Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Carswell Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Carswell Federal Prisons Topics & Discussions relating to Carswell Federal Prison Camp and Carswell Federal Medical Center located on the Carswell Air Force Base at Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 AM
gardener

Arrow Carswell Information

wave.gif

to send regular USPS mail and USPS parcels,

if the inmate is in the Medical Center:

INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FMC CARSWELL
FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER
PO BOX 27137
FORT WORTH TX 76127

if the inmate is at the Camp:

INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FMC CARSWELL
SATELLITE CAMP
PO BOX 27137
FORT WORTH TX 76127

to send and receive email is possible. it costs five cents a minute.

an inmate can take money with them if they are self surrendering. otherwise the BOP will not accept money on the books until an inmate is actually in custody at the facility; so no sending in money ahead of time.

To send money to an inmate, go here for information:
http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp

Quote:
Quote:
How much money can you bring in with you? Cash or money order? If I bring money with me - will they go ahead and set up my account the first day?
You can bring as much money as you want. You can only spend up to $290.00 per month. As with many things, there are differences of opinions here regarding cash or money order. Some have said that they received credit for less cash than they brought. The officer that processed me in here counted my money in front of me and gave me a hand written receipt. I didn't have any problems.

scarecrow-smiley-030.gif

Depending on how quickly your money posts is when you can go the the commissary. Usually within two days. You are allowed to shop one day a week. That day is assigned by your number. When you are new you can go on any day that first week. You can only go one day a week though.
If you are self surrendering, you can bring
  1. money, either cash or postal money order
  2. empty pill bottles to show what you are taking
  3. a soft cover Bible
  4. a plain Wedding Band
  5. a religious necklace
  6. a watch
  7. a pair of earrings smaller than a quarter
You can bring your own eyeglasses and you can bring a case. There is an eye doctor, but you wait months to see him. Then it takes a long time to get your glasses.

all of these without stones and jewelry must have a value less than $100.00 per piece.

The religious medallion is acceptable only if on a chain, so your rosary may be alright, but if it has significant monetary or emotional value, you may want to leave it at home, since there won't be anywhere that is absolutely secure to keep it.

You could engrave your watch if you want. It is not required. It IS the only way you'll get it back if it is stolen.

Any questions it is better to call the place where you are going to self-surrender and ask them (like the US Marshall). but each place can have their own rules. I would suggest calling more than once. I called twice and received two different answers but still they were both different than the answer I got when I got there.

willy_nilly.gif
Quote:
When my wife self-surrendered, I did not hear from her until the next day when her counselor was courteous enough to allow her to call from his office and let me know she was ok. It takes about a week to set up their account with the BOP for you to be able to send money and get approvals to make calls. Write her a letter and she will hopefully do the same until she is able to call.

my wifes counsler let her call the next day and it took about a week before she was finally able to call and about 2 to 3 weeks before she could email. That was at the camp.

It may take a couple of days. Generally the Chaplin allows one call home to let the family know they are fine. After that your daughter will have to purchase phone minutes. Does she have money on her books?? And it may depend on what day she is set for her commissary to get the things she needs to get started. When my mom went in she didnt get to call home for 7 days.. and it was a long 7 days. Her counselor was on vacation and couldnt get her phone list approved.
What is the allotment for telephone time?

you are allowed 300 minutes a month except for November and December, you get 400 minutes. Each call is 15 minutes maximum and then you have a 30 minute wait until you can call again. You can see how many minutes are left on your account by dialing 118 and choosing that option. You will be issued a PAC code that you will use for the phone and e-mail.

The phones are open when the compound is open. (Approximately 6:00 am - 11:45 pm Mon - Thur and 7:00 am - 1:45 am Fri and Sat) They will close down during headcount times for about an hour, at about 4:00 pm, 9:30 pm and 12:00. You do not get much warning when count happens so your call may get cut short.

