Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IDAHO > Idaho Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Idaho Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Idaho prisons.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Question Northern Idaho Correctiona Center - NICI

Would anyone know of changes that have taken place since 2004 at NICI?
I understand that NICI changed during 2007 to only or primarily have substance abuse users (drugs/alcohol) now verses prior it was everyone and their brother for a second chance. And it was a one time deal and if you blew it then the next step was prison prison if you failed NICI.
I found an article that stated there is now an on site psychologist who does evaluations where as this wasn't present prior in 2004/2005 either. Previously they would not accept prior evaluations from physicians for ADD or ADHD.
It was simply hard core boot camp - no matter what your issue. When did this second chance start 'to get to the core/root of the issue'? How true is this? Is this real or simply more Idaho/Marine system of appeasing the media?
If it's still the same system as before then I'd just like to know for sure.
Any information will be appreciated and particularily those who have complete this difficult situation.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Not sure how much NICI has changed since I went through there in late 1996 to early 1997, but I've heard its gotten a lot more lax. But for offenders with mental health issues, they generally get to do their 6-month Riders on the Yard (ISCI) in either Unit 14 or Unit 16, instead of being subjected to all the stress that a "boot-camp" style setting can cause up there at NICI.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 PM

I did a rider between oct 2012 and Feb 2013... It is constantly changing. It is basically a fucked up experiment now. There are four different riders (atleast there were when I was there)... TC, Traditional, Low Risk Offender Program and Sex Offender. No more bootcamp or marching. Beds have to be perfectly made, no wrinkles/creases. Clothes have to be clean and ironed (they aren't too uppity on this one, but a few people iron, just can't be wrinkled), shirts tucked in, must be inspection ready between 7am and 8pm. You can have beards and mustaches now, but they cannot be longer than half an inch and must be neat and orderly.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeDyl For This Useful Post:
David (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
PTO Admin - SysOp
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,928 Times in 967 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info, FreeDyl.

This is slightly off-topic but I've never heard the term "rider" before and we don't have it listed in PTO's Glossary of Prison Related Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology. Could you give me the definition? I'd like to add it.

Thanks!

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...