Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Default Strip Search issues-disgusting-Rules?

I just received a letter from my love telling me, On sunday, a very young female officer that strip search a group of men before going out to yard rec. A male officer was suppose to do it and she ordered him to sit in picket while she did it. She even lifted their 2 private parts to see. My love has been in there 30 yrs and knows the rules and regulations. He said it was agianst rules and will talk to someone about it. I was furious and wrote to Senator Whitmire to let him know whats going on in there. She needs to be removed for sure! He says this a BIG violation so I hope she will be a gonner. She is sick! How can another officer let it happen knowing its wrong. Not only the senator knows but the Warden and everyone should know what is going on in there with this female officer and hopefully they will fire her. We got her name!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I love my inmate

Thanked 1,079 Times in 635 Posts

That is one of the reasons why I think women should not be allowed to work in a living area of a men's prison, and vice versa. I'm not saying there aren't other jobs they can do, but not anywhere they live, work, or play. I've heard all kinds of stories about female COs and it's wrong. Is he going to file a grievance? He'll have to do that first, but definitely going up the chain is a good way to go. Let us know what happens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelep68 For This Useful Post:
Disgusted1 (08-11-2009), LittleWing13 (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
loving my life

i agree with michelle
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Donation Award 

Yes, I agree too!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Ok, he just called and said a sgt has paperwork for him to fill out, I guess its a grievance. This is what i wrote to Ombuds, just so they can get more heat on em!

"Dear Sir, There has been an illegal strip search at the McConnell Unit with a Female Officer by the name Velasquez. I called the Warden's Office and was told he was not in. So Im a writing to you in hopes to get this lady terminated for conducting an illegal search. According to TDC rules and regulations. Thank you for your response as well"
signed

Attach is a copy of what was written to Senator Whitmire of this issue in hoping something will be done about this.
Sincerely,
signed

"Dear Honorable Whitmire,
I dont know if there is anything you can do about this, but I believe you must know whats going on. I have written to you many times and have always had many positive answers and you have always had it corrected in some way. I appreciate that very much.
This is a complaint about TDC McConnell Unit in Beeville, Texas. On or about 8-9-2009, a strip search was ordered before going to yard rec. A male officer was suppose to do it, but a very young female officer took upon herself to do it but more of a strip search than usual, she ordered the male officer to get in picket so she could do it. She then made offenders take thier shorts down all the way to knees, and told offenders if they didnt do what was told she would write them up. She went as far as touching & lifting their private parts to see. According to rules and regulations she was in the wrong and something must be done about this. If possible is there a way to check up on this problem. Thank you for your response"
signed
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,023 Posts

Please let us know any response you get from all this.

I agree females and males should *not* be working in the opposite sex's living quarters, showers, or even in the area when strip searches are conducted. Also, they should be conducted in some area that is not public. Let our loved ones keep some little bit of dignity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
Disgusted1 (08-11-2009), LittleWing13 (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Starry Eyed

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,848 Posts

Whoa. I thought the guys were supposed to..lift..themselves, not the guards?? A girl should deff not be touching them. Yikes!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lorraine For This Useful Post:
x4livin (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM

I surely will let everyone know what becomes of this. He will call me tommorrow. The more I think of this the more it burns me up! Yea, let it go back to the old ways where females were only nurses or secretarys in prison! Its just down right wrong.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,373 Posts

I agree too.. not just for this reason but many others that women should not be employed in male living quarters and vice versa. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,745 Posts

Unfortunately, because of the shortage this happens more often these days even though it shouldn't. It's happened to my husband at least once this year. I'm sure the guy wasn't too mad. Probably been a long time since a woman touched his you know what or at least that's what I told my husband when he told me about it! (Gotta find some humor in this mess somehow!)

On a side note, please let this serve as a friendly reminder not to let this thread turn into a "women shouldn't work at male prisons" debate. Let's keep it on the topic. Thanks!

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Dreamer's Wife

Women C.O.'s are not allowed to strip search or be around during showers, this is a violation of your man. He should file a sexual harrassment against her, her supervisor and the warden. There may be a shortage of C.O.'s but that is not an excuse. She is a preditor. Abusing her authority. Good luck with that.
24jf (08-12-2009), piercedkitten83 (08-11-2009), retired-37 (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I love my inmate

Thanked 1,079 Times in 635 Posts

You're right, neither a male or female CO should be touching their privates. He should file sexual harrassment charges against her.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:13 PM

wow, i didnt even ask if she touched my love, i will ask if she did that to him! lolol, but what he was upset about is that they expect him to go by the rules and regs. And when he mention he saw that well it made him mad cause they are not abiding by their own rules yet they want them to abide the rules. Thats what he gets ticked off about. As long as he been there, he still gets upset when these little kids are being hired not knowing what they are doing. Men or women it just amazes him what they hire. No professionals what so ever. Kids almost right out of high school. He even says he feels sorry for some. Im anxious to know if he was touched! smile
Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarierios View Post
Women C.O.'s are not allowed to strip search or be around during showers, this is a violation of your man. He should file a sexual harrassment against her, her supervisor and the warden. There may be a shortage of C.O.'s but that is not an excuse. She is a preditor. Abusing her authority. Good luck with that.
Actually, in Texas, they are allowed to strip men all the way down to their boxers, legally. And they women are around the showers all the time at the unit my husband's at. Now, what they do when they are around left to be discovered but as long as my husband isn't concerning himself with them, I have no problems with it.