Are the visiting hours Friday-Monday? What are the hours? I want to make sure that I have up to date information to pass on to friends and family.

subject to change>>Friday and Monday 5-9, Saturday and Sunday 8-3

You can stay all day but the prison will not feed you during visitation and the visitors cannot bring anything in either. there are vending machines.

a thread about what to expect when visiting in Carswell:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7124

purple flying dude.gif

What can visitors wear/how to get approved/official visiting regulations:
http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei=...icp=1&.intl=us

visitors must get approved BUT they can get a temporary approval:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230547

Where to go for your visit and contact info for the Carswell prison in case you need to ask questions:
http://www.bop.gov/DataSource/execut...cilityCode=crw

smiley lowrider.gif

map to the area and list of local business':
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...BmCRIXB5XBguFO

long list of motels in that zipcode:
http://local.yahoo.com/results?p=mot...=fort+worth+tx

For help on figuring out how long an inmate will serve on their sentence:
http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/s...mputations.jsp

other BOP policies and forms:
http://www.bop.gov/policy/index.jsp

doin groupo99.gif

for further PT discussion about the above issues or other general (non-Carswell) federal prison issues excluding mail, go here:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=186

ur doing good. hang in there.

Of the 27 BOP facilities that currently house female inmates, all have mixed populations except for the "Big Six" – Alderson, Bryan, Carswell, Danbury, Dublin, and Tallahassee (although Dublin and Tallahassee each have a small male detention unit).

to get transferred:
Quote:
specific information about why a particular inmate was sent, or will be sent, to a certain facility, is not public information. This information may only be obtained by submitting a written request with an original authorization form signed by the inmate.
any request for transfer must originate with an inmate's Unit Team. The DSCC evaluates referrals submitted by institution staf. Inmates are encouraged to work closely with members of their institution Unit Team to determine if transfer to a facility closer to their release residence may be possible.
The Federal Medical Center (FMC) Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas is a Federal Bureau of Prisons facility that provides specialized medical and mental health services to female offenders. FMC Carswell is located in the northeast corner of Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Abse Fort Worth, and houses approximately 1,400 inmates. The facility is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accredidation of Healthcare Organisations and the American Correctional Association.

Quote:
The Carswell Medical Center is an old motel 6 that they have converted it looks more like an apartment complex. There are 4-5 women to a room and yes bunkbeds, but you do have a bathroom in your room so no group showers. I stayed in what we called the high rise. It has 4 named units, 1 south, 1 north, 2 south and 2 north. There are 64 rooms plus 2 bus stops on each unit. The rooms are 8 X 10 and have 2 sets of bunk beds in each. 4 lockers and a small table. There are no doors.
The prison has undergone various changes since 1995: the parking lot formerly situated at the south end has been moved to the northwest end, which is overlooked by a large water-tower standing just outside the razor wire perimeter. A running track and a baseball field surrounded by trees have been constructed at the southwest corner. The main facility itself is a large structure of interconnecting buildings, typical of a hospital complex.

The prison is surrounded by two separate fences with a gap of approximately 20 feet (6.1 m) between them. Measuring approximately 20 feet (6.1 m) high, each chain link fence is reinforced with multiple coils of long-barb razor wire fixed at the top and bottom.

willy_nilly.gif

The prison's main entrance is on the northwest end, and there is a second entrance on the south end, which contains a guard post and two gates. Finally, there is a third entrance in the north which contains two gates. Outside the razor-wire perimeter in the south are two large buildings which are either warehouses or vehicle storage areas.

Security systems include door control, telephone, LAN radio, intercom/paging, video surveillance, nurse call, intrusion detection, perimeter security and master-antenna-television.

Although most inmates at this facility have some form of medical condition requiring treatment, there is also a general population of inmates at FMC Carswell who do not.

