Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Question How can a felon become a truck driver?

any idea how a felon can become a truck driver after release? any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
-loveslady

You come to love not by finding the perfect person but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
The best is yet to come

Nothing regulatory wise that would stop him. Probably have to get approval from PO if on paper still.. otherwise, should be nothing to stop him... unless of course he had it before and committed a felony while driving a commercial motor vehicle.. thats a whole different story
The Following User Says Thank You to waittill_08 For This Useful Post:
loveslady (11-13-2008)
Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Missin' my sexy man...

it depends on the school... whether they'll allow it... which they probably will.

The job itself depends on the company, many won't allow felonies under a certain time limit. I would say call around and inquire whether a hiring company will hire someone with a record.

"This Too Shall Pass"

The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle's Gurl For This Useful Post:
loveslady (11-13-2008)
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,016 Posts

I work for a trucking company. From what I know, we have no felons employeed, but I would say at least 30% of our drivers are on probation and we have no problem with that. A few are even in anger management classes and we accomodate them to take their classes.
If a driver is good and can do the job, we will hire them, regardless of their past (unless, of course they have a bad driving record). Granted, I work for a small, family owned company. They also know that hubby is in prison and if they ever did deny a person JUST because they had been in prison, they know darn well that I would fight for that person if they had a clean driving record and a good employment history and could do the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to patswife4-ever For This Useful Post:
loveslady (11-14-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 AM

my bf still has a couple years to go but truck driving is what he has his heart set on doing, im saving all i can to help send him to truck driving school. i just dont want him to finish and have no hope of getting a job. his crime is considered a violent crime but he works hard and honestly has a heart of gold. he just wants to better himself and i want to help him anyway i can.

You come to love not by finding the perfect person but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 AM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveslady View Post
my bf still has a couple years to go but truck driving is what he has his heart set on doing, im saving all i can to help send him to truck driving school. i just dont want him to finish and have no hope of getting a job. his crime is considered a violent crime but he works hard and honestly has a heart of gold. he just wants to better himself and i want to help him anyway i can.

Just an FYI for you. We get alot of phone calls from drivers who just finished school and want a job. Well, most insurance companies will not allow a driver to drive if they have less than 2-3 years experience.

I know that those truck driving schools help the drivers get jobs, but most of the time they are OTR (over the road) jobs, which means they travel out of state. If your b/f is on parole, he might have a hard time doing this. Just wanted to let you know. You might want to ask alot of questions from the school you are looking into.!!

Good Luck to you and your b/f!! Wish you both the best!!

Last edited by patswife4-ever; 11-14-2008 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to patswife4-ever For This Useful Post:
loveslady (11-14-2008)
Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

I have a felony conviction thats a 5yrs old. I graduated from trucking school it took me about 8months to find a job, bcuz of my felony. I'm currently workin OTR 8 months now, the problem is the company is slow,Im not getting any loads,and gettin alot of time off wish means no money. If any1 knows a small trucking,moving,owner operator,or mom n pop company thats willing to give me a chance plz respon my email is (email removed per policy. Please pm member for this information. Thanks) I have 8months veriable OTR exp. No Dui's,accident,or moving violation inthe past 3 yrs. I can drive pete,freightliner,Mack,and Intrn. Eagel. thnxs n god bless!!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
~Love Is NEVER A Mistake~

~My man was wokring for the garbage company before he went in(he has 2 strikes)~~~He was going to become a driver~~~I think it all just has to do with who you know~
Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Default It depends on what you are carrying, too

I'm pretty sure convicted felons can't haul stuff like hazardous waste. That's federal law. Probably gases and chemicals, too, including gasoline. A lot of this is from post-9/11 legislation.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Alferd Packer fan

Actually they can, Albee. It depends on the crime.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

I was thinking of this for my guy - I could go with him, ha-ha! I think someone needs to keep an eye on that boy........

That or a mechanic. I noticed at the dealership they all are covered in tats. The tats are another barrier to a job.

He doesn't need to make much. I have a decent income. But I'm not going to support him.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
10 year TDCJ survivor

I went to a local junior college's truck driving school, paid for it myself. I didn't think it would be difficult finding work behind the wheel. Boy was I wrong. No verifiable work history, recently released, and the background check is what prevented me from getting in a rig. I'm driving a 26' box truck and glad to have the job, but I would rather be traveling the countryside.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Muddycats For This Useful Post:
loveslady (12-19-2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Default CDL license

Hey how r u? i have a cdl license in florida and the only law/restriction is he cannot haul flammable liquids/.he/we also cannot work for airports/airlines or ship ports because we are deemed A THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY LOL.anyway hope it works out for your man.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
<-GE M-1000

The other fly in the ointment is whether the driver needs a Hazardous Material endorsement on his license. Since 9/11, the Federal government has placed a seven year time gap for persons with felony convictions to be able to get their HazMat endorsements. Some states, NY, in particular, require ten years from time of conviction. However, I would not discount companies that have straight frame (or B-class) trucks either. I have a felony conviction and I work for Graybar Electric Supply, which is an internationally known Fortune-500 company.
jjslady (03-05-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM

I am going to get my CDL's in March. Well my classes start then. I talked to the head instructor and she told me that it might be a waste of my time, but I could take the classes anyway. She said that she didn't know of any companies personally, but she did give me the number of a handful of companies to talk to. She told me to "just call and see, it's worth a shot". So, I did. I called all of the companies she gave me then I went to a web site called classadrivers, I found all of the companies that served my state and called them, each and everyone. Most said no, but so far two have said yes. I have a felony B&E&L conviction from about 6 yrs ago. I mean don't get me wrong, they could change their minds at the drop of a hat, but for right now it's giving me some hope, and if your like me any little bit of hope helps. So keep your heads up, keep diggin, and never, ever let em keep you down. Just like Clint Eastwood said in the movie "Heartbreak Ridge", "Dont' give the prick the satisfaction!" I have lived by that motto.

Last edited by topher81; 01-14-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

In TN one released can drive in state but not out of state, like for the farmers etc... I pray for good things to happen for you. God Bless. oh please NO ONE forget that gov grants ARE available to felons. ---- Don't get me started again on the FACT that this country was BUILT by convicts, the Pilgrims all died within 10 - 15 years after coming to this HARSH New World, and it is their (the convicts) descendents that have been running the place ever since. They just chose to forget / re-write history to suit their desires.

Last edited by NotherWife2; 01-14-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Smile felon to truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveslady View Post
any idea how a felon can become a truck driver after release? any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
-loveslady
A felon can become a truck driver; first obtain liscense through a course, expensive, or You can go to any DPS office request commercial motor vehicle drivers handbook, take all test qualified for, minus hasmat because of TSA regulations. After passing you will be given a class A permit. Find a local company that will take you out driving on a automatic single axle with trailer....(easy driving) usualy they charge $150-350 dollars. When ready return to the DPS office with the use of the single axle you trained in, and take the test. Some companies have automatic commercial vehicles, you will have no problem driving. If you need a job fast and cannot find a company that will hire you. Get your own truck..(automatic) your own authority, insurance, (cargo and liability) find your own loads via internet, sell your DBA self and under bid other operators, factor your billing and your on your way making income.

Last edited by exRNturntrucker; 03-24-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: miss spelled word
The Following User Says Thank You to exRNturntrucker For This Useful Post:
Chynab (03-24-2009)