Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Mary

Default Civil addict Commit at CRC Norco but???

My son is a civil addict commit At CRC. He was only there for maybe 2 months. They had a riot in his dorm on Oct.26,2008.He's a non-participant,was hit in back of head with a broom handle,knocked
unconcious and had 7 staples to close the wound.Immediately,with maybe
12 other men was taken to CIM and for 48 hours had no bed only floor
to sleep on.CIM kept shuffling him from one holding to another.With a brand new head wound,7 staples and a neck brace,he gets the floor to sleep on.
And it keeps getting better!! He was finally put in Ad Seg(CRC has no admin.Segregation)!! His first cell(ad-seg)was without anyone even giving him a 602form.Nothing to read like he blew up New York or something.The c/o's were no help,no mail was getting through but very minimal.I send a letter/postcard or something everyday.Had to call CIM,they said call CRC.I got so determined that I called someone from both places everyday,for days.Called an Ombudswoman and she blew it off."He gets everything he needs don't let him worry you!"She didn't want to hear it!He got ICC and within 15 days his 115 write-up.On the 29th day he goes to his hearing,
wasn't allowed to talk,Lt(hearing officer)said he was injured so therefore
he's guilty of participating.The warden Mr Martel,saw him on the floor with a nurse stopping the bleeding,he was on the other side of the dorm 214 from where the riot took place.Except the guy who knocked him out!
He was moved from Birch Hall to Cypress Hall.The c/o's are better and he
gets all his mail,but no books or magazines that I ordered for him.Got only about 4or5 magazines out of the 2 pages I have written down and saved in my email folder.No books yet!I'm being billed for mags and books.His hearing with Lt Higher up hearing lady,saw him on the 3rd of Dec.08.Not one of the
CCll's at CRC or the CCII Higher Custody Officers have a clue yet as when he will be at his ICC.I read ICC is suppose to be at least 14 days after the hearing.The LT Hearing lady talked to me before he had his hearing 2x's,
I was told by a CCII Higher Custody that she couldn't talk to me before the hearing because that's very unprofessional.I had to put a complaint in on his Dr.My son requested to see him,sent 602 forms,most were sent back to him.
The day I complained to the Drs. boss,the Dr saw my son.All total it took one month and 2 days to get a dr.to see him from his request.Yes,there is so much more but I'll leave it here for now.I am on a first name basis with everyone at CRC from mail to warden and any and everyone in between.
They have his power of atty at CIM's medical,CRC seems to not have a clue what a power of atty is(medical)I'm his P.O.Atty.Pretty much on a first name basis with anyone I can get to talk to me at CIM,too.He's been out of his Civil program for a long time.That's the reason he and his atty pushed for CRC,they're suppose to have a good rehab.program.(Was told)I keep hearing the longer he's in ad-seg the more time served he'll get when goes to ICC.But,that's bull he needs a rehab.program,not sitting,sleeping, waiting for ICC.By the way CIM has not allowed him access to the law library and I've done my homework,even ad-seg or other places where people get hidden are allowed access to the law library.ALL INMATES!one way or another!
Between CRC and CIM they're not on the same page with CRC commits! I have pics of him after he was stapled and a page of his 115.
Have written the top Ombudsman is Sacramento,and Warden Martel twice.
CRC and all Ca prisons are suppose to take a family complaint seriously and write back within 14 days.Guess people just can't count or understand english anymore.Sent a couple emails to state people to no avail. My son
has had his rights violated and so many wrongs done to him.I've tried righting these wrongs,I will get more agrressive, but I need help!!!!!
Thank you for listening and if you know anything that will help,ANYTHING,
you will have 2 people very much in your debt!

From another Mom that takes care of their own!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to roiz11 For This Useful Post:
StormyLove2 (12-27-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

You need to get a form authorizing medical to release information to you on file as soon as possible, the power of attorney is not enough. The federal health care receivers office will send you the form and you can send it to your son, have him fill it out sign it and have someone from medical put it in his c-file.

Alot of us have gone through horror stories like yours, and I am afraid I don't have any good news for you- just keep fighting. The ombudsman is useless (at least the one where my son is), the wardens will co-sign everything that happens in the facility, and at times you feel like you don't know where to turn.