Health promotion in the BOP is emphasized through counseling provided during examinations, education about the effects of medications, infectious disease prevention and education, and chronic care clinics for conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and hypertension. The Bureau promotes environmental health for staff and inmates alike through its emphasis on a clean-air environment and the maintenance of safe conditions in inmate living and work areas. The Bureau’s food service program emphasizes heart-healthy diets, nutrition education, and dietary counseling in conjunction with certain medical treatment.

When you get to Carswell you will see a PA and he will prescribe your meds except for narcotics. You will have to see the doctor for that. Some people see them in a timely manner but I was there 5 months before I saw the doctor.

Quote:
How is medicine administered? Do you keep your meds with your things or does a nurse give them to you?

Your medicine is given to you to keep locked in your locker. Psych meds and a few others are given to you in the pill line only.
Quote:
I am also a insulin dependent diabetic. Will I give my own shots? What about checking my sugar levels?

If you are on insulin you do give yourself your own shot during pill line. Pill line is also where you check your blood sugar levels.
Quote:
What about illness? Do they supply cold medicine or does it have to be purchased?

de meant.gif

If you are sick then you put in a Sick Call Slip before 7:30 a.m. and if you are lucky you can see the PA (Physcians Assistant) within a couple of days. If you need a prescription he/she will order it for you.
She has cancer and was transferred to Carswell FMC a little over a week ago (8 days to be exact), and has yet to be seen by a doctor.

I'd call the regional office and explain the situation to them.
The ph# 214-224-3389.

Your best bet is keep calling regional. The head person of medical is in main line most of the time. I forgot his name, but he will try to fix things. I had breast cancer and it took 5 months before I saw a doctor. I believe his name is Dr. Reyes.

You should contact the Co-Director of FedCURE, Kenny Linn, by email. Provide him with her name, institution #, location and what the problem is. FedCURE has a direct line to a medical liaison within the BOP Central Office and Kenny has been great at getting federal inmates medical care - especially in dire cases.

you can get a hole of her unit manager or even call the warden phone # 817-782-4000

>>
CONTACT information for the Carswell facility personnel is here; their mailing address is different from the inmate mail address:
http://www.bop.gov/DataSource/execut...cilityCode=crw
>>
Quote:
about pregnancy~

The BOP offers a community residential program called Mothers and Infants Nurturing Together (MINT) for women who are pregnant at the time of commitment. The MINT program is a RRC-based residential program that promotes bonding and parenting skills for low-risk female inmates who are pregnant. Women are eligible to enter the program if they are in their last three months of pregnancy, have less than five years remaining to serve on their sentence, and are eligible for furlough. The inmate or a guardian must assume financial responsibility for the child’s medical care while residing at MINT. The mother then has three months to bond with the newborn child before returning to an institution to complete her sentence. In select MINT programs, the inmate may stay for an additional period of bonding with the child.

Inmates in this program participate in pre-natal and post-natal programs such as childbirth, parenting, and coping skills classes. In addition to services specifically related to parenting, MINT sites also offer chemical dependency treatment, physical and sexual abuse counseling, budgeting classes, and vocational and educational programs. Prior to the birth, the mother must make arrangements for a custodian to take care of the child. Institution staff, MINT staff, and community social service agencies may aid the inmate with placement. Ultimately, it is at the discretion of the inmate’s unit team to refer an inmate to the MINT program.
Are there classes to pursue a college degree?

Yes, college classes are offered. Or you can signup to outside correspondence courses. or UNICOR will work you as a 411 operator. or you can also get certified in cosmotology, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical or a dental assistant.
...they offer all kinds of sports such as softball, volleyball, football. soccer, horseshoes, darts, frisbee, basketball, bowling, etc. Indoor and outdoor recreation: walking track, exercise machines, arts and crafts, board games, ace classes...

What is the RDAP program and is it for someone like myself who only has 6 months there? RDAP is a 9 month program so you probably won't even qualify. There is a 40 hour drug class that you can take.

Do you do your own laundry?

