Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arkansas DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Arkansas Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Default 70% law

Has anyone heard that the 70% law was going before the legislation to reduce it to 50%. I talked to my son last night and said he had heard this. Does anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Donation Award 

It would be wonderful if it is true. Of course I am sure some of those sentenced under the 70% law would be excluded. My son for instance.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Default new

UBO
I am new to all of this and really don't understand everything, although I found this site a few months ago and check it all time for information associated with ADC, I just registered last week. Yes, It would be great if some of the inmates sentence could be reduced to less than 70%. Also, have you heard anything about changes being made to Act 600, which is associated with class y felonys, and how it would affect the 70% law? Any information would be helpful.
I feel so helpless sometimes trying to find out information and can't find the information I'm looking for, so hope some of you kind people out there can help me if you have heard anything at all.
I really miss my son and can only visit him about every 3 months because I live about 5 hours away. I talk to him on the phone all time, but that is not like talking to him in person.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Hello Sadforever I wish we all could see the 70 0/0 changed they talk about it alot but nothing ever happens we need a state rep or someone who is willing to take a stand for us and Our loved ones to take a bill to the legislation and it become an Act but finding someone to do that has been next to impossible for me.I tried before wrote letters made phonecalls and got no where.it is sad no one really wants to help anyone, it means sticking their necks out for people they don't know.But with the overcrowding problems with the ADC right now they need something and changing the 70 0/0 would help tremendously with that.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks ittybittykitty
I appreciate the information you gave me. Hopefully sometime in the furture something will happen to change this.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM

2/26/09 Little Rock:
The Arkansas Senate has unanimously approved a bill allowing prison-time reductions for convicted methamphetamine makers sentenced under a 1997 law requiring them to serve at least 70% of their sentence

Last edited by mortimersmith; 02-26-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Hello, everyone. I am new to the site and forum. I found this site because I wanted to know more about the 70% Rule. My son was sentenced almost 2 years ago under this rule and it is so unfair. I have read the forums and am willing to help. The jury had a chance to give him a life sentence and chose not to and chose 60 years, but the judge gave him one by running two 60 year terms consecutively...He had just turned 18. I took notes during his trial. I am really lost when it comes to the legal system and when I started paying an attorney to do his appeal, the attorney took a job with the state of Arkansas and didn't even tell me until I went to make another payment and found out he no longer worked as a private attorney but was now employed as an attorney for the state. Please email me or whatever to let me know what I can do. I know I will have others to help. Also having problems with visiting him. They have him in adseg and have been there for almost a year without incident. Can't visit as often because visitation is on Wednesday and would have to miss work. The legal system is all screwed up. I am referring to the court system and Cummins Unit.

Last edited by EPEEL; 03-01-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Do all class y felonys fall under the 70% law?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

No there are some crack charges that are Y but are not 70%
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Talking

The SB444 passed the House and the Senate and is sitting on the desk of the Governor right now! This will apply to only those class Y felonies previous August 2005 with manufacturing charges and possession intent to deliver charges. This law was passed a few years ago for charges Aug 2005 and after they are basically just making it retro-active. I have been watching it for two weeks and learning a lot. This will get my brother out this year...we are so excited!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Are you saying all drug related class Y felonies will no longer be under 70%

Please clarify. This would be great news though. I mean you have meth addicts cooking to fill their habit and getting 40 years under 70 % They have to serve 28 years. Its to much. Especially in light of the fact that they are getting more time than pedophiles I find that unacceptable. No offense meant to family members of those convicted of those crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajs458 View Post
The SB444 passed the House and the Senate and is sitting on the desk of the Governor right now! This will apply to only those class Y felonies previous August 2005 with manufacturing charges and possession intent to deliver charges. This law was passed a few years ago for charges Aug 2005 and after they are basically just making it retro-active. I have been watching it for two weeks and learning a lot. This will get my brother out this year...we are so excited!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Please see attachment. This is for these charges Manufacture of methamphetamine, § 5-64-401(a)(1); or
5 (G) Possession of drug paraphernalia with the intent to manufacture methamphetamine, § 5-64-403(c)(5). People with good behavior will get out on the 50% change. We are waiting on the Governor to sign and to find out the beginning date.

Hope that helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB444.pdf (30.1 KB, 101 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to karajs458 For This Useful Post:
FinallyFree (03-11-2009)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM

KaRA,

Great job. This is going to do a lot to ease over crowing. There are a lot of guys sitting there that thought they were going to have to stay for 5 years more plus that may be coming home now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajs458 View Post
Please see attachment. This is for these charges Manufacture of methamphetamine, § 5-64-401(a)(1); or
5 (G) Possession of drug paraphernalia with the intent to manufacture methamphetamine, § 5-64-403(c)(5). People with good behavior will get out on the 50% change. We are waiting on the Governor to sign and to find out the beginning date.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Is it true that all habitual offenders are under a 70% also?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Under this 70% Law will it affected the ones that are in prison now that are under the 70% law for class Y charges?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 AM

No...I was a habitual offender and I was not under 70%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenae View Post
Is it true that all habitual offenders are under a 70% also?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreen56 View Post
Under this 70% Law will it affected the ones that are in prison now that are under the 70% law for class Y charges?
I hope anyone reads my first quote because my husband is in prison under the 70% Law for crime he did not commit. And I am looking for answers for him if anyone can help me.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfareyx3 View Post
THE ARKANSAS 70 PERCENT RULE

FOR CLASS Y FELONS, INCLUDING DRUG OFFENDERS

I am looking for anyone who has loved ones sentenced under the
Arkansas 70 percent rule. I would like to form a petition/ letter to
Arkansas officials or perhaps a Bill to ERADICATE the 70 percent rule,
making the revisions retroactive to all inmates who have been sentenced
under this law.

Please contact me if you are interested in helping or if you may have useful information or if you would like more info.

Thank you
posted 2/18/07

If this message should be posted somewhere else, please post in the appropriate spot .

My husband is under the 70% law if there is anything that I might do I will be willing to do it. Because he did not commit the crime that he was charge with under the 70% law.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Default 70% Law

My son was recently convicted of aggravated bank robbery. He was sentenced to 35 years. They will run concurrently so he will serve 10 and 1/2 years under the 70% law. I really believe that this is unconstitutional. He was charged in federal court and the charges were dropped. He never pulled a weapon nor threatened to harm anyone. The state made the single robbery 2 counts both Y felonies and 1 count of theft of property. He had no criminal history. He was under a psychiatrist's care taking serious meds. I will do whatever it takes to get this law reversed. The victims of this crime are his wife, daughter, and parents.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Arlene Fugi View Post
My son was recently convicted of aggravated bank robbery. He was sentenced to 35 years. They will run concurrently so he will serve 10 and 1/2 years under the 70% law. I really believe that this is unconstitutional. He was charged in federal court and the charges were dropped. He never pulled a weapon nor threatened to harm anyone. The state made the single robbery 2 counts both Y felonies and 1 count of theft of property. He had no criminal history. He was under a psychiatrist's care taking serious meds. I will do whatever it takes to get this law reversed. The victims of this crime are his wife, daughter, and parents.

The thing is that the 70 percent is for violent offenders and looks like the state is not looking to get rid of this law. With him getting his charges dropped by the feds. The state must have picked those charges up.
If you look at most of the bills getting passed right now its for non violent offenders. "It's going to take a heck of a lot of work to get the state to get rid of that law because if they do it would have a ton of violent offenders eligible for parole. It really would help out on the overcrowding but like i saw thats something that the politicans would have to do.