Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Earning a College Degree While Incarcerated

I have just joined and this is my first entry. I am trying to make a list of institutions that can grant Associate or Bachelor degrees to inmates in California. The big problem is that inmates do not have access to the internet, and so can not participate in the usual online correspondence programs. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Do you know of any community or other colleges that work within particular prisons to provide classes? I would appreciate any info you can provide so I can pass it along.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

My son was in a program through Coastline Community College. Due to State budget cuts, the Proctor position was eliminated and the program discontinued. It is my understanding the only education programs the State pays for is GED, and no Higher Education.
The College requires a Proctor, therefore it leaves us SOL. I am intereseted to know if someone has found a wawy around the requirement for a Proctor and if so, what College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Arn View Post
I have just joined and this is my first entry. I am trying to make a list of institutions that can grant Associate or Bachelor degrees to inmates in California. The big problem is that inmates do not have access to the internet, and so can not participate in the usual online correspondence programs. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Do you know of any community or other colleges that work within particular prisons to provide classes? I would appreciate any info you can provide so I can pass it along.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,697 Posts

Welcome to PTO! There's an entire forum devoted to Education Inside. Here's the link:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

I know that Coastline Community College has a program for prisoners and so does Calvary Chapel Bible College (if they want a Christian degree). San Quentin has an arrangement with a University (don't remember which one), though. You can also use the "search" feature on pto (top right of the toolbar) and search college + california.

CDCr does NOT pay for any higher education, but there are reduced fees for inmates.

Theycall: Sorry to hear about Coastline being discontinued at your sons prison. I wonder if it's been eliminated from all the prisons?

Last edited by kima; 09-12-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Lady Mörder

Lassen Community College offers classes to inmates at CCC through correspondence. My husband obtained his AA in June 2006.

Last edited by MissFaust; 09-12-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmecc View Post
My son was in a program through Coastline Community College. Due to State budget cuts, the Proctor position was eliminated and the program discontinued. It is my understanding the only education programs the State pays for is GED, and no Higher Education.
The College requires a Proctor, therefore it leaves us SOL. I am intereseted to know if someone has found a wawy around the requirement for a Proctor and if so, what College.

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. Your input has been very helpful.

I am trying to assemble a list of all kinds of degree programs to distribute to inmates and families who come to Friends Outside for advice. Many Californi inmates want additional education and are willing to pay for an Associate, Bachelor, or even an advanced degree. It is hard when there is no inmate access to internet-connected computers and many educational institutions are eliminating outside programs in an attempt to trim costs. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a community college or other college adjacent to each facility so that everyone had access to face-to-face instruction! My goal is to identify programs available to inmates at each of our 33 state institutions.

Big-Arn
The Following User Says Thank You to Big-Arn For This Useful Post:
California_Mom (09-12-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM

BigArn, if you're interested in including Bible colleges, I can post the info here for you. Some are credentialed, some not, but I know of a few more besides Calvary Chapel.

The Following User Says Thank You to kima For This Useful Post:
California_Mom (09-12-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. Your input has been very helpful.

I am trying to assemble a list of all kinds of degree programs to distribute to inmates and families who come to Friends Outside for advice. Many Californi inmates want additional education and are willing to pay for an Associate, Bachelor, or even an advanced degree. It is hard when there is no inmate access to internet-connected computers and many educational institutions are eliminating outside programs in an attempt to trim costs. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a community college or other college adjacent to each facility so that everyone had access to face-to-face instruction! My goal is to identify programs available to inmates at each of our 33 state institutions.

Big-Arn
Palo Verde Community College is also available, but like you mentioned there is a shortage on Proctors , this is where we all become educated of what our loved ones rights are, you are going to start to find out that the budget cuts are going to take away many opportunities this is where the DOM becomes our friend ARTICLE 35 policy 53090.1
Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kima View Post
BigArn, if you're interested in including Bible colleges, I can post the info here for you. Some are credentialed, some not, but I know of a few more besides Calvary Chapel.
Kima, I would be interested in learning what Bible Colleges are available for inmates too.
Always Pray and Don't Lose Heart ~ Luke 18:1
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM

This link has a lot of education info for inmates (including books written about education info for prisoners). You can access everything in the index by just scrolling down, rather than clicking on any certain topic. It has secular and faith based courses:
http://www.bgcprisonministries.com/i...ted%20students

I'll get a list together of the other bible colleges I know of that aren't in this link, and post it tomorrow.

Last edited by kima; 09-12-2009 at 10:35 PM..
California_Mom (09-14-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 PM

I would appreciate having your list. I know that inmates have a wide variety of interests and I am trying to make my list as inclusive as is practical.

Big-Arn
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 AM

This older PTO link has A LOT of educational info:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54695

Ohio University
has a well known college program for prisoners, but the exams must be proctored:
http://www.ohiou.edu/adultlearning/incarc.htm

Not sure if this is accredited or even still open, but I found this info in another (older) PTO forum:
The College HBI- Hope Bible Institute is absolutely free except for minimal postage for the inmate-student although they need a GED or High School Dipoma to qualify.
E-Mail swampy@netlink.net or write to NewLife-Hope Prison Ministry 119 Downing Drive 102-Y Chardon, Oh
44024-1046 Attn: Deac. Thomas Teare with a COPY of your GED or HSD. This College is prestigious and accredited as they are already in Maryland, Louisiana, California, Kansas, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, and Alaska.

This link has a tremendous amount of information! It lists probably just about every faith based college program that works with prisoners (just click on the Bible Colleges and Seminaries listing):
http://www.btfministries.org/Studies.cfm#Colleges

California_Mom (09-14-2009)
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,477 Times in 3,266 Posts

Luckly this isn't happening at all prisons. I just asked my husband about this this past weekend and he said they still have proctors for the college courses at his prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmecc View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to light at end For This Useful Post:
kima (09-14-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM

And what prison is this that still has proctors?

Big-Arn
Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,477 Times in 3,266 Posts

CIM in Chino

Quote:
And what prison is this that still has proctors?

Big-Arn

Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
“Just know that I am here

Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,267 Posts

My son received his GED when he was in county. He is now taking college classes from Fresno Pacific University, he just received a certificate of Completion for Psychology Courses. Currently he is taking more psychology and health classes. He watches the classes on his tv and takes the tests and sends them to his teacher. He is in a program called YOP (I think that's the name). The guidelines to get in our tough and if you get in any trouble your out

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead ~
Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Hi,
There is actually some great information in I believe the "Resources" section, then "education". A very kind person took the time to research and locate institutions that have correspondence and distance learning courses, then posted that info here on PTO. If you don't find it, please let me know. Hopefully, I pointed you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Carol