Yes, you do your own laundry. Again let me point out that the information that I am giving you is for this camp.
wht camp?

domo-kun.gif

How do you keep items from being stolen?

You can help keep items from being stolen by buying a lock from the commissary for your locker. Do not leave anything out.

Quote:
There are 3 TV rooms per building. 6 TVs for over 200 women. You can watch TV anytime that the compound is open and as long as the TV room isn't closed for cleaning.
Quote:
Meal times here are:

Monday thru Friday: Breakfast 6:00 a.m., Lunch 11:00 a.m., Dinner, after count clears usually around 5:00 p.m..

Saturday and Sunday: Breakfast 7:00 a.m., Lunch after 10:00 a.m. headcount, usually around 11:00 a.m. Dinner around 5:00 p.m.
Are there snacks between meals or is it up to us to buy it from the commissary?

There are not snacks offered unless you are ordered a diabetic snack. You can take one piece of fruit from your meal back to your room to eat later. Anything else you buy from the commissary.

Quote:
The commissary at the Carswell camp does have yarn ($2.50 per skein), although the colors are somewhat limited. Yarn can also be ordered through a SPO (Special Purchase Order) through the Rec department and takes about 6-8 weeks to get. You have to have money on your commissary account to cover the cost and it's tied up for the same amount of time. There are no crochet books, so sending them is fine - limit of 3 per envelope, and women love to get them. You can also send in the free pattern sheets from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart, etc. Those can be mailed in an envelope with a letter.
Paperback books are fine as long as they are not in a cardboard box - that's considered a "package" and authorization has to be on file. If you put them in a Priority Mail envelope or manilla envelope, they'll get there just fine. Limit on those - 3 per mailing. Hardback books have to come from a bookstore or publisher. On a more humorous note, anything sent Priority or in a big envelope is prized because the mail staff takes it out of the packaging and puts it INTO a large Ziplock bag, and women LOVE those bags because you can't get them any other way. Silly, huh?!

>>>always remember that we will be here waiting for you when you get out! pinwheelnaner.gif

Last edited by CakesThe Baker; 10-11-2008 at 10:47 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CakesThe Baker For This Useful Post:
chrisgirl32 (03-11-2013), Lupe Casarez (11-08-2008), luvmyjack (10-22-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I will Bless the Lord

How are hair supplies? Does Carswell commissary sell relaxers, curls, curling irons, shampoo, conditioner for the hair? My mom is african american and will need to have her hair done while she is there.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
gardener

Smile

I have not been able to get a commissary list yet. but I am guessing they will have a hair salon where she might get a chance for using relaxer. A curling iron<no i doubt that is going to happen every day. curlers, yes maybe. homemade, certainly. the rest, it's hard to say about exactly which brands or such will be there but shampoo, conditioner and gel i am guessing you might have a couple types to choose from.

good idea is to call or email them and ask questions:

Phone: 817-782-4000
Fax: 817-782-4875
E-mail address: CRW/EXECASSISTANT@BOP.GOV
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycage View Post
How are hair supplies? Does Carswell commissary sell relaxers, curls, curling irons, shampoo, conditioner for the hair? My mom is african american and will need to have her hair done while she is there.

The hospital side commissary does sell hair products for African American women. Also the guard has a hot iron (I think that's what it's called) or a hot comb that women can borrow with their ID.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donethat03 View Post
The hospital side commissary does sell hair products for African American women. Also the guard has a hot iron (I think that's what it's called) or a hot comb that women can borrow with their ID.

She can also get it done in the Cosmotology department for free but she will have to buy her own shampoo, color or perm.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I will Bless the Lord

They have a cosmetology dept at the prison? That is great!!! I wonder if she would be able to take cosmetology classes while there?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Yes, the cosmotology class is available for a fee. If I'm not mistaken it like $250. I'm not real sure but I know it was really cheap like that. It's an 18 month course and you can get certified when you go home.