Make sure he appeals the 115, that sounds crazy- does he have anyone who can testify that he was not a participant?

My son is in SATF and gets 2 or 3 magazines out of the 7 I have subscribed to for him, I don't know where they go, I could guess but I don't want to make accusations when I'm not sure.

Books take longer to receive, they go to R&R and are distributed from there, it takes my son about 10 days to 2 weeks to get a book.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,163 Times in 860 Posts

Hi Mary - welcome to PTO

2Sleepy is right. Without form #CDCR7385 on file, even with a California Durable Power of Attorney and/or a California Durable Medical Power of Attorney on file, CDCR personnel will not talk to you. Your son should be able to get one of these forms from any of the doctors on staff, or if your son's counselor is a good one, they may be able to help him get one.

You speak of Warden Martel. Martel is the Warden at Mule Creek, it is showing Mike Poulos is the Warden at CIM. Unless there have been recent changes, you may have the wrong information.

On the 115 - I would contact Suzan Hubbard's office and ask to speak to whoever handles CIM
CDCR Division of Adult Institutions
Attn: Suzan Hubbard
P. O. Box 942883
Sacramento CA. 94283
(916) 445-7688
FAX: 916-322-2877
Her office does not work on medical problems though. On the lack of care your son is receiving, you need to contact the Receiver's Office:
J. Clark Kelso, Receiver
California Prison Health Care Receivership Corporation
501 J Street, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 323-1221 • Fax (916) 323-1257
(916) 324-1403 •www.cprinc.org
And you might want to contact the Receiver's Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Winslow – (916) 323-2150
(916) 322-1392 FAX

My son was attacked back in 2003, and has permanent disabilities because of the untimely medical care he received, so I well understand your concern.

If you need any additional information, just let me know.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

On top of everything else, you'll need a copy of a HIPPA release that they'll deem sufficient. I wondering about whether there's any way to argue a due process violation when he was initially put in ad seg. The risk of pushing this is that they might work harder to justify their actions. It's also likely require hiring a lawyer, and I doubt you'll find one willing to do it for less than hourly pay. We're talking thousands of dollars (at around $350/hr.), if that is true.

There's the continiuing problem of him not being released until they say he's ready to be released. (CRC Civil time doiesn't have an out date.)

I wonder who decided CRC was a "good program". It is generally viewed as a better way to do time in a limited number of cases; and for some it can substantially reduce teh time served. However, as a program it is crummy. Better than a whack on the kneee i suppose but compared to a street long term program it has a miserable track record. (Of course, much of that might be dure to the majority of participants not really having their heart in it.) There is a notable exception for a few participants in "experimental" programs that are administered by street programs. These include one conducted by the folks at Walden House in the Bay area.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
I wonder who decided CRC was a "good program". It is generally viewed as a better way to do time in a limited number of cases; and for some it can substantially reduce teh time served. However, as a program it is crummy. Better than a whack on the kneee i suppose but compared to a street long term program it has a miserable track record. (Of course, much of that might be dure to the majority of participants not really having their heart in it.) There is a notable exception for a few participants in "experimental" programs that are administered by street programs. These include one conducted by the folks at Walden House in the Bay area.
Judges try to sell it during sentencing, the reality is it has a 7 year parole and it's one of the toughest paroles to manage without getting violated
Old 12-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Mary

Thank each of you! I'm taking all advice and info,wrote it down!
I had a thank you and remarks to each of your replys.I sat here an hour
writing it and missed post and it disappeared.I feel so bad about that!!!!
I am truly sorry for your son Madhatter.Gryphon what's HIPPA?my son wasn't allowed due process at his hearing with Lt Chaney.Would not let him speak for himself!Madhatter,you gave me so much homework,thanx,I will get in touch if I need any other info. Hi 2sleepy,Ombudsman have to answer to someone and bet I don't find
out.The system,personnel,and whoever have messed with my whole family too many time so guess I'm on a advicate mission for all.I have some help here.My son gives my info to whoever is messed with and so all is good there.But will still need info and suggetions from my new found friends.As my daughter says,''You guys rock" and she's
right. If there is anything ever that I can help with please contact me.
You are all great.Thanx,
Mary
Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Mary

OK!This is 3rd time,I'm thanking all of you and hope this one makes it.Ist one took me an hour to go through each of your different info/advice
I'll get the hang of this yet.Again all advise/info/contacts have written down!
All of you gave me something to chew on.If I can help anyone at all just ask
Medical papers taken care of.Homework will be looked into Sunday!What is HIPPA?
My little girl says"You guys rock" she's right!
Mary
Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by roiz11 View Post

Hi 2sleepy,Ombudsman have to answer to someone and bet I don't find out.

