Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SCI-Cambridge Springs

SCI-Cambridge Springs
451 Fullerton Road
Cambridge Springs, PA 16403-1238
(814)398-5400

SCI Cambridge Springs (Crawford County), opened in 1992, was formerly the Polish National Alliance College before being purchased by the Commonwealth in 1990. The campus was converted into a minimum-security facility for women, the majority of whom are nearing their release from prison.

Key Staff

Rhoda A. Winstead, Superintendent

Nancy Giroux, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Martin Aubel, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Tammy Turner, Business Manager

Michelle Wagner, Superintendent's Assistant

Last edited by bethbupp; 04-03-2006 at 04:26 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 PM

My Dad attended Alliance College there. Sure was a better use for the place!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Could you please just give me with some general info to what i will be looking towards being there.
As are you able to have TV, must you buy it there?
Are you able to bring any personal belongings, effects from home, such as personal skin care if recommended from dermatologist for very hyo- sensitive skin, sunscreens of that nature when outside, are you ever outside?
Can you take college courses?
May you bring your own Bible, books, or have them sent to you from Amazon.com?
Or must you buy everthing from there, and are the prices of TV's high for what you get?
And the type of quality of products low?
Can you have a robe if you are kind that is cold or just likes to feel comforted?

I know I am being incarcerated, not sent to a spa, believe me my life was far from a dayspa, but I am just so wondering and had to ask, have to know.

Can you please tell me?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Are you sure you are going to CS? There is another woman's prison in PA called Muncy.
Either way, you must buy the TV that is available from the prison--most prisons in PA have cable and you must pay for that, too. TV are see-thru and have headphone jacks for noise control.
You will need to purchase almost everything from the prison commissary including toiletries and underwear, etc.... Your loved ones can have books sent via Amazon or B/N--but they must come directly from them [not your family] or what is called "source of sale."
My understanding is that you cannot bring anything with you except maybe a bible.

There are various programs available at most of prisons but usually have waiting lists [you should sign up anyway asap].

College courses via correspondence is on your dime. There are a few legitimate programs available--Check out Ohio University http://www.cats.ohiou.edu/adultlearning/incarc.htm

Hope this is helpful and wish you well...

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Nothing is ever certain, that is one thing I do know.
All I can go on is what was discuss at plea sentencing.

I was planning on at least taking some classes, I was always changing majors, so many credits, certificates, etc. but never anything completed.
Part of my MI.

Information was helpful, I know there will be much more I will find out when there.
Thank you for letting me know which college is best to check into and replying to my post.
If you would have any more info you would find useful for me, please feel free to contact me.

I would really appreciate any and all.

Last edited by FrannyNZooey; 06-04-2007 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM

There does not seem to be much matter of fact info from personal level on this site.

What was told on "Heading to Cambridge Springs" thread seem to be very much a comparison to Muncy, but without actual data back up.

I feel more confuse than when I came on here.

And do not quite understand why there would even be a comparison of prisons when inmates upon arriving, and it seems perhaps whole time may have no say.

So why worry families and friends so to where their loved ones are, when they have not really any control over situation?
Sounds cruel to me, not helpful, and fact that no one else is saying anything, how do we know?

I was told by man while hospitalized, that his daughter was in Muncy, and there was such stir of rapes done by guards towards the female inmates.
The daughter was in pure terror.
Anyone being forced to have unconsentual sex, that is rape.

And I feel greater damage is done when done by a person in authority, that is abuse of power also, so double damage.

And no one can how was it put, "convert you to be a lesbian", that would be a choice only you could make.

They could rape, attack you, the same as a male to a woman.
The point lies in was it consensual or non-consensual?

I was so caught off by such a homophobic statement.

Please go to that thread, and read and post truthfully how you feel.
I can not believe you could all believe in such propaganda.

Last edited by FrannyNZooey; 06-05-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM

I have been out of cambridge for 3 years. Like the saying goes, "no matter where you go there you are". The hardest part of doing time was the separation from my children and gma and dogs. The thing with that is I had to let go of the outside world knowing there was nothing I could do to help except make those 15 minute calls. I learned to listen to them in those 15 minutes then forget them until the next call. words of wisdom you either do the time or let the time do you. It took me about 6 months before I stopped letting the time do me and I started doing the time. Just like anywhere else in the world there are good behaviours and then there are bad. If you had a big mouth in the real world then you probably had one in jail which is not a good thing. If you are respectful in the real world then you are respectful in jail, that''s a good thing as long as you can hold your own when someone calls you out. Stand your ground be yourself or better yet better yourself. Being raped or abused in jail you were either in the wrong place at the wrong time or you were trying to get over with an agenda of your own. Prison is what you make it. I have seen women confuse friendship and love with a physical gratification. That's on you. Personally I was not gay for the stay and straight at the gate. I remained true to myself. Prison for me was the vacation I was asking God about remember be careful what you ask for you just might get it. Although pretty unappreciative at the time, I truly am grateful for the time I had to work on all the unresolved issues of life that got me there to begin with. I started writing this to answer some questions about what you could and could not have going through the gate, can have wedding band as long as there are no stones, a religous medallion with chain, a soft cover bible and that's about all folks. Everything else you buy with the 80% of money the leave on your books. Yes, they do take their 20 for costs and fines from the door unless you have a court document stating otherwise. The food was terrible so plan on commissary for most of your stay unless of course they got a new kitchen staff and warden. Most jobs there will try to break your back. There are activities and educational opportunities and drug and alcohol therapies, but don't fake it till you make it, that just doesn't work. Either do the work to correct yourself or let someone else have the chance for empowerment. And when you get out as a violent offender don't expect employment opportunities to knock down your door. I've near broke my back these last 3 years on parole working like a man because no one wants a violent felonious offender in their offices or wharehouses. And yes relationships are the number one reason why people relapse and end up as a recidivism statistic. Only by the grace of God there I go. Learn how to play pinnochle with the big girls it passes a lot of time and relieves some stress. Read, read, read...I know of prisoners who could walk out of prison today and pass any test to be a doctor, psych, accoutant, lawyer, Knowledge is the KEY. Every female goes to Muncy to process and diagnos and determine you level of risk, then you either stay there or go to cambridge. I guess thats enough for now. If you want more info
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Donation Award 

O/T but I went to junior high at Alliance College for 3 years right before it converted to a prison. My religious school rented out one of the buildings and then we had to move when it was bought.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Looking for a former

I am looking for a former inmate. She was sick and I want to know what has happened to her. Her name is Lori Townley. She was in Cambridge Springs with me in 2004. Please let me know if you know anything.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Default I was at Cambridge if you have questions

Released 6/09 after a 2 yr stay. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Default wondering

Did you know Tina Knoble during your stay? She is a close friend of mine, and I talk to her through letters, just wanted to know how she was doing from someone else
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG2132 View Post
I have been out of cambridge for 3 years. Like the saying goes, "no matter where you go there you are". The hardest part of doing time was the separation from my children and gma and dogs. The thing with that is I had to let go of the outside world knowing there was nothing I could do to help except make those 15 minute calls. I learned to listen to them in those 15 minutes then forget them until the next call. words of wisdom you either do the time or let the time do you. It took me about 6 months before I stopped letting the time do me and I started doing the time. Just like anywhere else in the world there are good behaviours and then there are bad. If you had a big mouth in the real world then you probably had one in jail which is not a good thing. If you are respectful in the real world then you are respectful in jail, that''s a good thing as long as you can hold your own when someone calls you out. Stand your ground be yourself or better yet better yourself. Being raped or abused in jail you were either in the wrong place at the wrong time or you were trying to get over with an agenda of your own. Prison is what you make it. I have seen women confuse friendship and love with a physical gratification. That's on you. Personally I was not gay for the stay and straight at the gate. I remained true to myself. Prison for me was the vacation I was asking God about remember be careful what you ask for you just might get it. Although pretty unappreciative at the time, I truly am grateful for the time I had to work on all the unresolved issues of life that got me there to begin with. I started writing this to answer some questions about what you could and could not have going through the gate, can have wedding band as long as there are no stones, a religous medallion with chain, a soft cover bible and that's about all folks. Everything else you buy with the 80% of money the leave on your books. Yes, they do take their 20 for costs and fines from the door unless you have a court document stating otherwise. The food was terrible so plan on commissary for most of your stay unless of course they got a new kitchen staff and warden. Most jobs there will try to break your back. There are activities and educational opportunities and drug and alcohol therapies, but don't fake it till you make it, that just doesn't work. Either do the work to correct yourself or let someone else have the chance for empowerment. And when you get out as a violent offender don't expect employment opportunities to knock down your door. I've near broke my back these last 3 years on parole working like a man because no one wants a violent felonious offender in their offices or wharehouses. And yes relationships are the number one reason why people relapse and end up as a recidivism statistic. Only by the grace of God there I go. Learn how to play pinnochle with the big girls it passes a lot of time and relieves some stress. Read, read, read...I know of prisoners who could walk out of prison today and pass any test to be a doctor, psych, accoutant, lawyer, Knowledge is the KEY. Every female goes to Muncy to process and diagnos and determine you level of risk, then you either stay there or go to cambridge. I guess thats enough for now. If you want more info
Damn OG, you look the words right from my mouth. Nicely wrote!