Quote:
They have a cosmetology dept at the prison? That is great!!! I wonder if she would be able to take cosmetology classes while there?
The Following User Says Thank You to donethat03 For This Useful Post:
clueless123 (02-19-2010)
Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
gardener

can you tell us how the email works?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I will Bless the Lord

How big are the lockers there? Can you wear the clothes you buy in commissary or do you have to wear the prison clothes? At visiting time can the inmates eat with the visitors, I know the visitors have to buy the food from vending machines but can the inmates eat and drink what they want from the vending machine as well?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
gardener

Smile

The inmates can eat vending food too. idk about the other questions except that often at prisons you must wear the prison garb on top and the other things underneath.

Last edited by CakesThe Baker; 10-24-2008 at 01:39 AM..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesThe Baker View Post
can you tell us how the email works?

Within the first week you will be assigned a PAC number which you will use for the phone and e-mail. You log into e-mail with your inmate number and PAC and you will then have the option to buy minutes. The least minutes you can buy is $2.00. Then you enter your e-mail addresses along with the receivers name and address. The system then sends out an e-mail to that person and they have to reply to it and acknowledge that they are corresponding with a federal inmate. After they accept it you can e-mail back and forth. Remember that all correspondence is monitored...mail, e-mail, and phone calls.
CakesThe Baker (10-28-2008)
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
How big are the lockers there? Can you wear the clothes you buy in commissary or do you have to wear the prison clothes? At visiting time can the inmates eat with the visitors, I know the visitors have to buy the food from vending machines but can the inmates eat and drink what they want from the vending machine as well?
The lockers are approx 3X2. No you cannot wear anything to visitation except your dress uniform. You can wear a t-shirt under your dress shirt and you must wear regular shoes. When you get to visitation the guard checks everything you are wearing, such as what kind of shoes, watch, earrings, necklace, wedding ring, hair clips and when you leave you are strip searched and matched up to the things you wore in. Yes, you and the inmate eats and drinks anything from the vending machines but the inmate is out of bounds at the vending machines. The vending machines empty out fast so if there is a sandwich or pizza you may want just go ahead and buy it and you can warm it in the microwave when you are ready to eat it. The inmates look forward to visits and vending machine food. There is also a play room for visiting children and the inmate can go in there and play games with the kids. They can also go into the TV room and put on a movie and watch with visitors. You can go outside in a fenced in yard if it's not dark outside. There are a few picnic tables out there. The inmate can also buy photo tickets from commissary and take photos with their visitors. I personally didn't want any memory of that place and my 6 month old grandson died 5 days after visiting me, so think about some pics.

Last edited by donethat03; 10-28-2008 at 05:29 PM..
CakesThe Baker (10-28-2008)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
gardener

pix are we have left of our babies as well and sad as it is, having none would be sadder, so we second ur recommendation.

Some of those details you gave are priceless dude. good work.

Last edited by CakesThe Baker; 10-28-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Self Surrender to Carswell on Sept 25

Cakebaker you have a lot of advice could I ask you a few more things.
The Following User Says Thank You to emilyread For This Useful Post:
CakesThe Baker (09-16-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
gardener

i will try
Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donethat03 View Post
Yes, the cosmotology class is available for a fee. If I'm not mistaken it like $250. I'm not real sure but I know it was really cheap like that. It's an 18 month course and you can get certified when you go home.
When do you take these courses?? Don't you have to work??
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM

i have a question on calls.. is there a phone company that i can get a prepaid account so that she can call me? or how does that all work? my wife just got sent there and she's called me collect but i want to get a prepaid account so that the calls can be cheaper.. i would really appreciate it if someone helps me with this situation.. thanks and god bless!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Default Hi Jerryvjr11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryvjr11 View Post
i have a question on calls.. is there a phone company that i can get a prepaid account so that she can call me? or how does that all work? my wife just got sent there and she's called me collect but i want to get a prepaid account so that the calls can be cheaper.. i would really appreciate it if someone helps me with this situation.. thanks and god bless!
There are no phone plans you can get while in Federal Prison. You can send your wife money and she can transfere money to her phone account. For local calls the fee is .6cents and .23 for non-local calls. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I left Carswell in April 2009.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Do they have any musical instruments to play at Carswell camp?