My son gives my info to whoever is messed with and so all is good there.But will still need info and suggetions from my new found friends.

As my daughter says,''You guys rock" and she's right.
Mary

Mary, just a few words of advice.

At the prison my son is in, they "play games" with paperwork - and I imagine it is the same all over.

Your son needs to get copies of ALL of his medical files, and his 115, copies of the 602's he files, etc. These files have a habit of coming up missing.......or altered. He may have to pay a small fee for copies, if he has any money on his books, but it is well worth it. Then he needs to send the copies to you for safe keeping (my son has lost a lot when he has been rolled up or in cell searches). When I call the prison/cdcr/etc., I can refer to specific medical reports, and fax them when necessary.

My son sends the copies a few at a time, and tells me what copies he is sending in his letters so I know if something is missing.

On the Ombudsman - here is the head of the Ombudsman's Office:
Ken Hurdle
Chief Ombudsman
Ken.Hurdle@cdcr.ca.gov
(916) 445-1748

The Office of the Ombudsman works directly for the Secretary as an independent entity- or special advisor- on sensitive issues that relate to a specific institution. The Ombudsman provides management advice and consultation to the Secretary and makes recommendations to resolve critical issues that impact departmental policies, procedures and programs applicable to specific institutions. The Ombudsman serves as a key policy and public relations expert, with a focus on ethical decision-making, and has extensive contact with staff, inmates and their families, legislative bodies and community-based groups.
When contacting the Ombudsman’s Office, please provide the following information:
  • Your Name
  • Your Phone Number
  • Your Relationship to the Offender
  • Name of the Offender
  • CDC Number of the Offender
  • Location of the Offender
  • Brief Description of the Offender
Provide a brief overview of the results of efforts made by you and the Offender to resolve the issue.
What I do is send a copy of correspondence to the Secretary:
Secretary Matt Cate CDCR
1515 S Street, Suite 502
Sacramento CA 95814
(916) 323-6001
FAX: (916)442-2637

And above all else, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT everything you do. Keep your son's letters where he tells you about things that are going on. Keep a log of phone calls you have made and received; date, time, who you talked to and a brief description of what was said. Keep copies of all the letters you send and if they are replied to - save those also. Whenever someone "changes their story", you can say, well, that's not what you told me on this date............ - it puts them in a position where you have the upper hand - and throws them off guard.

Some of us have been through this before and we try to help anyone who is going through it to make things easier.

Good Luck

Last edited by Madhatter; 12-27-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Mary

Thank you,
I have kept quite a file since this began.Name/dates/times/said/letters are dated and logged in ntbk/both to and from/phone calls too/who/time/date/said/many 3ntbks/3 file folders,copies etc.Sent Ken Hurdle letter/Waiting if acknowledged.Secretary will write Sunday.Sec.info already in notebook!
Thanx
Mary(roiz11)
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

HIPPA is the Federal legislation that protects the confidentiality of medical records. To avoid being sued by the patient, the patient has to sign a release. Institutions sometimes only recognize the release drafted by their own lawyers.

