Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Default SCI Chester ~ and TV's

Question... are inmates allowed to purchase televisions at SCI Chester
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN7537ROSE View Post
i was just released from sci chester and i know how that prison is run. if you have any specific questions about the place, i may be able to help you. just let me know...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Inmates are allowed to purchase TV's at all of the prisons (with the possible exception of Quehanna Boot Camp). Lately, though, there has been a problem with getting them. The commissaries started carrying a new brand, which turned out to have problems. So, all of those TV's, from all over the state, had to be confiscated and replaced, before anyone else could buy any new ones. It seems to be a slow process.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Default sci chester

Quote:
i was just released from sci chester and i know how that prison is run. if you have any specific questions about the place, i may be able to help you. just let me know...

hi i just read you were released from sci chester i have a few questions for you if you dont mind... my fiance is there
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,657 Times in 956 Posts

I was on a tour of Chester today, along with eight other Board Members / staff from the Prison Society. We met at length with the Superintendent, one Deputy Superintendent, a Unit Manager from the TC, and seven inmates. I think we were all impressed.

Chester has two "towers," as they call them. The "A Tower" is for inmates going through the treatment prpgram, from intake until completion. They are currently running 12 TCs, including one for PVs. The "B Tower" is for all other inmates, all of whom have completed the TC. The institution has a genuine recovery feeling to it.

They offer four vocational programs: carpentry, HVAC, fiber-optic and barber.

All treatment is provided by Community Education Centers, Inc., (CEC).
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Has anyone heard anything about them planning to move some inmates from chester to a couple other prisons on the western side of pa. My fiance said they were asking for volunteers a couple months ago and he hopes to be moved soon but has not heard any more since.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM

PTO Moderator 

According to the Superintendent, they are trying to set up a swap between Chester and Laurel Highlands, which is why they were asking about those wanting to head west. The swap is still being discussed by the two institutions.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Yep , my honey was just moved last week to Laurel Highlands. Now he's only 3 hours from home . Maybe now we'll be able to visit more often.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM

PTO Moderator 

Glad for your good news.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
loving him

Default can someone plz help me

my man is in sci chester. do u have to have a approved calling list for them to call u? i give him my number over a week ago and no phone calls yet? i worried i hope sum1 can help
Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

Yes, all inmates in every state prison must have an approved phone list. The prisons usually have a period each month when an inmate can submit updates to his list, and the changes go into effect shortly thereafter.

It's possible that he had to wait until the 1st of the month to submit the change, and is now waiting for it to go through. If it is denied, he'll be told.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Can any one tell me about the visits at sci chester .....does my inmate have to send me visitin papers for me to come up there every week or can i jus go ?? Please write back asap
Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM

PTO Moderator 

Once his Visitor List is approved, his visitors can visit with no other arrangements. All visitors must be on the list and must abide by the institution's visiting rules and schedule.

The DOC policy is ADM-812:
http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards...Privileges.pdf
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi1969 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about them planning to move some inmates from chester to a couple other prisons on the western side of pa. My fiance said they were asking for volunteers a couple months ago and he hopes to be moved soon but has not heard any more since.
I don't know if this will help, but my husband was in Somerset which is almost 5 hours from home. he was waiting to get into the TC program and all of a sudden they transferred him to Chester this week which is only about 2 hours away So maybe they are doing some kind of swap or something. Good Luck to you, I hope yours gets closer to home.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

PTO Moderator 

Congratulations.

It's always nice to see some good news.
pcq827 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
What is the inmate address format for SCI Chester? Is it

Name - ID#
SCI Chester
500 E. Fourth Street
Chester, PA 19013

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM

PTO Moderator 

Yes, that looks correct.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Wink Sci chester

I have finally after soooo many yrs located the man i loved dearly and he is in sci chester....Not sure how he will feel about the letter i sent to him, it was just short and sweet and apologetic to the prior and telling him i was just reaching out to him as a friend..and that i'd like us to not lose contact again, ofcourse letting this be upto him, knowing i want to keep intouch during and after his time there...I also sent along with the short n sweet letter a curren lil pic of self ....And gave him the address where i get my mail and also my number incase he decides to contact me back..BUT what i am wondering is this, i live in the opsite side of the state, i believe something like 5hrs of drive time away....Wondering how long the mail takes and how long it takes from the time the prison recieves it til the inmate recieves it from them?....I just sent the letter out on 3-21-10...I pray to god this turns out to be a decent thing....I am full of anxiety lol like not trying to get excited that he will respnde yet the dred of if he doesn't...those feelins together really suck!!! we once were in love long ago when he was incarserated......both young, i broke up with him, i was forced to do so.............i 16 at the time, he 21...........wow and now we are early and mid 40's...lol....never have i lost all that i felt back then..always have carried a torch for this guy..sme say imm crazy some understand..............And wouldn't it be GREAT IF?!?!?!?!?! Not getting hopes up to much...BUT if i dont hear fom him in say a week or 2, should i let it go or just write another kind caring letter? Any suggestions will be appreciated.................
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Account Closed

Default Does SCI Chester take lifers?