Last edited by jewels73; 01-24-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Attended a panel discussion a couple of weeks ago that had a BOP official named "Anne" from a women's facility in Minnesota. She said that the entire BOP will be removing inmate access washers and dryers over time -- that all laundry will then be done by the facility's laundry.

She also claimed that prisoners tell her every day how fabulous the food is. I asked how that was possible, given a budget of $2.79 per day per prisoner. She had no reply.

She was not thrilled when I brought up the subject of medical malpractice and a culture of employee sexual assault of women incarcerated at Carswell. She tried saying that most of the sexual assault was consensual -- she actually used that word. Seeing my reaction, she tried to backtrack but it was clear that her initial claim was her honest opinion. Obviously she's unaware of the difference between consent and assent sans power enough to give the assent weight enough to make legal consent -- something that de facto cannot occur between prison official and inmate so much so that international law terms all prison employee/inmate sexual contact torture. As a sexual assault survivor facing probably incarceration at Carswell, I literally wanted to vomit.

Regarding the rampant medical abuse and neglect at Carswell, she gave the standard line that they were accredited and adhered to community standards. I asked in what community in America is it an acceptable standard not to x-ray broken limbs for up to a month or refuse to treat cancer and allow it to fatally metastasize, where was it okay to not properly medicate diabetes, or ignore someone hanging themselves then try to cover it up by asking the doctor to falsify the medical record?

I could've gone on but was cut off by the probation officer in charge. I'm a lobbyist and organizer and used to being honest and confronting things that are wrong. It's called being out on the line. It's a deeply ingrained part of my character. I don't think I will manage to be silent for 34 months (and that's with good time intact) if I find what my research says I will find.

The prison industrial complex issues alone are already giving my inner Norma Rae fits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marla&Phyllis For This Useful Post:
MarlaRStevens (08-04-2014)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 PM

I'm Robin and have just been sentenced to seven months they say say they are evaluating me foe a medical facility and it might be here. My husband just had heart surgury so my lawyer ask to self surrender around first of April.Ihave Rsd and Copd. They are supposed to let me know if Iqualify for medical facility and where and when to go. My lawyer thinks it might be here. Never been in trouble before so I been reading all the info on this place in Texas the baker talks about. If you put money on account does it carry over. Differnt. Members of my family have said that may send to help with email phone cards things I need etc..and can u keep check of your balance.anything else I need to know advise me..
IM 46 use a caneandwalker canibring that havec pap machine and leg machine foe swelling for the red?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Sorry my spelling got bad. Have c pap machine for copd, leg machine for swelling for the rsd and a tinge unit with remote, what about bringing that stuff
Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Can you make calls using your phone card to cell phones
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Hello - I am still waiting for my designation but was told by the Marshals that it was referred for medical review, so I may be going to Carswell instead of a Camp. I do not have any chronic medical issues but am taking Zolft for MH reasons. Do you know if this would require I go to the medical facility? Or is it possible that I would be going to the Camp there? I know no one has a definitive answer, but could you give me insight based on your experiences?
Also, most camps allow 5 books to be sent at one time, but I read on this that Carswell only allows 3 and must be in an envelope? Could domeone clarify this for me? I want to package and mail some books before I leave (probably in June).
Thanks for any info you can provide and for the above post, which was VERY helpful!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM

hey guys...just been reading all this and this is helpful...

my girl will be going into "the hole" question.....whilst shes in the hole, can i send her funds, or do i need to send her funds before she goes in??

(fmc carswell facility shes at)

Last edited by chrisgirl32; 03-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: location