Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Any Female Inmates In Texas???

Hi Everyone...... I'm beginning to feel like a fifth wheel around here! There seems to be so little about female prisons and inmates.

My daughter is presently in the Woodman State Jail at Gatesville, Tx. She's serving a 6 year sentence for DWI. She is in Diagnostics for now.

Are there others out there that have female loved ones,or friends in the Texas Prison System? Information on the Womens Prisons?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 AM

Hi

I was at gatesville for 10 months in 2001, in the SAFP program. That is right across the street from Woodman. I know what you mean, the women seem to not get mentioned much. When I was there the guards told us that the men often had pretty good family/significant other support, but when the women went in they were often abandoned by their boyfriends/husbands or families. I know of only 2 or 3 ladies out of 268 that had a man that waited for them--a few did have parents who visited, but not too many. There was never a wait for visitation, and often empty tables when I was there.

KWolf
Old 01-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Me:Colorado; Wife:TDCJ

Default Some info for you about my experience with TDCJ and women's units

Momma2 How are you? I am married to a woman in the TDCJ system. She is in Gatesville, but at the Murray Unit. My sister was also in TDCJ, but that's a whole other thread. I visit her once a month from Detroit Michigan. I fly into DFW and drive to Gatesville from there. I do this about every four or five weeks. That's the longest I can stand to NOT see her. Sometimes I wish I could move to Texas only for the visitation. But because I do live as far as I do I can see her for eight hours when I do visit. We get special visits, four hours on Sat. and then another four hours on Sun. What KWolf said is true. There is rarely a wait at visitation and when that is the case there are many open tables for contact visits. It seems that the noncontact visitations are more common there. I have visited her at three different units, first, and where we met was the Mountain View Unit, then she caught a case and was kicked out of college and the unit and transferred to the Hobby unit in Marlin, I saw here there for about 4 months before she was finally shipped to the Murray unit because of a bone chip that is in her ankle area that doesn't allow for much activity, she has a few work restrictions because of that. Not to mention she has epilepsy also. She has siezures about once a month. She doesn't report them because of the hassle it is, so as far as the unit is concerned her epiliepsy doesn't exist. The last siezure, she had tried to report it but was thrown out of the medical office because there was nothing the nurse could do for her, yet she has to report these if they are to believe her. So she had her seizure in her cubical on the floor as usual. I was furious over this, but there is nothing they will do about it. She cannot report them because hshe gets thrown out of medical yet they don't exist unless she reports them a real catch 22. She went there trying to tell them she is going to have one so they yell at her and throw her out telling her to go back to her condo, what a joke. I have yet been able to talk to the Dr. Curtis that is on that unit. The warden will not speak to freeworld relatives at all. I have tried five times to meet her, as I have on the other units, but have been told she's not there, she's out to lunch what have you. When ever I call there she has her office lackies take the calls. My wife has only seen her once in the five months she's been there. and that was to take some Huntsville people around to show them where a woman committed suicide by hanging herself. Plus a woman just died there from a heart attack and was taken to the hospital too late. The inmates tried to get a CO to come help her but they took their sweet time getting there, byt this time the other inmates had been giving her CPR for about 5 minutes. It was learned she died of a massive heart attack and then a stroke shortly after. If your daughter is healthy, she will be fine. But tell her not to rely on the medical staff for anything. My sister died from the medical staff/UTMB neglect after a throat operation to band some varicies in her throat. She had hepC. She was on the Medical unit in Texas City, the Carol Young Unit. The biggest offense inside a womens unit is contraband fro visitation. This is what my wife tells me. I will be beside her the rest of her time. I am not of the same statistic that KWolf cited. We are very much in love and have just celebrated our one year annivesary Jan. 10. She isn't to be eligible for her first parole go until Dec. 2009. I have hired an attorney to file a writ of Habeas Corpus, the investigation should be done soon. If that works, then who knows when she might be out, but all we know for sure is when her parole eligibility is, and her max out date 2022. She got 25 years in 1997. I'll be with her the enire time!!! I need her as much as she needs me. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or continue this here. Good luck, let your daughter we all are here for her too. The PTO crew is the best bunch of people around. You'll see!!