As for filing sexual harassment charges? She didn't fondle him. She strip searched him. I learned a long time ago that in TDCJ, you have to pick your battles and this was just not one of the trees we wanted to bark up, for US. It was actually quite humorous to us but what works for us may not work for others.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylove1980 View Post
wow, i didnt even ask if she touched my love, i will ask if she did that to him!
Girl, that would have been my FIRST question!! Lol. My hubby feels the same way about a lot you mentioned but that's just the way of TDCJ at times. I'm sure your hubby knows all about "picking battles" too if he's been in that long.

The Following User Says Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
SMILE*4*ME (08-13-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Dual Diagnosis Advocate

By the way it sounds, she did abuse her authority a bit. OK, so if there definitely isn't a male CO available, that is fine (hopefully a rarity), but she should've asked them to lift or move their "male parts", not her. I am also one that agrees and believes a female CO shouldn't be in the shower area either.
"We're all tough on crime, but we've got to be smart & that isn't necessarily 'Lock em up & throw away the key,' but providing programs & insight to do things differently than before." ~ Rep. Madden ; "It makes more sense to keep nonviolent offenders in community treatment centers - where they could get help, than to imprison them." ~ Sen. Whitmire
The Following User Says Thank You to strawberry6977 For This Useful Post:
mylove1980 (08-12-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
1 Day at a Time

"Dear Honorable Whitmire,
I dont know if there is anything you can do about this, but I believe you must know whats going on. I have written to you many times and have always had many positive answers and you have always had it corrected in some way. I appreciate that very much.
This is a complaint about TDC McConnell Unit in Beeville, Texas. On or about 8-9-2009, a strip search was ordered before going to yard rec. A male officer was suppose to do it, but a very young female officer took upon herself to do it but more of a strip search than usual, she ordered the male officer to get in picket so she could do it. She then made offenders take thier shorts down all the way to knees, and told offenders if they didnt do what was told she would write them up. She went as far as touching & lifting their private parts to see. According to rules and regulations she was in the wrong and something must be done about this. If possible is there a way to check up on this problem. Thank you for your response"
signed

Well, now I'm confused. Above is the quote of the letter to Senator Whitmire, where you say she went as far as 'touching and lifting their private parts' ... and then you say 'wow, i didnt even ask if she touched my love, i will ask if she did that to him!' Which is it? In my mind, this is a pretty serious charge, and you need to be very clear, accurate and truthful, or this could be a disaster for many people.

My next question is, what exactly is TDCJ policy about strip searches ... are CO's of either sex allowed to touch an inmate during a strip search? To what extent, and for what purpose?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
24jf (08-12-2009), piercedkitten83 (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
happy healthy & impatient
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,599 Posts

yeah, I'm also confused by your contradiction of posts on here. But if that's true...wow. I'd be HOT if some female CO did a thing like that to Matthew! I don't care if it wasn't sexual assult. They don't let males touch the females in that way. It should be the same for the other way around!

November 10, 2012: Maximum date reached

It's over. We made it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piercedkitten83 For This Useful Post:
retired-37 (08-11-2009), strawberry6977 (08-12-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,298 Times in 761 Posts

My fiance told me he was taking a shower the other day and scratching his butt (lol) when he looked up, and a female gaurd was standing where she could see him. he said he scattered to a corner where she couldn't see him, but it frustrated me a little bit. I don't like the thought of someone oogling him, anymore than he would like it happening to me!!

I would be FURIOUS if a female gaurd touched his junk. Hell, I don't like it that the male CO's get that close. I think that only same sex CO's should be conducting STRIP searches. I can live w/ strips down to boxers, but that's it.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
1 Day at a Time

Here's the TDCJ Parole Division policy on offender searches. I'm wondering if this is the same policy for COs in Units:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/p...0(7-21-05).pdf

III STRIP SEARCHES

1. Strip searches shall not be authorized or conducted by Parole Division staff.

2. Strip searches for offenders residing in TDCJ contracted facilities are permissible and will be conducted by facility personnel only. Strip searches will be conducted by two (2) staff members of the same gender, upon determining good cause for search, and upon receiving authorization from the facility director. Staff members conducting this type of search will be thorough, yet not offend the dignity of the resident being searched. District Parole Officers assigned to TDCJ contracted facilities may observe only and will not actively participate. Observers will be of the same gender as the offender being searched.

3. Body cavity searches shall not be authorized.

emphasis added

Last edited by WilcoMom; 08-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: emphasis added
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
1and1makes2 (08-13-2009), Onaicult (08-11-2009), piercedkitten83 (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
1 Day at a Time

Okay, I went back and re-read the posts. I think I've got this figured out, and I apologize for the confusion.

