Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > The Keystone State Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Keystone State Lounge The Pennsylvania forum's lounge... general chit-chat and things unrelated to the Pennsylvania prison system go here!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Wishing Heart

Default Need to speak with child or GF of prisoner for grad school research project

Hello PA-PTO

I know I am not around here often, but I have a favor to ask of one of you - I am in grad school, studying youth counseling. For one of my classes, I am supposed to meet with an adolescent / young adult for 11 weekly conversations.

Because my husband is in prison in NY, I am very interested in families of prisoners strengthening family ties through phone calls and visiting. We don't have children.

Is there anyone around Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area (or I might travel a bit farther) who would like to work with me? The age range I am looking for is 12 - 22 (25 at the oldest). I propose meeting in at a public library in a study room that we will reserve. The sessions will be taped, but the tapes are yours to keep at the end of the project. All notes taken are yours to keep as well. In my paper, I will give my client a pseudonym.

If you are interested, please contact me via private message.

Here's the official information from my school:

Quote:
Dr Frida Rundell
IIRP Graduate School
544 Main Street
Bethlehem
PA 18016

13 September 2009

To whom it may concern

Janean Sylvester is currently studying for a Master in Restorative Practices and Counseling.

The Master’s student is required to provide eleven narrative conversation sessions with an adolescent of their own choice. The student requires permission from an adolescent (known as the client) and the parent before beginning the process. If an agency or school is providing access, then all legal requirements needed by the agency/school must also be complied with.

Narrative conversations require the student to practice questioning skills that open up conversations where the adolescent( client) acknowledge skills, experiences and stories that relate to themselves. The benefits are that adolescents (clients) open up new ways of coping and living their lives with hope and new strength.

There are no foreseeable risks or discomfort to your participation. The adolescent (client) has the right to withdraw and any time without any repercussions to themselves. Participation is voluntary.

Confidentiality will be maintained. Your responses will be anonymous. The results of this study may be used in reports, presentations, or publications but your name will not be known or used.

The Master’s student is asked to meet the adolescent(client) for 11 weekly sessions between September to November. The adolescent (client) has a choice to invite family/friends to his/her last session. This may assist the adolescent(client) in voicing their hopes and visions for themselves for the future. This is seen as a celebration journey the adolescent(client) has undertaken over the 11 sessions of narrative conversations.

If you have any questions concerning the research study, please contact the research team at 267-246-0561. If you have any questions about your rights as a subject/participant in this research, or if you feel you have been placed at risk, you can contact the chair of the IIRP Institutional Review Board, at the same number.

F.C.Rundell

Yours sincerely
Frida Rundell (PhD)
Professor: IIRP Graduate School.

Last edited by bethbupp; 10-01-2009 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: email addresses and personal phone numbers are not permitted
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

You may want to check out the Family Corrections Network that has a listing of various agencies and organizations that work w/youth with incarcerated parents. Also the executive director is also a therapist who specializes in working with families impacted by incarceration. www.fcn.org
Good luck to you....

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Wishing Heart

Thanks for the suggestion Elaine. I will check them out.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Wishing Heart

A wifey would be good too, but should be in the age range.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Wishing Heart

Hello! I posted this request last year and then dropped the class that is was for. I am taking the class again, so here is my request again.

I am in grad school, studying youth counseling. For one of my classes, I am supposed to meet with an adolescent / young adult for 11 weekly conversations.

Because my husband is in prison in NY, I am very interested in families of prisoners strengthening family ties through phone calls and visiting. We don't have children.

Is there anyone who would like to work with me? The age range I am looking for is 12 - 22 (25 at the oldest). I propose meeting in at a public library in a study room that we will reserve. The sessions will be taped, but the tapes are yours to keep at the end of the project. All notes taken are yours to keep as well. In my paper, I will give my client a pseudonym.

I live in the Harrisburg area, but depending on scheduling, someone in the A-B-E area or even Lancaster county would work out. If interested, please contact me via email or private message.

Last edited by Janean; 08-21-2010 at 08:03 PM..