Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

TDCJ - What You Need to Know Whatever you need to know about the Texas Department of Criminal Justice can probably be found here!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Difference in Changes Class or Voyager Class?

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Changes and Voyager? My husband said they are the same and since he has completed one can he get his sentenced shortened.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,222 Times in 641 Posts

I know Voyager is religious based, but I think Changes is more about decision making, kind of like cognitive intervention. Mrs. Vincent who does Voyager at Gist is very good about getting the guys to open up.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

That is the difference. Here is an excerpt from the preciousheart.net site that gives a bit of a description ...

The Voyager Program was most the recent statewide chaplaincy effort and was a team effort with the Windham School District. Half of the program curriculum used by the chaplaincy department was a duplication of Windham's total Changes Program. The latter half of the Voyager Program was additional material that was spiritually based and flexible enough to accommodate different religions. The Voyager Program was designed to help prisoners explore personal, spiritual, and interpersonal growth issues utilizing a workbook and group dynamics under the guidance of a facilitator.

Here is a link to the page.

http://www.preciousheart.net/chaplai...ng_History.htm
mamajmg (08-12-2009), walkonwater (08-04-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I love my inmate

Thanked 1,079 Times in 635 Posts

I don't think just because he completed one of those classes that he can get his sentence shortened, tho. Usually the classes are required before they are released on Parole. They are usually required to take it within 2 years of being released, so the fact that he's completed it is a good sign.

The Following User Says Thank You to Michelep68 For This Useful Post:
RobinsMan (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 AM

Michele is right, it won't affect when he is released other than most folks are required to take Changes (or Voyager, if available and they choose it) before release so if he has it done then there will be no wait to complete it if he is approved for parole
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,023 Posts

Am I to understand that they can voluntarily take Changes? They don't need to wait to be directed by the parole board to take it? And if they've taken cognitive intervention, should/would they be required to also take Changes?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I love my inmate

I don't think Changes is something they can request, but the unit will sign them up for it or the Parole Board will require it as a condition of release. It is a separate class from Cognitive Intervention, tho they might go over some of the same things that they did in CI. There are several units (I think 7), each one lasting 10 days. My fiancee is in it now and is really enjoying it. And, contrary to what I've read on other posts, he doesn't watch a video every day. He really likes his teacher, too.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,023 Posts

My son just completed his first week of cognitive intervention. He loves it too! And it's not a fluff class or waste of taxpayor dollars as I've seen others posting. It's for real! Now, he does describe some of those in as, well, imagine Animal House meets TDCJ ... but the instructor has control over it and uses some of the bizarreness to really make them think. And believe it or not ... he's got my son journaling!!!!! Who woulda thunk?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 AM

Changes is not a class that someone can simply choose to take. Anyone that is in Changes has been placed there by the parole division and it happens in the normal course of events once a person comes within two years of their PRD. I do not think that the parole division will place someone into Voyager which is voluntary. I am not certain if there are any restrictions on when someone can sign up for Voyager such as the "within two years of their PRD" restriction on Changes. I do believe that if someone takes either class too far in advance of release they will be required to take it again if it is a prerequisite for such.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoMom View Post
My son just completed his first week of cognitive intervention. He loves it too! And it's not a fluff class or waste of taxpayor dollars as I've seen others posting. It's for real! Now, he does describe some of those in as, well, imagine Animal House meets TDCJ ... but the instructor has control over it and uses some of the bizarreness to really make them think. And believe it or not ... he's got my son journaling!!!!! Who woulda thunk?
What's funny is after our postings of it being a "fluff" class, there was a big turn over in how it was being administered and the curriculum writer had to alter some things. Windham School did read this board and make the necessary curriculum changes to the "Change" class.

Once they know the public is "on" to them...it's amazing what is accomplished.

So...keep writing on this board everyone...it can make a difference!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Update on Windham School Classes: Cognitive Intervention is getting rave reviews. They say it is truly useful information and well written curriculum. "Changes" on the other hand, still leaves alot to be desired. The writer of the curriculum got ticked off when she heard that experienced teachers trying to do their job disagreed with her that the class should take 220 hours to complete. Parole was told it could be completed with 180 hours (3 months) and teachers and students with teaching backgrounds look at the curriculum and agreed that it is stretching it to make the class last more than 120 hours. So it still needs some work. The quotes written by the curriculum writer quite honestly are the types of things you would see in a kindergarten classroom. My man got to meet the writer when she audited their class one day. He said she is one of the most arogant women he has ever met. Thank heavens he had a gifted and talented teacher imparting the information. She was able to make it as interesting as possible. He really wishes he had been assigned to take Cognitive Intervention instead of Changes after learning of the drastic program differences. Maybe it's time that Changes be scratched from the offerings. What do you think?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I love my inmate

My fiancee said that a lot of the same things from CI are in Changes. How long as your hubby been in Changes?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelep68 View Post
My fiancee said that a lot of the same things from CI are in Changes. How long as your hubby been in Changes?
He just finished the course. He is a former teacher and writer and told me from day one when he saw the outline of the course and the curriculum he knew it wouldn't take anywhere near 180 hours to teach it. The information in Cognitive Intervention sounded to him to be much more valuable and useful to the average inmate than Changes was.

Voyager is basically the Changes class from a Christian perspective.

Last edited by Disgusted1; 08-12-2009 at 10:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Disgusted1 For This Useful Post:
Michelep68 (08-13-2009)
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
One day at a time...
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted1 View Post
Update on Windham School Classes: Cognitive Intervention is getting rave reviews. They say it is truly useful information and well written curriculum. "Changes" on the other hand, still leaves alot to be desired. The writer of the curriculum got ticked off when she heard that experienced teachers trying to do their job disagreed with her that the class should take 220 hours to complete. Parole was told it could be completed with 180 hours (3 months) and teachers and students with teaching backgrounds look at the curriculum and agreed that it is stretching it to make the class last more than 120 hours. So it still needs some work. The quotes written by the curriculum writer quite honestly are the types of things you would see in a kindergarten classroom. My man got to meet the writer when she audited their class one day. He said she is one of the most arogant women he has ever met. Thank heavens he had a gifted and talented teacher imparting the information. She was able to make it as interesting as possible. He really wishes he had been assigned to take Cognitive Intervention instead of Changes after learning of the drastic program differences. Maybe it's time that Changes be scratched from the offerings. What do you think?

Agreed.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I love my inmate

My fiancee did say that he was getting a lot out of Changes, so I don't know if it needs to be scratched completey, maybe just revamped and shortened.