Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Question What's a detainer?Does it mean more time?

The DOC website says my husband has a detainer in Hamilton Co.Tn.What does that mean? Is it possible that he has charges there that have been resolved and just not cancelled? If they are not serious will they extradite him or what?Will he serve more time here because of it?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,485 Times in 3,666 Posts

I am posting this directly from the DOC website:

1. What is a detainer?

A. A detainer is a warrant placed against an inmate for pending charges from another jurisdiction.These pending charge(s) are usually from Florida counties and/or out-of-state law enforcement agencies.

B. A detainer warrant may also be placed against an inmate who has had concurrent or consecutive sentences imposed in other jurisdictions.

C. A third type of detainer one in which a jurisdiction wants to be notified of an inmate's pending release.

2. Charges were dropped, why is the detainer still there?

A. The charging agency has not officially notified the department of the removal of the detainer, or the cancellation is being processed.

B. Please allow us two work weeks to receive and process the cancellation and post it to our computer database.

If you need more information on Detainers, then e-mail us at: dc.release@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

You can call the county that has the detainer to find out what the hold is for to see if it can be resolved prior to release.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

Last edited by ben's girl; 01-10-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM

My husband just went to Hamilton Annex to and he has a detainer to because he has jail time to do but it will be done before he is released as his sentences are run concurrent.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Did he have to go to court to get them to run his sentences concurrent? I was wondering if there is anyone I can call to try to get that in motion. His charge is from 2001 in hamilton co., so I have no idea what they will do. I tried to call the fugitive division and of course she said she couldn't tell me anything. I don't get that? He's locked up, I'm his wife?? I don't know how they expect anyone to take care of stuff.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Donation Award 

Get him the address to the clerk of court up there and ask him to write. Also, go to clerk of court site in that county and state and look up the case online. Maybe it will tell you something. That info in public info. Some of the clerks have a problem remembering that it is public. Some states are good about online info. It is best if you can get an inkling of what it is about and then he has to write the clerk and/or Judge. I helped by husband get the address to a couple of things that he needed to take care of. After he wrote, then I could call and check. You may also just need to talk to another clerk.
The Following User Says Thank You to ldinges For This Useful Post:
indycook (01-16-2009)
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM

The judge ran it concurrent when he went to court. He would have refused the deal if it has been run consecutive....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Mrs E missing her Mr E

We are currently going through something like this but haven't heard anything as of yet as to whether it's going to run concurrent or what.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Alicia

ok now the detainer type says FH what's that mean?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 PM

You might find this Legal Bulletin on detainers helpful. Even shows procedures for getting rid of them. This was produced by the Lewisburg Prison Project in the year 2000. I cannot speak to its accuracy or applicability, but it is coming from an educational website.

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~mligare/...letins/9.2.pdf

Last edited by Fencie; 11-21-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM

hmm... just a note.. when my husband went away n his information was posted on the DOC site i immediately seen that he had a detainer, which i thought was odd because before his accident he had never been arrested or been in any trouble with the law, so i knew for a fact he had no warrents n such. i went directly to the count clerk of court n began questioning them- the first woman i spoke to looked at me as if i had 3 heads, then i spoke with another who knew what i was asking n she was able to tell me his detainer was simply because hes got probation when he comes home. then his classifications officer verified this, so i think sometimes DOC needs to be a bit more specific, unless theres some bit i missed?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM

The P&P detainer is almost always just a heads-up for DOC folks at release that the inmate is going into a supervision program. Usually nothing to worry about. The one I'm dealing with is an ICE detainer and I have to find out if he's going to be met at the gates and deported!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

What's an ICE detainer?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,485 Times in 3,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
What's an ICE detainer?
ICE aka Immigration and Customs Enforcement

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
wifeofMichael (11-24-2009)
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks! I'm trying to learn all the abbreviations. The P&P on my hubby was easy enough. But FH and ICE, no clue when others brought it up. I still don't know what FH is.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM

FH has me stumped, too. C'mon -- there must be classification officers reading these posts. Give it up! (If I had to guess, I'd suggest maybe the F stands for Federal, and H might be Hold, although the holdee might think the F stands for ... um ... er ... "Firetruck" ... as in, "Oh, great, I've got a firetrucking hold.")
Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM

ROFLMAO! A firetruck hold...oh dear!

But seriously, inquiring minds want to know...

Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 PM

okay...what in the world does NTFY/P&P mean where it shows theres a detainer on my hubbys DOC page? i know his detainer means hes got probation when he comes home, but what on earth does NTFY/P&P mean?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM

They are to notify probation when he is released from prison. He must report in to his probation officer within 72 hours of release I believe. Depending on the day of the week/time of day my hubby is released we will report in either the same day or the next. I figure get it over with!

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
michael'swife24 (11-26-2009)
Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Love Conquers All

I have a question about the Detainer info. Since he does have probation after and has the detainer, does that mean why he's ineligible for Work Release? Also is there a way to get the probation dropped or possibly get the detainer authorties (I guess from whatever co. he has probabtion) to write a letter and allow him to go to work release? I believe that is what I read on the DOC FAQ's about the detainers and work release. If anyone has any info. on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,275 Times in 969 Posts

It's my understanding that a probation detainer won't keep an inmate out of work release IF he completed substance abuse. My husband has one and was told that he was eligible for work release. It's detainers for actual detention by other authorities that exclude from work release.

Getting probation dropped from his sentence would require placing a sentence modification motion in front of the original sentencing court.

There are a variety of other reasons that an inmate can be excluded from work release, including:

- certain charges
- prior escape charge
- restraining order

Also, was he told that he was completely ineligible EVER, or just not right now? He could be ineligible at the moment due to things that can change, like his time to release date and his custody level.

Also, I seem to remember that your husband is in on a DUI charge? My husband has been told that he is ineligible for work release until he completes a substance abuse program at DOC because of being in on a DUI charge. That could likely be the problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM

I don't care about probation or work release, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see our detainer go away. I've called the county and they say it's "reopen disposed". She said that meant it's dropped. The sheriff said they have a pick up warrant and will come get him. The PD said he'll get him back into court asap, he said he seen the judge run the sentences concurrent. We've got less then a year, I would love to see this get resolved. I've looked up recent releases tho and MOST of the ones that have detainers get canceled right before or on EOS date.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,275 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
It's my understanding that a probation detainer won't keep an inmate out of work release IF he completed substance abuse. My husband has one and was told that he was eligible for work release. It's detainers for actual detention by other authorities that exclude from work release.
Sheesh, that's what happens when I get interrupted by the 8yo while writing! What that is supposed to say is that a probation detainer won't keep an inmate out of work release because my husband has one and he was told that he can go IF he completed substance abuse first (required by his charges). ARGH.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM

My son had a detainer in another county, he went to court on it and it is running concurrant with this sentence. He had to push a little bit to get it done.
The Following User Says Thank You to lin787 For This Useful Post:
Jenrietta (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin263 View Post
My son had a detainer in another county, he went to court on it and it is running concurrant with this sentence. He had to push a little bit to get it done.
How did he push to get it done? I've called the PD and he won't return my calls and my friend has wrote to him using legal mail. I talked to classification and she said we're problay waiting for a slot on the court calendar. If there is ANYTHING I can do to speed this up I will.

Totally over this mess!!!!