You're saying you got a letter from your love, and in it he told you he saw a group of men being strip searched, not that HE was strip searched, and that he saw a female CO touch their private parts ... not that she did this to him.

Now the second statement that you would have to ask him if she touched him makes sense.

I apologize again for my misunderstanding.

I would be surprised if his grievance can proceed on someone else's behalf. I seems to me if none of those in the group inappropriately strip searched complains, then he whould not be allowed to. However, if he's filing the grievance to register his support for them, and to give eye witness testimony to events, then that makes sense to me, and I applaud him for standing up for what's right.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,759 Times in 689 Posts

For all the talk about "picking and choosing your battles" and the defense of TDCJ CO's saying "it's policy" may all be true but I would personally take this all the way to the top and beyond. With male CO's available, why was she doing the search and touching the offenders private parts?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Irrelevant, ignorant & ill-informed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,113 Times in 521 Posts
Exclamation Strip searches at TDCJ

I think this ugly practice of strip searching inmates in a degrading and humiliating way needs to stop!! While, I understand that "these" searches are security related.......that is not always why they are conducted!! Strip searches are often used as a discipinary tool.....if you act up, YOU WILL BE HUMILIATED AND DEGRADED!! I've included a paragraph on this subject in my second blog...TDCJ CONCENTRATION CAMPS. I am going to re-type the excerpt pertaining to strip searches below.

Through all of this, I think the worst had to be the degrading strip searches on public walkways, in front of female staff, and in extreme temperatures!! You could be made to strip anywhere, anytime, and in front of anyone!! Strip searches consisted of getting completely naked, lifting your testacles, and bending over & spreading your ass cheeks apart......and, if you are an uncircumcised male, you had to pull back the foreskin on your penis. This wouldn't be as bad if they pulled you aside and did this in private; however, where is the deep humiliation in that?? I remember once being in the mail line to recieve some books along with about 25 other guys. Two guys were brought out of the kitchen and strip searched right next to the mail lady...with all of us in line and some female teachers and CO's walking down the walkway!! Believe me, I was embarrassed enough for both of them!! Oh yeah, and strip searches were also used as a disciplinary tool....f**k the security aspect of it........ACT UP and you were made to get naked, and stand like that on the walkway until you were told otherwise!!

This is the way strip searches were conducted at CCA Bradshaw when I was there.......although, I'm sure not much has changed. CCA follows TDCJ guidelines pertaining to all inmates doing state time at its Texas facilities........this excludes federal and/ or immigration facilities that are CCA operated and located in Texas. The above excerpt is just one paragraph in my blog......the paragraph that pertains to strip searches. To grasp the full context and meaning, I suggest reading the blog in its entirety................andy
The Following User Says Thank You to retired-37 For This Useful Post:
Michelep68 (08-12-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 PM

I quite disturbed at hearing this. I cannot believe that this is or was going on. My husband has mentioned something of this nature to me before only it was the men CO's searching and yes the male CO's did touch the inmates and between each inmate the CO's did not change thier gloves. I think it is pretty nasty. They want to protect theirselves, but what about the protection of the others.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,759 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by achapinguy View Post
I think this ugly practice of strip searching inmates in a degrading and humiliating way needs to stop!! While, I understand that "these" searches are security related.......that is not always why they are conducted!! Strip searches are often used as a discipinary tool.....if you act up, YOU WILL BE HUMILIATED AND DEGRADED!! I've included a paragraph on this subject in my second blog...TDCJ CONCENTRATION CAMPS. I am going to re-type the excerpt pertaining to strip searches below.

Through all of this, I think the worst had to be the degrading strip searches on public walkways, in front of female staff, and in extreme temperatures!! You could be made to strip anywhere, anytime, and in front of anyone!! Strip searches consisted of getting completely naked, lifting your testacles, and bending over & spreading your ass cheeks apart......and, if you are an uncircumcised male, you had to pull back the foreskin on your penis. This wouldn't be as bad if they pulled you aside and did this in private; however, where is the deep humiliation in that?? I remember once being in the mail line to recieve some books along with about 25 other guys. Two guys were brought out of the kitchen and strip searched right next to the mail lady...with all of us in line and some female teachers and CO's walking down the walkway!! Believe me, I was embarrassed enough for both of them!! Oh yeah, and strip searches were also used as a disciplinary tool....f**k the security aspect of it........ACT UP and you were made to get naked, and stand like that on the walkway until you were told otherwise!!

This is the way strip searches were conducted at CCA Bradshaw when I was there.......although, I'm sure not much has changed. CCA follows TDCJ guidelines pertaining to all inmates doing state time at its Texas facilities........this excludes federal and/ or immigration facilities that are CCA operated and located in Texas. The above excerpt is just one paragraph in my blog......the paragraph that pertains to strip searches. To grasp the full context and meaning, I suggest reading the blog in its entirety................andy
I would contact the ACLU and work through them. This really does need to be addressed. Of all inmate complaints I review, I have a ton of these and I BELIEVE them! Hiding behind "policy" does not make it humane or "right" but again, we are talking about TDCJ.