Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Mail Man, Beware!

Question Parole for Confirmed Gang Members in Ad/Seg?

A pen pal of mine is in the TDCJ (currently at John Middleton) and the last time he was in prison (sadly, he was only out about 1.5 years after doing 9 years) he was confirmed as a gang member, and so this time he automatically went back to ad/seg (but it trying to enroll in GRAD, & has a 18-24 month wait before he hears anything about it). He was asking me if i could find out what the 'parole rate for confirmed gang members in ad/seg' looks like & i thought someone here might be able to help before i spend the next week on Google
He's in for 'organized crime' (someone named names in a drug bust & his was one of them) if that matters at all.

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it all
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Letter writing fool!

Well, it depends. I mean, no one can accurately predict what the parole board will say from one person to the next but I have found/heard that GRAD graduates have an extremely high approval rate. People who are recently confirmed have a much much lower approval rating and the ones who have been confirmed but are in the process of the GRAD investigation period and/or in the program fall about halfway. If they are in the program, parole approval is usually contingent on completing the program before release. The best thing that your friend can do is to sever all ties with his gang friends, even those that are just buddies and work hard at getting into the GRAD program (although the waiting list is very long). He can still get parole so its not hopeless but being active and not attempting to separate himself is not going to look good.

For real this time, no take backs.

The Following User Says Thank You to psikocat For This Useful Post:
PoyzenGirl (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Mail Man, Beware!

thank you.. i know it's different from person to person but he was hearing things from guys in there and he said that it sounded fishy because some people talk just to sound like they know something you don't & such. i really appreciate your input & i will be telling him this asap!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 PM

I have read somewhere that once they signup for the program they wont get paroled til they finish it. that takes a few years i believe? im not certain though
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 AM

My husband completed his GRAD application stuff over a year ago and he's been waitlisted since last year. The program itself, if I'm not mistaken, lasts nine months. However, it's the "getting in" that takes so doggone long!
When I call into Classification on my husband's unit, they are always quick to remind me that he's in High Security for his gang affiliation. They leave out that he has not been involved or active for YEARS...going on six this year. He's in there for a nonviolent offense and the unit parole officer has given him some glimmer of hope that he MAY be OK'd this year. I'm optimistic but he says that cos i don't know any better. LOL. It may be worth the time to call and talk to someone in parole on the unit? Maybe? They seemed a lot more helpful than the average staff member I'd get when calling about my husband. I hope this helps!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Ok...maybe this will help...i just got off the phone with an IPO at my husband's unit and she gave me some pretty good information. When considering an inmate from the AdSeg population for parole, the board examines EVERYTHING, but ESPECIALLY disciplinary reports. If the offender can stay out of trouble for a pretty decent amount of time (from 6 months to a year usually), this will work in his favor. Other than that, I would suggest the establishment of some kind of support system (friends and family on the outside who will vouch for and support him) as I was told all these factors come under consideration for all potential parolees but especially the AdSeg guys.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Starry Eyed

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,848 Posts

My guy graduated from GRAD this past October and they had a PO come in and talk to them about parole. I can't tell you what the rates are for inmates in seg, but the PO told the guys that they now have a 70% better chance of a yes after graduating than they did in seg.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Texas and Ohio
Donation Award 

Well, my guy was told as long as he is in Ad Seg no go for getting out. Since he didn't have enough time for GRAD - well for the debriefing stuff (2 years) and then waiting for the program he is just doing flat time.