Old 01-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Always Special in our heart..

Hi, My friend who is also a PTO member was just sentenced in December. I just received word from her mom that she will be going to Bryan. So I stopped by the Texas forum here, to find what information I could. Please do not feel like a fifth wheel! You never know when one will come and need your help or will be able to support you!
Old 01-17-2004, 05:31 PM

Pammie. is she going to the boot camp? I recall a whole thread about that not long ago.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:44 PM

wolf150 and GooseBumps...Thanks so much for your replies. I can certainly relate to all who have been to prison, or have loved ones there, but up to now there was so little information on the womans side of things. I grasp each piece of information, good or bad. For me, it's always easier to know, than not know, the conditions of my daughters incarceration. If need be, I can fight what I know, however I am helpless to fight those black fears.

Both of you mention the sparse visitation. How sad for these young ladies. I try to write my daughter, almost daily. I plan to visit at least once a month.

GSPack started a thread yesterday also. It's over in the Parents With Children Forum, entitled, "Moms with Daughters in Prison" I made a post there about my daughter if anyone would like to read it.

GooseBumps, I must commend you on your love and dedication to your girlfriend. I hope she knows what a lucky young lady she is. There are few in the world, who would travel from Michigan to Texas every 5 or 6 weeks to visit their girlfriend.

I'm so sorry about your girlfriends medical problems. This is so unexceptable! The next time you need to talk to her Warden ,I would advise you send him your questions by registered certified mail. This way the warden will have to sign for the letter herself. You will have proof you sent it. You should also keep a copy of the letter. Please advise your girlfriend to keep a copy of all her medical request slips. I have ask my daughter to send me all her papers about anything. I, in return, copy them and send her back the copy. The originals go in a file. I have also requested that she give me her power of attorny. I will have to send her the form and she will have to fill it out and I-60 a request for a notary. Then I can file it at the court house. I will then send a copy, by certified mail to her Warden, and the Austin Tdcj for her records. This is
the only way I can ever hope to get any medical information from her records. You, being no actual kin to her ,makes your efforts to help almost void. I haven't had to do any fighting yet, but I want to be prepared ,if or when, the time comes.
God Bless,
Old 01-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Always Special in our heart..

Yes, Kwolf ~ I sent that link to her mom tonight...it had a lot of good information in it!

Thanks!

Pammie
Old 01-18-2004, 05:52 AM

Momma2 I am kin, I am her husband. She has signed a release of medical information for me, but I like your idea here about how to get the med records in my hands also. Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-18-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Woodman State Jail Information

Again I thank all who have replied, Sorry GooseBumps, don't know how I missed that you were married. I have started a information file on the Texas
Womens Prisons. Your posts have already given me a lot more information than I had before.

I have only recieved one letter from my daughter, since she was transfered from county to Woodman State Jail for her diagnostics. The letter was one page, (front and back). I have gleened all the information I can from her letter, and will post it below for others.

Woodman State Jail
Gatesville, Texas
Diagnostics/ Orentation:

Arrived at facility with only a Bible and a few pictures.
Was issued a long white dress, white tennis shoes, panties,probably other things, like bras, but it wasn't mentioned.
Was housed in a tempoary place called, The Cage.
Moved to , "The Dog Pound Unit" This unit is upstairs,there are 4 to a cell, chain link is in front, cells are below. It's warm inside.
The inmates sit on their bunks several times a day for Roll count.
Stated,the orientation process felt like being in the military.
Inmates can now move around.
Inmates go outside to get to the chow hall. It's cold inside, as at times, one or two doors are left open. The food is good! Was served pancakes, and oatmeal for breakfast. Inmates must eat hurridly, about 5 min.
Medications are given outside. The inmates have a long wait in line.
Girls have been waiting a month for pants, and to go to the dorm.
Recieved indigent paper,envelopes, pen,and 2 stamps after 2 days.
Cannot go to commissary for 2 weeks.
Prices there are much lower than at County Jail.
Medical supplies were shipped.
States she will not have access to her Trust Fund for 2 to 4 weeks.
States she will need a alarm clock, for when she gets a job assignment. There are no wake up calls.
Will buy a lock to keep her things from being stolen.

