone Calls

I have submitted a FOIA request with the FCC requesting the 1) number of complaints they have received regarding the high cost of interstate prison phone calls in 2008 & 2009 and 2) number of complaints they have received regarding Correctional Billing Services in 2008 & 2009.

This is actually my second request. I closed my first one as the attorney-advisor who called me thought I wasn't being specific enough...I kind of feel I am going to get the run around with this...Only time will tell.

Has anyone done this within their own state? I would love to see a count of complaints filed within each state's public utility commission. I would also love to see a website with all of this info with a little map for all 50 states!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SthrnGirl77 For This Useful Post:
queenlynch (07-31-2012), scoopster (04-06-2011), SusanWayward (06-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Weeble
Donation Award 

Actually I have not but you just gave me a brillant idea. Intrastate calls are ridiculous. I signed a petition some time ago
Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companionate View Post
Actually I have not but you just gave me a brillant idea. Intrastate calls are ridiculous. I signed a petition some time ago
I was just wondering today how many petitions the FCC sitting on right now, piled up in a corner. There are a lot of really smart advocates on this site and I think it we think outside of the box and flip the script on them we can really shake things up.

I also think that if we got something going there may be people there who can help us, both locally and with the FCC. There are whistleblowers (a.k.a really good people) in every organization. Remember several years ago it was a whistleblower who sent a copy of a study to Barbara Boxer on local news media they were trying to supress...I watched her address the Comissioner on YouTube. It was priceless.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Donation Award 

Default I agree

Prisoners must have access to the outside
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,216 Times in 2,991 Posts
Default in NYS

the Center for Constitutional Rights has filed law suits and eventually put enough pressure on the politicians to get our calls knocked down--to about 20% of what we used to pay. They also pressured to get the contract rebid. Look on their web site.

http://ccrjustice.org/search/node/prison+telephones

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 AM

I think we should compile a list of corrections that need to be made by correctional billing, with a boycott schedule and send it on. Then we start boycotting them on certain days of the month. As word spreads thru prisons and thru regular visits and mail, we could make a dent in their profit by boycotting CBS first 1 day per month, then 2, until we are boycotting them several days a week. After a while they would have to make changes to their system, or go broke. It would definately be a pain and may take several months to get anything done, but it might make a change. This place could start a revolution in the prison phone system just by using the network already provided to spread the word that on say the 3rd of everymonth we are boycotting the phone system. Until they make their prices reasonable, their staff knowledgable, their complaint system usable, remove the payment fee, provide more ways to pay (paypal etc etc) and their call in phone system accessible (IE now you can't even get a human person to talk to at all).
That's just my two cents, I am open to it, willing to work for it, But not being a moderator, I'm not sure how effective I could be.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Im with you... Do you know that next month (February) they are going to limit phone calls to 15 minutes. I know that the diagnostic centers are already limited to 15 minutes but seriously 15 minutes. If we only talk once a week is 15 minutes really enough. And it really irks me that I have to pay $5 everytime I add money to my account. Does anyone every think about what the DOC does to us family members on the outside? It cost so much to support our loved ones - We have a prison right here in our own town but they wont move mine here... he's 2 hours away so I can only see him 2x's a month without going broke. Same classification level, i called his caseworker just to be made aware that she's a rip on a power trip and can't tell me anything at all. UGH!!! Thanks for gettin me started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsjourney View Post
I think we should compile a list of corrections that need to be made by correctional billing, with a boycott schedule and send it on. Then we start boycotting them on certain days of the month. As word spreads thru prisons and thru regular visits and mail, we could make a dent in their profit by boycotting CBS first 1 day per month, then 2, until we are boycotting them several days a week. After a while they would have to make changes to their system, or go broke. It would definately be a pain and may take several months to get anything done, but it might make a change. This place could start a revolution in the prison phone system just by using the network already provided to spread the word that on say the 3rd of everymonth we are boycotting the phone system. Until they make their prices reasonable, their staff knowledgable, their complaint system usable, remove the payment fee, provide more ways to pay (paypal etc etc) and their call in phone system accessible (IE now you can't even get a human person to talk to at all).
That's just my two cents, I am open to it, willing to work for it, But not being a moderator, I'm not sure how effective I could be.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM

I noted that you were here in Missouri and I had an interesting time with PCS for the last two days. I talked for six minutes thirteen seconds on the phone leaving funds and plenty of time for my loved one to call back later in the evening but when he did there was zero balance so I clicked five to go ahead and make the payment; we chatted; after the call I called PCS to inquire what had happened. The automated system went insane and for some reason generated a refund of the payment I had jsut made. I paid two ninety five for the service fee on that payment; the unrequested refund cost me four ninety five and I was being forced to make a new payment of twenty five dollars along with another service fee of four ninety five...all in all this was going to cost me the lost money on the six minute call which was about three dollars along with thirteen dollars in service fees adding up to about sixteen dollars. Two days I had to argue with these people I lost all the money but they did waive the four ninety five for my next payment one time only. The interesting part I wanted to talk to the supervisors supervisor; the corporate office people person and was told I couldn't because they didn't speak english. The customer service representative was in India I believe. I absolutely could not believe that an American company did not have the contract for Inmate Calling in the United States considering the state of our current economy. Our own Government doesn't even support American based corporations....two million prisoners in the United States and how many Indonesians are they employing to take American hard earned dollars? Absolutely phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314 Brock View Post
Im with you... Do you know that next month (February) they are going to limit phone calls to 15 minutes. I know that the diagnostic centers are already limited to 15 minutes but seriously 15 minutes. If we only talk once a week is 15 minutes really enough. And it really irks me that I have to pay $5 everytime I add money to my account. Does anyone every think about what the DOC does to us family members on the outside? It cost so much to support our loved ones - We have a prison right here in our own town but they wont move mine here... he's 2 hours away so I can only see him 2x's a month without going broke. Same classification level, i called his caseworker just to be made aware that she's a rip on a power trip and can't tell me anything at all. UGH!!! Thanks for gettin me started...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:09 PM

My son is in a detention center in Ga. We only get 15mins at a time once a week. I put $50.00 a month on his paytel account. Each time it cost me $5.62 to add money. I also tried sending him the numbers for a phone card. It did not work on any phone with in the center. The really sad thing is they also charge a service charge on stamps as well. All of this sounds illegal.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Hello , I know this can be costly so here's some
Advice it may work it did for me. You and get a google number which is free you wanna chose a
Number on your google account that is a local call for him. Then you u have him put the number on his list and set up the google voice account to forward all your calls to you home or cell phone this will make calls go from 7.00 a call to 3.00 a call . Hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to haleemah baity For This Useful Post:
Illinoisgurl70 (04-30-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM

Man, that would be nice if something would and could help
Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Phone Justice is looking for people to tell their stories. The letters and emails will be used in a claim that is currently before the F.C.C.

Visit the site: http://kitescampaigns.org/campaign/p...phone-justice/

or PhoneJustice.org
queenlynch (07-31-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM

I did a public records request in ohio to the ODRC under a different inmates name(cause they knew me to well) and requested for all the profits the ODRC recieved. They sent me two years worth. This was back in 1999. I got out in 2000 and brought them to a press conference and held them up, and all kinds of people wanted copies of it, including the public defenders office. Plus media.

I also do public records request to public defenders office and they sent me months worth of phone call charges to their offices. What we did was request for 6 months worth before and after the new phone contracts to see if any rate hikes.