Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Question drug war

my baby's in prison for meth, 1st time he got probationand the judge sentenced him to 3 years with 6 intense. He was supposed to report to TASK for aassesment to see if he had to do 90 in DART or 2 years in TROSHA ( i think that is spelled right) took them 6 months for his app. to me thats like a DR telling you you have cancer but were not oing to do anything for 6 months. He failed one pee test, and they let him go, watched him, he failed second, same thing. they set him up to totally fail. now he is getting out next month, and even though the judge recommended a drug program TWICE, were told its not priority, if they get into it great, but otherwise to heck with you! i dont do drugs, i dont drink, and ive never had the addiction to where i i had to have something before i could function/couldnt live without. i am having to come to terms, and try and understand this. Hes asking for help, why wont they give it to him?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Drug abuse has been in his family since his Great grandparents days and he was sent out as a young child to go and sell them.Its no excuse for his use of them but for some reason he just cant stop and even though he sees he is destroying eveything around him he still cant stop.He is on the Methadone program but that is just a cheap substitute to get him by till the next fix.

What we can do as families of loved ones like this I just really dont know,i know talking doesnt work also actions dont,ive left him several times of the last few months and i dont think he even noticed i had left the house !
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM

My uncle is in Tulia Transfer Facility on 2 felony drug charges and 7 other charges. He is in because he self-medicated for schizonphrenia and saw people trying to kill his family. He lost his baby boy, but my grandma took him in gladly. He also lost his wife who would often abuse drugs with him.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm really worried about when my Dad gets out... He's very optimistic while he's in prison and says he'll never do this shit again, but he's been an addict for over 26 years. It's so easy to fall into the same patterns by running into the same people and places. I don't know that there is much we can do besides being supportive, because ultimately it is up to them when faced with a situation. I try not to hold myself responsible for other people's decisions.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreeves93 View Post
My uncle is in Tulia Transfer Facility on 2 felony drug charges and 7 other charges. He is in because he self-medicated for schizonphrenia and saw people trying to kill his family. He lost his baby boy, but my grandma took him in gladly. He also lost his wife who would often abuse drugs with him.
I think my Dad also self-medicates, and I've suspected schizophrenia, but it's hard to tell if the delusions are from drug and alcohol use.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Instead of sending them to prison we need to send them to a rehab. Prison isn't going to help any addicted they can still get drugs in prison.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 AM

For anyone interested go to naabt.org This site helps for the addict and the family.
The site is set up just like this one and has helped many people.
Hope this helps
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 AM
John'sBaby

My husband was arrested 4 times since december of 09. He is now on his way to prison. He is a recovering addict from when he was 19 yrs. old. We had a bad three years of him being injured and getting fired from his job and going down a spiral, we finally hit rock bottom and are slowly filling in the hole we have been in. I moved from where we used to live. So, nobody knows where we live now and when he comes home I will be moving again (maybe same apartments but a two bedroom apartment). I never have been very strong at being strict or persistant but this time we are going through I have become very strong at persistancy and letting my husband know that I won't tolerate this anymore and if he feels that he needs to continue when he comes home he can go live with his dad. I also promised my husband that I will be the wife that does her 100 % best at being a wife, mother and provider. He knows that just by me being out here and making sure he has money on his books and is able to talk to me on the phone without hearing there is no money on the phone, and me moving all our stuff into a 1 bedroom apartment from an 1800 square foot house. I know that he sees what I am doing and appreciates what I am doing right now and that when he comes home we will have a place to live and a car to drive for work. The people that used to be around are no longer near me because I moved and they don't know where I am.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM

With addiction we as love ones have to learn that we didn't cause it, we can't control it and we can't cure it. (al-anon phrase)First step is we are powerless over the alcoholics addiction. It is totally up to them. No amount of begging, pleading nor bargaining is going to get them to stop. They have to want soberiety. All we can do is take care of ourselves one day at a time. Ten months ago i finally gave my husband up to my higher power, because nothing I did seemed to work. I was ready to divorce him. Thank god I am a control freak to some extent because i controlled the money and the house so he could not bring me down financially nor destroy what I built for my family. During my weak moments he may have gotten me emotionally for a moment but i knew that the god I served was much stronger than him and anything he could dish out. So i gave it all to my higher power, I began to focus on my life, doing things to make me happy I no longer fused with him, i no longer waited up for him to come in at night when he finally would stagger in he found a sleeping wife, if he called to ask me to come get him, all i would say was you walked out of this house you walk back in. I was blamed for it all still i didn't argue with him because deep down he knew who to blame. He began to notice a difference in me he still fought hard to place blame but knew he was facing a losing battle.I have to say my husband loved me and our son enough to never introduce that world to us, never brought it home to us we just got the after affect of it all which was truly enough so i do respect him for that. I will not say that jail is the best place for them but some times it does take some of them going to prison to finally realize what they were destroying. I know here in CT they have random drug testing so they get another charge if they come up dirty while incarcerated. I have learn that it takes at least 6 months to get the chemicals out of their system and 1 year to actually begin to think straight again. So I pray that with this time we all learn how not to be enablers and get rid of our codependencies during their time of incarceration. Best wishes to you all.