Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > AUSTRALIA / NZ PRISON FORUMS > Australia/NZ General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Australia/NZ General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Default what is life like for sex offenders in prison

Can anyone please tell me what prison is like for a svo. do other prisoners know what each other are in for? What prison do they go to?.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane1 View Post
Can anyone please tell me what prison is like for a svo. do other prisoners know what each other are in for? What prison do they go to?.
My husband although not in prison for that said they sent all sex offenders to the same prison so no one is any different thatn the others and ther cannot be any fighting over what they are there for.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiggr51 For This Useful Post:
jane1 (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM

There are certain categories of prisoners (such as sex offenders) who are separated from the general prison population. It is called protective custody. They are kept in a separate part of the prison. They have separate visiting times and don't interact with the rest of the prisoners. Also there are particular prisons that house protective custody prisoners. Wolston is one of these. That's about all I know I'm afraid.
The Following User Says Thank You to miska For This Useful Post:
jane1 (09-03-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Wolston is a protection prison, which means that there are only prisoners (like sex offenders, people with mental illnesses etc) who are on protection housed there. Sex Offenders are generally put in the section dedicated to them (which was s7 when I was there), while they do the SOTP program for sex offenders.

The thing is, everyone in there has access to a television, and a lot of people have a subscription to various newspapers, so often times people will recognize others if they've been in the news a lot. And rumours are something that thrive inside. But that said, it's not kosher to ask people what they are in there for.

I was fairly well-known in prison for what I did, but I didn't find too much trouble. I avoided the people who wanted to make an issue of it, and found my own niche to fit in. At the end of the day, everyone in there is wearing brown, so to speak. Everyone's done something to get in there. But that doesn't stop some people thinking they're better than others.
Kiki50 (06-06-2012), pltan33 (10-06-2010)