Quote:
OK!This is 3rd time,I'm thanking all of you and hope this one makes it.Ist one took me an hour to go through each of your different info/advice
I'll get the hang of this yet.Again all advise/info/contacts have written down!
All of you gave me something to chew on.If I can help anyone at all just ask
Medical papers taken care of.Homework will be looked into Sunday!What is HIPPA?
My little girl says"You guys rock" she's right!
Mary
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Mary

Thanks,Gryphon,
Hippa new I heard it somewhre but all the initials and #'s,sub-sections,titles
totally can't remember.So hippa is in my log bk,thanx.
I've been writing,calling,email,everything but pidgeon mail/pony express.My son taking care of all I gave him,that he can and I've got the rest out here.OMG,I've never heard such smooth lies ever.Yesterday I was told by a LT.for ad-seg he won.t hold my hand,My son a man so he has to take care of his problem.Lt says he got here by hisself,I did'nt put him here.If up to me ad-seg would have no reading material,writing
material,nothing!!! They all lie,don't tell me you son's telling the truth!Unknowenst to LT I have some pgs. of the 115 and 2 pictures of how badly he was hurt,So I didn't
hang up on this LT,I let him talk,well rant, and wrote all that he said and the time beginning the call and ending.He says I don't know your son nor do I ever want to,and so many other things.So sent letter asap and said to watch out for the lunatic.If anyone has anything,person,place that will keep my sons name out there and hopefully listen,we would be very grateful.I READ ALL THE CITIZEN COMPLAINT STUFF.I will do any and everything that I can and even can't do so my son gets every one of these wrongs righted.I'm looking into a free atty unless there is someone here that has atty knowledge or is an atty.
Mary(roiz11)
Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
OMG,I've never heard such smooth lies ever.Yesterday I was told by a LT.for ad-seg he won.t hold my hand,My son a man so he has to take care of his problem.Lt says he got here by hisself,I did'nt put him here.If up to me ad-seg would have no reading material,writing material,nothing!!! They all lie,don't tell me you son's telling the truth! Unknowenst to LT I have some pgs. of the 115 and 2 pictures of how badly he was hurt,So I didn't hang up on this LT,I let him talk,well rant, and wrote all that he said and the time beginning the call and ending. He says I don't know your son nor do I ever want to,and so many other things.

I had a counselor tell me just about the same thing a couple of months ago. She said "we don't have time to talk to every concerned mother", your son has to learn to take care of things himself. WRONG!!! Being a mother is a lifetime job. They grow up - they leave the nest - but they are always your child and you fight for them whether they are 6 or 60.

If bad attitudes were a crime - there would be a lot of CDCR employees in prison beside our loved ones. But for every "bad apple" there is a "peach" of a CO like our beloved Sgt. Anonymous. You just have to look harder to find the "peaches".

So sent letter asap and said to watch out for the lunatic.If anyone has anything,person,place that will keep my sons name out there and hopefully listen,we would be very grateful.
Just remember that all of your son's mail, both incoming and outgoing can be read........by the mail room.......by the CO's ........ etc. So you need to be careful about how you word things, or they can make things even rougher for your son.

I READ ALL THE CITIZEN COMPLAINT STUFF.I will do any and everything that I can and even can't do so my son gets every one of these wrongs righted.I'm looking into a free atty unless there is someone here that has atty knowledge or is an atty.Mary(roiz11)
Free attorney's, or attorneys who will take on this kind of a case on a contingency basis are few and far between. Most of the ones who do are swamped. I've been writing and calling attorneys for over a year trying to get someone to take on my son's case, and no one will. But Gryphon is another "peach". She is an attorney and gives us so much information on what we need to do and explains things we don't understand.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM

your son needs to file his own appeals, if you complain on his behalf and he is not doing his part by filing 602's then you are wasting your time. You certainly can help him, and be an advocate for him but the primary responsibility for him getting this straightened out will always be him. Prison law office http://prisonlaw.com/handbook.html has a very good handbook on filing appeals and on inmate rights, but if he has any contact with other inmates he will probably be able to find one who has some expertise in filing appeals. He may not be able to photo copy the 602's; my son couldn't so he would handwrite a copy and mail it to me so that I would have a record of it. 9 times out of 10 they 'lose' the 602 and I would have to mail him the copy that he sent me for safekeeping.

When you try to help, focus on the primary issue at hand, if you complain about too many things, then they will just dismiss you as being an overconcerned parent

By the way- you said he goes to committee on 12/29 for the 115, what was the outcome?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Mary

Don't know if he did go.It's been changed or put off a few times since the joke of a hearing on Dec.3rd 08.
Thanx for all advice and help and concerns,will always take any and all to heart.
You are all in my prayers,if ever I can answer anything just ask!
Mary(roiz11)