Note: I called the Trust Fund office at Huntsville,Tx. Was told I could send a money order to the Trust Fund, without a deposit slip, (as they would know
my daughter had just been moved) A new account would be set up, and my daughter would have access to that money within 3 days.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Account Closed

Hi...just found this thread and wanted to let ya know that I wuz at Woodman State Jail in 2002!!! I had a State Jail felony and wuz put in the MTC program there at Woodman for six months!!! If ya have any questions or just wanna talk,pleaze feel free to PM me anytime!!! I am alwayz around!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 03:38 PM

Hi JoJo......Thanks......Can you give us a little more info on Woodman? How about a library? Do the inmates have access to one? Any problems with medical staff?
Was Octavious Black, the warden then? If so, can you tell us anything about her?
In gereral, (for a prison), how would you rate this unit? Can the girls wear make-up?
See.......its questions like this that we wonder about . About how many are in the Dorm?
Pretty Please

pretty
Old 01-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Account Closed

Hey...just got back online...O.K...let me see...the warden then wuz Black...I never saw her!!! The girls CAN wear make-up and also buy it on commissary,although it is a bit expensive but...alot of the girls will share. Actually,it wuz kinda weird for me as I had only been in county and we do not even have mirrors in county much less make-up!!! Some of the girls would spend an hour or so in the morning just putting on make-up and helping each other with hair. You can also buy sponge hair-rollers!!! Woodman is pretty well built with a very nice seperate school and library!!! We got to go to the library once a week and check out two books and also stay in there for about an hour and read magazines and newspapers!!! The dorms have 50 women...it is divided up---four beds to a cubicle with your own personal locker underneath!!! You do actually get to get out alot!!! There are two huge cafeterias and yeah...you only get about five minutes to eat so you learn to eat fast!!! The medical and dental is NOT that good!!! When I first got there I wuz on alot of meds but...eventually just went without all except the blood-pressure cuz it wuz too much of a hassle. You can go out to Rec.everyday...it is kinda a "courtyard"...usually play volleyball,basketball,weights or just walk or talk to others!!! The guards are alright...some really nice and some horrible but you learn fast and try to stay clear of the mean ones!!! The dorms have a bathroom area with about 5-6 sinks and stalls with curtains and then one big shower area that is divided up into six stalls. There is NO PRIVACY what so ever,except in the actual bathroom stalls which...well...you still might have someone right there beside you......As far as rating this unit...this is the only one that I have been on but...it is decent. I mean...I DON'T WANNA GO BACK OR ANYTHING...but...I would not worry. This is a transfer facility and your daughter may or may not stay there...I stayed because I wuz in the MTC program(drug/alcohol) so we had groups all day and stuff rather than a job. After the first two weeks,she will either get moved to another facility or may stay there and get a job...Hope this helps out some...

ANY MORE QUESTIONS???...lol!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:27 PM

I am sure that all the women's units in TDCJ allow them to wear makeup. The libraries are also on all the units, not huge, but they are there and they have access. Medical varies from unit to unit, but at best it's poor. They are treated as if they are all lying and just trying to get out of work. Take my wife's example of her attempt at going to the infirmary to report a seizure before it happened or as it was going to happen and did happen after she was chastized for even showing up at the infirmary to try to head a seizure off. The CO's won't even report things to medical if they can do anything to avoid that as was reported by a CO in the old TDCJ-ID bulletin board recently shut down. That tells you something right there.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:23 PM

JoJo....You're such a sweetie! You really made my day! Thanks for answering ALL my questions, and for your time and effort. Not only was I happy to get your input , but I'm sure others will find it helpful also.

