Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Protective custody

I am hoping someone can help me here.. I have no faith in the justice system and I need to know what other steps i can take to make sure my son gets protective custody. If he goes to a yard he is in alot of trouble and no one in the system seems to believe it ..He has filed all the paperwork i have sent in paperwork that they conveniently lost and they still have denied him.. I know he can appeal it but there has got to be a way to get him PC.. They just dont care.. i understand that but i need to know who it is that can do something or even help me out and give some advice. I know if he goes to a yard he will be dead within a month due to his case..so now what? I can not just sit back..I know i will be calling people at the prison tomorrow but im sure i will get the runaround ..Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM
lol no longer *his*

Thanked 1,401 Times in 786 Posts

awww I'm so sorry!

I don't have "alot" of experience with the prison systems but I found a few numbers that may help.

Arizona Department of Corrections
Security Threat Group Unit
Mail Code 930
801 S. 16th St., Ste 1
Phoenix, Arizona 85034

Tel. (602) 771-5600

email:
azprisongangs@hotmail.com

or call ADC:

Director's Office

602-542-5497

Inmate Information

602-364-3945

Again, I'm sorry. I wish I could be of more help. Keep calling the Warden or their CO and everyone. I think one main important thing is to let them know YOU are aware of a possible situation and trying to bring it to someone's attention. Make sure you get the names you are talking to.
I pray to God that nothing will happen but "in case" anything happens, you have something to stand on that you seeked help.

Alex came home but now is gone. I don't miss him, I miss who I thought he was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Princess For This Useful Post:
debindesert (03-05-2010), NtShadow (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
In Love With My Husband

Default Some Numbers...Hopefully Still The Same

If it were my son or family member I would be sure & get ahold of the warden, deputy warden, & his CO III (counselor) at his prison & speak to them personally (not office or clerical personnel)...if after explaining the situation & requesting protective custody to no avail. I would contact Central Office in Phoenix Friends & Family Liason & explain the situtation....they are the ones who can get an investigation going...

I believe Security Threat Groups are for gang related issues...

best of luck

Some helpful Phone numbers for AZ Central Office

Genral Info.- (602)542-5536
After Hours Emergency Number-(602)542-1212
Central Classification Unit-(602)542-3896
Community Supervision-(602)255-4240
Director's Office-(602)542-5497
Education Program Administrator-(602)542-3031
Family Assistance Coordinator-(602)542-3148
Female Program Administrator-(602)542-5620
Fugitives and Jail Holds-(602)255-4244
Health Service Division- (602)364-2900
Hearing's Unit-(602)255-4247
Inmate Family and Friends Liaison-(866)333-2039
Inmate Trust Accounts (Financial Services)-(602)255-2632

Interstate Compacts or U.S Treaty Transfers Inmate -(602)542-5115
Parolees-(602)255-4236
Library Services Coordinator-(602)542-3159
Media and Public Relations Office-(602)542-3133
Offenders Service Bureau-(602)542-3896
Pastoral Services Administrator-(602)542-3090
Policy and Research-(602)771-2100
Prison Operations Bureau-(602)542-3894
Private Prison Operations-(602)364-0277
Protective Segregation Unit-(602)542-0122
Public Access-(602)542-5590
Sex Offender Registration/Notification-(602)255-4244
Sexually Violent Person Laws-(602)255-4244
Special Education Coordinator- (602)542-5810
Substance Abuse Services-(602)542-3031
Temporary Release-(602)255-4240
Time Computation Unit-(602)542-5586
The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle56 For This Useful Post:
debindesert (07-26-2009)
Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Donation Award 

bejo..take a deep breath.
It depends on the kind of yard to which your son is being sent. Most are gp but some are not -a few are essentially dedicated SO yards.
The mantra is "don't ask, don't tell." That should keep him relatively safe. Good luck.

True remorse is never just a regret over consequences; it is a regret over motive. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Without hope you have no vision, and a vision without action is simply a dream. -Frank O'Dea, co-founder of The Second Cup
Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejo View Post
I am hoping someone can help me here.. I have no faith in the justice system and I need to know what other steps i can take to make sure my son gets protective custody. If he goes to a yard he is in alot of trouble and no one in the system seems to believe it ..He has filed all the paperwork i have sent in paperwork that they conveniently lost and they still have denied him.. I know he can appeal it but there has got to be a way to get him PC.. They just dont care.. i understand that but i need to know who it is that can do something or even help me out and give some advice. I know if he goes to a yard he will be dead within a month due to his case..so now what? I can not just sit back..I know i will be calling people at the prison tomorrow but im sure i will get the runaround ..Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
Hi, I'm not being nosy but what are the particulars of his case if you don't mind stating them? How old is he? Has he got a prior prison/criminal record? Any physical health issues which could potentially impair his ability to defend himself? Any mental health issues, which could impair his ability to think rationally?

I'd suggest submitting him for a psychiatric evaluation, if it has not already been done, it may turn something of value up. However it would be opening a can of worms and could result in a protracted stint at a mental facility if they found he had mental problems, but to many that would be preferable to being in the general prison population.

