Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

View Poll Results: How much longer until fed inmates start serving 65% of their sentence?
Within two years 3 13.64%
Within five years 5 22.73%
Within ten years 7 31.82%
Not in my lifetime 7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default How long before fed inmates serve 65% of their sentence?

I've been hearing more rumors about federal inmates serving 65% of their sentences vs the 85% they currently serve. So, how long do you think it will take before this becomes true AND do you think it will include time already served or it will be 'from this point on'?

Me, I think with the current economic downturn, health care proposals and the two wars we're fighting the feds are going to have to make budget cuts somewhere and I have a feeling things will change within the nest 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Donation Award 

we can only hope and pray fed cure is working on htis and htey have a bill in congress so far it is working its way thru the system but we can support them go to fedcure.org and see how

Last edited by mimmis1; 09-14-2009 at 11:50 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimmis1 For This Useful Post:
mywife19 (09-16-2009), NoOne1994 (09-14-2009)
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Loving HIM for life ...

Dame I agree with you, because the justice system is are not working out as is and has not for a while so something has got to give. I know rumors have been circulating around for years, but I feel that now things are a bit different there is just too much being brought up about all the unfair sentencings practices and the current state of the prison and jail systema actually the justice system in whole has too many flaws that can no longer be over looked. And it is no longer just complaints by normal everyday loved ones of inmates but people who are in powerful positions that can help bring this much needed change about. But I do feel that it will happen much sooner than two years, but either way I am not going to give up I will continue to pray about this. As my grandmother would say God is always on time (with that statement I don't mean to offend, but God is my higher power of choice). Many Blessings all
mywife19 (09-16-2009), NoOne1994 (09-14-2009), sassylatina (09-15-2009)
Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,079 Posts

The only thing going on in Congress is the Health care bill. No 65% bill has been passed and it doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind, except for fedcure and PTO and a few other groups. At this time, the rumor is false.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,866 Times in 4,354 Posts

Since the feds can print their own money, increase the deficit, and keep building prisons, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I think the only time politicians vote for good time increases are when the prisons become extremely overcrowded and they don't have the money to keep the populations at that high level. Unfortunately, the BOP just keeps building. They are too entrenched in the "prison industrial complex" and I wouldn't doubt if there is a lot of monetary gain and lobbying going on related to the purchases of new technologies, prison construction, commissary companies, etc., that we are not even aware of.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Can you tell me what the bill number is?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM

I heard that it cost the Government $28,000. a year to house a prisoner. Lets see with over 208,000 people incarcerated in Federal Prisons that adds up to a lot of money. I think that I would look really hard at the 65% if I was them. Even if he couldn't get a job if my son came home I would be responsible for feeding, clothing and medical care and not the Government
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Holy Cow. So if I did my math right, your saying it's over 5 billion dollars a year spent to house Incarcerated Federal Prisoners? Damn, just think of the good they could do with that money. And I bet a lot of those in Federal Prison are 1st time, non-violent offenders like myself. I wonder what the cost to put someone on House Arrest is? Can u only imagine the savings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman228 View Post
I heard that it cost the Government $28,000. a year to house a prisoner. Lets see with over 208,000 people incarcerated in Federal Prisons that adds up to a lot of money. I think that I would look really hard at the 65% if I was them. Even if he couldn't get a job if my son came home I would be responsible for feeding, clothing and medical care and not the Government
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM

From what my husband was telling me that bill might be signed as soon as November this year but I hate to get my hopes up too high and even if it is true is it going to be for the newly sentenced or also for the ones in there already serving time? All I can say is we all just pray
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,079 Posts

At the moment, there is no reason to expect any change in sentencing law on good time credit.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 PM

My son had electronic monitoring and I keep thinking it cost us around $250 every 2 weeks. So you would be looking at $6000 a year. I know bill HR 1475 has been referred to the house Judiciary, Subcommitte on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland security since March of this year. I don't think that the majority of the people we are talking about would be a threat to Terrorism or Homeland security but then what do I know? You would think from the way that people talk that there are only violent offenders in prison.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