GooseBumps...I can see where this medical problem with your wife is a bad and frustrating thing. I went to bed last night thinking of her. She is now on my prayer list.
My daughter also has medical problems, she had neck surgery, for disk repairs, about a year and a half ago, also a chiped tail bone. I fear before its over we'll have problems also. I'm searching for any help I can find, as I like to be prerared ahead of time. If I find anything that might be useful, I'll PM you.

KWolf...I sure would appriciate it if you could jump back on, and let us know more about Gatesville. I'm sure you have knowledge that others would appriciate having.

Pammiek....As you hear from your friend at Bryan, I would also love hearing about that unit. Even little things mean a lot to those who are totaly in the dark.

I appologise, for being late in this post. I wrote this post last night, then lost the whole thing!! Was tired,so went to bed.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:30 PM

Hey, Momma2

I will be more than happy to share anything I might know about Gatesville. I was processed into Gatesville over at Woodman, but instead of the obligatory stay in the dog pound, I was sent right over to Gatesville SAFP. Since this is a substance abuse treatment facility, they do not want anyone to be housed with people who might not be of a recovery mindset, thus the speedy transfer. However, as I said before, we were right across the street, ate the same food, etc. Please let me know or PM me if I can be of any help to you.

KWolf
Old 02-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Have a daughter in Bryan...will try to get more information but she has been in there since October 31 and so far has not made any complaint other than going through the painful withdrawel from the Internet. She is a web designer so spent most of her existence in front of the computer. She is working with computers in some way, makes a little bit (like 40 cents per hour) and it just about pays for her cigarettes. Thought maybe she would quit while there (maybe 4-5 years) In June she can start her college courses to get a good degree in the computer field.
She calls about once a week for a few minutes ($1.00 per minute) to just say Hi to her girl who is living with me. I can write her as much as I want, send articles, photos, etc. but otherwise it is only cash in her account. So she has to buy whatever she needs.
She has lost weight (she likes that) and I have a recent photo of her and she looks great--a pretty girl.
We are in Florida so won't be able to see her very often, that is a sad thing. She probably won't have many visitors since most of her friends would not be allowed to visit due to their backgrounds.
This site is a big help and if anyone else knows more about Bryan, I would love to hear.
Thank you for all the great posts... and in advance for more.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM

If she is earning money in prison she isn't in TDCJ, then. Maybe this needs to be re-posted in the correct state. Even though it's about women in prison it's primarily about Texas inmates. but nonetheless, you are in the right place for advice and a pat on the back everyonce in a while too. Try re-posting this in the state where your daughter is. The inmates in Texas do not get any wages for their work what so ever, but are forced to work. It's a captive slave labor pool for the state of Texas. I can't believe in this day and age Texas and it's people approve of this in humane treatment by voting in the narrow minded people into office.But the whole country is to blame for the George W presidential legacy, which I am praying gets the boot this year, but I doubt it, the democrats can't find another Bill Clinton to take the whiet house back. But this is a whole other website!!! LOL!!! Good luck and be there for your daughter she has no one else!!!

Old 02-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Thanked 9,606 Times in 5,440 Posts

With the reference to Bryan, I believe that will be an FCI facility located in Texas.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 PM

Hi Momcares....and welcome to PTO. Sorry you're so far away from your daughter.
That must be rough. Go to the top of this page and type in "Bryan, Tx." in the search box. You will find out some Bryan Info. I think your statement about pay and cigarettes is what threw us, My daughter is a TDCJ inmate, and they do not recieve one red cent for their work. They also are not allowed cigarettes. I ,personaly, am not familiar with the Federal System, but I can sure relate to you having a daughter
in the system!!
You'll find a wonderful group of people here at PTO, all willing to help you in any way.
God Bless,