Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Arizona should be posted here.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Scared-can't pay restitution-what will happen?

I took a plea agreement in 2002 that included repayment of restitution (to insurance companies) that ended up totaling almost $60,000. I have only been able to pay $50 most months, sometimes $100. My probation is up next year and I don't know what will happen when it expires.

I have done everything I am supposed to do. I kicked drugs and mental illness, which the judge knows about because I violated probation to leave the state to get help and when I turned myself back in I served the regular 60 days county and the judge ordered my interstate compact to Georgia when I reside now. I am married and have a child, and another on the way. It has been hard to find work with a felony record.

I need to know if when it is time will the judge extend my probation even though there is no way I could pay the remainder of what I owe in a few years, or will I be released off of probation and have my restitution converted into a civil judgement? Or will the Judge be able to send me to prison? Please help. I am scared to death. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 20,527 Times in 5,203 Posts

Hi there and welcome to PTO,
I'm glad that you found us as this is a wonderful place for support and friendship.
First of all, congratulations on making so many positive changes in your life - you have done some really hard work on yourself and your situation.
I'm afraid that I don't have any answers for you about your situation but I'm sure someone will come and post that can help.
I just wanted to answer your post and let you know that you are welcome here.

Take care,
Rachel

The PTO Pumpkin Hunt

Help us find the Great Pumpkin who has hidden himself somewhere on PTO

On the 30th October at 10pm (Central US time) we will be posting the first clue in our PTO Pumpkin Hunt

See this thread for more details: The Great Pumpkin Mystery
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Donation Award 

LYR42,
Your court paperwork should have how the monies are to be re-paid. Here is a link the the Arizona Revised Statutes for Criminal Law to help you understand your paperwork. They should have ARS numbers on your paperwork that outlines how you pay the money back. If you have any questions, please ask and we can try to help you understand it..... Here is the link: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=13 Good Luck!!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM

I am too in AZ with restitution. BREATHE! They can not send you to prison. The worse case is this..3 year exention on probation. The other scenario is a criminal restitution order aka judgement. You have to keep paying your monthly amount...or they will try to collect. PM if you want...I am in the same boat. Also, how did you get interstate compact..I have been thinking about that, too.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM
missing her man...

Hey can you pay before he gets out...so that it isn't that much when he comes home? We are trying to figure this all out right now...I was just wondering...

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Donation Award 

JDS,
I'm pretty sure you can. When would a government agency not take your money - ha, ha!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM

In all likelihood, the worst thing that will happed is the court will extend your probation and order than any unpaid amounts become a civil judgment once you are off probation.