I selected within 5 years, perhaps it is just hope on my part but with the help of PTO members, friends, families etc... contacting their reps and senators I have hope this will soon pass.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM

I haven't ever sat down and figured it out but it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it is a lot of money and yes if I was the government I know that there would be better things to do with the money.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman228 View Post
From what I've been told, the government gives the federal prisons $45K per inmate per year, more if they participate in programs and courses (i.e., if they get the GED and take 2 additional courses, the cost goes up to almost 100K). I'm not too sure where the government's getting the money but I'm guessing the money comes from the taxpayers. A lot of people think that it's expensive to house an inmate, but a lot of what it takes to care for them is actually doesn't cost anything. Food, clothes, furniture, and medical supplies are donated by organizations and companies because they get major tax reliefs that way. In my opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, they aren't doing much about trying to pass the Good Time Bill because (1) it means the prisons won't get the same funding and governmental relations (2) the big companies and organizations won't qualify for the tax reliefs (3) the services won't be availabe, thus the elimination of the potential funding.

I've sent numerous emails, letters, and made calls to the representatives and a lot of governmental officials (even the President) regarding H.R. 1475. I'm hoping it'll pass because it would make a big difference in the revamping of the judicial system. I think the money would be more well-spent on working towards rehabilitating offendors outside of prisons and providing services that would help them get back into the groove of society (i.e., find decent work, establish a home, learn how to manage a life outside of the prison). That would work better than keeping them inside a cell for years then throwing them into the street and expecting them to make a 180. Just my opinion...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

While I agree with the latter half of your post, the numbers you give in the first half are a little hard to believe. I would be interested in the source of these numbers if you have a link to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywife19 View Post
From what I've been told, the government gives the federal prisons $45K per inmate per year, more if they participate in programs and courses (i.e., if they get the GED and take 2 additional courses, the cost goes up to almost 100K). I'm not too sure where the government's getting the money but I'm guessing the money comes from the taxpayers. A lot of people think that it's expensive to house an inmate, but a lot of what it takes to care for them is actually doesn't cost anything. Food, clothes, furniture, and medical supplies are donated by organizations and companies because they get major tax reliefs that way. In my opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, they aren't doing much about trying to pass the Good Time Bill because (1) it means the prisons won't get the same funding and governmental relations (2) the big companies and organizations won't qualify for the tax reliefs (3) the services won't be availabe, thus the elimination of the potential funding.

I've sent numerous emails, letters, and made calls to the representatives and a lot of governmental officials (even the President) regarding H.R. 1475. I'm hoping it'll pass because it would make a big difference in the revamping of the judicial system. I think the money would be more well-spent on working towards rehabilitating offendors outside of prisons and providing services that would help them get back into the groove of society (i.e., find decent work, establish a home, learn how to manage a life outside of the prison). That would work better than keeping them inside a cell for years then throwing them into the street and expecting them to make a 180. Just my opinion...
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged View Post
While I agree with the latter half of your post, the numbers you give in the first half are a little hard to believe. I would be interested in the source of these numbers if you have a link to them.
I didn't believe them either because it looked like too high a number. The most I would think is about $150 a day plus any other expenses. An acquaintance of mine worked as a counselor in one of the prisons in Cali and he told me that. I just found this site but it's like wiki answer so I don't know how reliable the info is...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0072230AAokWcK

To generally house an inmate is about the $100-150 per day but once you add medical expenses, salaries for those working inside, property maintenance (i.e., water, heat, air, electricity and so on) the number goes way up and since it's a federal place the government picks up the tab. I think the high number came from the tallying of all the expenses incurred at the place and then dividing per inmate...that's what I thought because 50K is a whole lot for someone eating the same food and wearing the same outfit day in and day out.