Human rights laws could be an effective tool (the right to humane treatment and a safe place during detention).

Are the problems specific to his correctional facility? If so consider asking for a transfer on those grounds? Or is it a more general problem?

Keep on calling, get a lawyer on it (they knows the ins and outs of it all and can give your arguments a boost). Consult a lawyer and ask for legal advice on the applicable laws.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejo View Post
Also, I forgot to mention, keep ahold of EVERY scrap of paper they send you. God forbid anything does happen to him it would prove useful in a civil suit against the Department of Corrections.

Once again its imperative, if someone (either people on this forum or, better yet, a lawyer) are to help you that you be completely honest about what he is in there for. Some offenders are genuinely at risk, some may have an imagined threat, it depends on how the other convicts perceive them.

If you have reasonable grounds for saying he could be harmed then trawl through the internet and drag up some precedent. Has someone in his situation been killed in prison before? If so that should be reasonable grounds for him being taken into protective custody.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Donation Award 

First off, I guess I would recommend not putting everything out here on the public forum -- you don't know who's reading it or how it could be used against you later on.

I'm not sure if perhaps the rules for protective custody are different for sex offenders or gay individuals, I don't know, it's not something I've ever had to deal with, but getting into protective custody isn't just as easy as filling out the paperwork and being accepted. I'm not going to go into details about our case, but it's been a multi-year battle with pages upon pages of solid evidence. I guess all I can really say is, be prepared for a battle.
debindesert (07-26-2009), NtShadow (11-26-2008)
Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 PM
...and the plot thickens.
Donation Award 

ADC is very reluctant to put someone PC because the beds cost the state more money. But if all else fails and it looks like his DI-67 is going to get denied, then nothing works like the threat of going to the media. I wouldn't actually do it unless it was a last resort, but a subtle suggestion is a beautiful thing. It works better than threatening to sue. Good luck!

I'M STILL A MAD, MAD WOMAN.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Lost my love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14monthsleft View Post
ADC is very reluctant to put someone PC because the beds cost the state more money. But if all else fails and it looks like his DI-67 is going to get denied, then nothing works like the threat of going to the media. I wouldn't actually do it unless it was a last resort, but a subtle suggestion is a beautiful thing. It works better than threatening to sue. Good luck!

Bejo, 14months is right... threaten media coverage. It is very hard to get someone into PC, but nothing works to get your way like threatening to go to the media. The last thing ADC wants is for something to happen to this guy, whether it's injuries or death, and have it be on their heads that YOU and your son told them it would happen if he wasn't in PC. You have no idea what a whirlwind of crap ADC would suffer if that got out. And coming from someone that has used the threat of media coverage, IT WORKS!!! And document EVERYTHING!!!

Good luck to you! Remember to be strong, sometimes things take time. I don't know the nature of your son's crime, but the best thing is for him to keep his mouth shut as long as possible.

"The fight is well worth the war that we face inside. You win some, you lose some, but in the end it was worth it."
Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Default This is not good...

The reason he needs protective custody is a major major factor,some of the correction officers are worse than the prisoners....Its very possible the corection officer or officers are gettn paid to run u in circles...This is not good and there is nothing or no one to tell,cuz u cant get past the "bad" correction officers.Good Luck
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylMyers View Post
The reason he needs protective custody is a major major factor,some of the correction officers are worse than the prisoners....Its very possible the corection officer or officers are gettn paid to run u in circles...This is not good and there is nothing or no one to tell,cuz u cant get past the "bad" correction officers.Good Luck
Correctional Officers are not very involved with the process Cheryl..... I have a pretty indepth knowledge of the DI67 process feel free to contact me via PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

I just found this post I'm hoping maybe you can help me. My son got into a bit of trouble in GP he was jumped in the bathroom and requested to be move from his unit now he is in fear for his safety and has been in 3 different prison CDU’s in the past 6 months. He has filled out all the necessary paper work they send it to central office only to be denied 4 times. Now they have him as refused to house. It doesn't matter who I call I just get the run around I can not get this resolved at the prison level. I haven't been able to have a decent visit with in over 6 months no hugs no contact how is this supposed to rehabilitate an inmate by segregating them from their loved ones he is only 20 still a kid. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Lisa-M; 02-17-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM

If you cant get your son into PC through proper channels, have your son tell a guard or even the warden that he "refuses housing" he will be punished by being thrown in the hole aka PC. that will get him in at least....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-M View Post
I just found this post I'm hoping maybe you can help me. My son got into a bit of trouble in GP he was jumped in the bathroom and requested to be move from his unit now he is in fear for his safety and has been in 3 different prison CDU’s in the past 6 months. He has filled out all the necessary paper work they send it to central office only to be denied 4 times. Now they have him as refused to house. It doesn't matter who I call I just get the run around I can not get this resolved at the prison level. I haven't been able to have a decent visit with in over 6 months no hugs no contact how is this supposed to rehabilitate an inmate by segregating them from their loved ones he is only 20 still a kid. Anyone have any suggestions?
That is the sad part, if your in PC you dont get anything. 23 hours a day locked in a room by your self. maybe a book, but thats about it.