My friend is a lifer and wants to be transferred to SCI Chester to be closer to me. He's in SCI Dallas right now and has been there for 33 years. I told him I don't think they take lifers but he said he heard they do. Anyone know? I thought Chester was mainly for drug offenders.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Lightbulb looking for information

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and was hoping of obtain some information. My fiance was just transferred to sci chester from sci dallas. He is now 3 plus hours away from home. Anyway I was wondering if I could send a money order to be placed on his account? I read somewhere in order to recieve money I must be on his visiting list? Did I misunderstand? I am sure I will be put on his list, however I don't know how long that process will take, and I'd like for him to have somethings in the meantime. Any information you can give me on this matter or any information on this prision would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Default Ccp

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticferret View Post
would someone please explain to me why, when you call chester and identify yourself and the inmate they will tell you nothing whatsoever about the inmate? I have been able to obtain information in the past and have spoken to another office in the prison - not even given that possibility today. This is my brother's son and i am well able to explain anything they need to know.

I explained that i had been attempting to track the progress of a move from one facility to another. Also their website is not working and they do not seem to be aware of that either.

I am pissed - to say the least about now.
i was incarcerated in ccp and the counselors there arent worth crap they dont work when there at work they treat you like ur nothing and they withhold information from u and ur family members and if u need to make personal phone call or call ur lawyer they lie to keep u quiet but i had to write the govenor because i was held over 10 months because the adminstration didnt do there paperwork .
Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Lifers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylin View Post
My friend is a lifer and wants to be transferred to SCI Chester to be closer to me. He's in SCI Dallas right now and has been there for 33 years. I told him I don't think they take lifers but he said he heard they do. Anyone know? I thought Chester was mainly for drug offenders.

YES SCI CHESTER DOES TAKE LIFERS DEPENDING ON THEIR CRIME BUT U CAN START FILING THE PAPERWORK PROCESS TRY TO TALK TO MR, PATRICK MCLOUGHLIN I HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

PTO Moderator 

Chester has lifers. I met a few of them last fall.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Does anyone know how they can get into one of these centers? My friend made parole last September but has had three home plans denied (he's a sex offender). His counselor just mentioned she would recommend him for one of these centers.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Default release for a funeral-please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpalmer71 View Post
SCI-Chester
500 East Fourth Street
Chester, PA 19013
(610)490-5412

SCI-Chester opened in April 1998 as the state's first facility designed to treat inmates with substance abuse problems. It is also the state's first tobacco-free facility.

Key Staff

Martin L. Dragovich, Superintendent

Roxina A. Rumley, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Robert M. Sunshine, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Faith Gilger, Business Manager

Louisa Perez, Superintendent's Assistant

I don't know if you may be able to point me in the right direction.
My brother is an inmate at SCI and currently in RHU. We have had a death in the family and I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get him there. I am aware there is a large fee. ( to cover mileage, guards- all that fun stuff ). I am also aware that he will be in cuffs and shackles. That is all fine. He just needs to be there. The deceased is our cousin. However he was more like a brother. He lived with us his whole childhood and he is was our "brother". My brother John (the inmate) can not miss this funeral. We have had 3 other family deaths in the last 6 months, all which he missed, but none of them will be as hard on him as this one. I realize he is in prison, but he also needs closure. I went to visit him today and had to tell him. Because he is in RHU, I had to tell him through glass and a phone. I couldn't even give him a hug or console him. I need help. I don't know how to go about this. I have been calling the prison since 1opm and it rings and rings without any answer. Im sorry to babble on, I just thought you may be able to point me in the right direction. Thank You.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
Chester has lifers. I met a few of them last fall.
I am new to this site, I am trying to find out how I can get my bother (sci inmate) to attend a funeral. He was very close to the deceased and I know he is going to need closure on this. I am aware there is a fee and if granted he will be cuffed and shackled, thats o.k..Do you know who we need to talk to? The funeral is Thursday and is not far from the prison. we are all just so torn apart, he really needs to be there.
Thank You, and sorry to seek you out.