Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Default CCPOA throwing money at Republicans

While looking for a connection between the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation and CCPOA, not confirmed yet, it turns out CCOPA is putting almost all of its money into the Republican Party. Most $$ goes to The Battin Group (formerly Voter Strategies, a Republican propaganda machine).

It seems CCPOA is getting clever at hiding what it supports because the names are not obvious. Anyone want to help try to find a connection, if there is one, between the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation and CCPOA?

You can follow the money here:

http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/Misc/fi...a+Correctional

Last edited by madmusic; 08-23-2009 at 01:48 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madmusic For This Useful Post:
joemookasmom (08-23-2009), MattsmominNY (09-13-2009), noboundries (08-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,455 Posts

What exactly and i suppose to do when i click the link? I'm always up for learning something new about this system.
....maybe it's too late and my brains not working
Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 PM

noboundries, maybe an example will help. I saw The Battin Group listed and wondered what it was. Why would CCPOA give them so much money? A Google found the connection with Voter Stratigies, which is pure Republcian, and it is the Republicans that are fighting reform. It follows that The Battin Group is influencing the Republicans for CCPOA. It's not clear how. Maybe the Battin Group is crafting talking points and organizing everyone. Who knows?

Also, maybe the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation is taking it up where Crime Victims United left off because it is too commonly known now that Crime Victims United is sponsered by CCPOA. If so, how does that work and does CCPOA give any financial support to the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation? Maybe the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation and The Battin Group are working together. Who knows? Maybe not. I've tried to find the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation donations to see who is supporting them but no such luck yet.

The research is a lot of Google guessing but sometimes a search pays off. There are others CCPOA gives money to that might make the connection. So a search for those names may make the connection. At bottom, the process is simply an attempt to get to know who CCPOA gives money to and then connect the dots.

EDIT: There is a lot of trial and error in this process so errors are OK. The goal is to find confirmed connections though.

Last edited by madmusic; 08-24-2009 at 04:09 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmusic For This Useful Post:
MattsmominNY (09-13-2009), noboundries (08-28-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:41 PM

The Battin Group is a lobbying firm headed by former Rep. Senator Jim Battin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLS For This Useful Post:
madmusic (08-28-2009), MattsmominNY (09-13-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks, JLS. That turns up this.

In July of this year, Bill Lockyer, California's current attorney general, tried to put through a bill giving him the power to police the prison system. Lockyer told legislators in Sacramento that local DAs had admitted to him privately they didn't dare go up against the CCPOA. Lockyer found out soon enough what they were talking about. His bill sailed through the state Senate, then, the guards' union sank it in the Assembly. He quoted one assemblyman, Jim Battin (who later denied it) as saying, "I'm sorry, but I'm whoring for the CCPOA."
MattsmominNY (09-13-2009), noboundries (08-28-2009), South Bay (08-24-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Here's another.

"Senate Republicans, meanwhile, were eager to pass the pay raise. The union has many allies inside the Senate GOP caucus, perhaps none as strong as Sens. Jim Battin, R-La Quinta, and George Runner, R-Lancaster."
MattsmominNY (09-13-2009), noboundries (08-28-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Here's one CCPOA effort I didn't know about.

The 2006 victory was the result of efforts by PROTECT, Crime Victims United of California and the California Correctional Peace Officers Association (CCPOA). The coalition worked with child safety champion Sen. Jim Battin, a well-known budget hawk who originally introduced legislation asking for $20 million for the ICACs.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Jim Brattin and the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation worked together on the Amici Curiae briefs in support of Three Strikes. The U.S. Supreme Court eventually found a 3rd strike for a petty theft wobbler was not cruel and unusual punishment.

They brag about it

www.cjlf.org/briefs/EwingS.htm

www.cjlf.org/briefs/AndradeS.htm
Violet007 (08-30-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Dang Mad Music YOUR GOOD! I'm still a baby in all of this...BUT I'M LEARNING! thanks!
madmusic (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,699 Posts

Madmusic: Can you dig a little deeper into ALEC? I'm curious to know what you may find out. Or if you're even able to access the reports they've generated at tax payer expense...

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Kima, you must mean the American Legislative Exchange Council.

AS far as I tell, they are a private organization that requires membership fees. For example, private prison corporations can sit on boards and vote on criminal law drafts, and then the state lawmaker(s) take the draft home to his/her state and try to get it passed, maybe claiming he/she drafted it him/herself. I don't know that any taxpayer money is used to do this but the links from wikipedia above might confirm that, or you might try sending an email to the rightwingwatch.com linked there. One possibility is they may use taxpayer money to attend ALEC meetings. I know that California lawmakers are members but haven't found a complete list. ALEC likes to stay under the radar but I'll look some for confirmation. There might also be something under the Administrative Procedure Act they are doing wrong.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,699 Posts

Yep. I've only known of them for a few years, but when I discovered the role they play in setting public policy, I felt like Alice falling into the rabbit hole. Unless you have a paid membership (which starts in the thousands of dollars), there's no access to the recommendations they present to the "elite" legislators that sit on the council.

Here's a list of the latest Public Safety reports:
http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ContentID=9146

More info on the Public Safety Task Force:
Public Safety and Elections

The Public Safety and Elections (formerly known as Criminal Justice and Homeland Security) Task Force is dedicated to developing model policies that reduce crime and violence in our cities and neighborhoods; while also focusing on developing policies to ensure integrity and efficiency in our elections, and within our systems of government.

The Task Force approves model bills that hold criminals accountable for their actions and that provide swift and certain punishment for their crimes - without adding more governmental intrusions into law abiding citizens’ lives. It will also address issues including, but not be limited to: public financing of political campaigns, the Electoral College, voter fraud and voter qualifications, campaign finance, and ethics reform laws. In recent years, the Task Force has dealt with issues such as eco-terrorism, identity theft, prison privatization, child firearm safety, asset forfeiture reform, standards for bail enforcement agents, preventing violent youths from committing crimes in school, and will now be expanding to include the above elections and ethics related issues.
http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ontentID=10276

The bio's of the private sector members on this task force are interesting, a CCA employee and a bail bondman. I don't think they want to cut down on the prison populations in this country.

(ALEC members and legislators initiate just about every facet of public policy in this country, but my focus has been on the Public Safety committee). I'm not crazy, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Where do folks think all these idea's like "Three Strikes" and "Jessica's Law" really come from? ..... And just to clarify: I am not against people who work in certain fields sharing their knowledge with our politicians (politicians need to be educated on a wide variety of issues before they vote on passing new legislation). My gripe is not being able to access the reports that are presented to our politicians, without having to pay thousands of dollars!!!

Last edited by kima; 08-30-2009 at 10:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kima For This Useful Post:
noboundries (09-13-2009)
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM

We are on the same page, Kima. My gripe is that hardly anyone knows about them or know which of their representatives are members, or knows of the corporate backing that join to pass self-serving laws, like private prisons. It is a very convert operation that manages to stay out of the news. But a lot of the media is owned by the same corporations.
kima (08-30-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM

By the looks on the end results of this....looks as if they threw money in the Democrats face too.....and it seems like they accepted
Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 PM

You're right on the money, noboundies. And it is $$$$$$$$$$.

My first response was going to be the machine is too big, to powerful. All the stars were aligned for change and big $$$$$$ beat them.

Maybe the only way now is to learn how they are doing it. Follow the money and be prepared for next time. Without some media help it is rather hopeless though. Maybe some with Sacramento connections could start building up some media connections and feed them follow-the-money research.

What other chance is there?