Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Rheeta Rheeta is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 5
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question How To Complain - On Behaft Of A Prisoner

I have a penpal who has a hard time beeing in a state prison in California. He want's me to help him complain on his behalf. He want's to be placed in the custody of federal prison authorities. And until that happens be placed in a singel cell.

I have no idea how i can help him, do anybody have any advice ?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM
PTO-92958 PTO-92958 is offline
Donation Award 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks: 8,430
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,829 Posts

The best thing you could do from your side is to write to (or call, which is probably not an option since you're in Norway) the Superintendant of the facility with his/your concerns, and also cc or write a separate letter to the Commissioner of the Dept of Corrections in California and the person in charge of Inmate Movement and Control.
For more information, or more concise advice, look in the California forum here on PTO. You can locate it in the Regional and State forums about half way down the main page.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Saracat Saracat is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am wondering if these departments in Texas or what names they go by. I have a similar situation
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Tonette Tonette is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 82
Thanks: 19
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I am going through the same situation as well, but I wouldnt advise that you direct your requests to anybody at the DOC.

You dont want to give those jerks at the prison facility any idea of what you are doing you want the senators offices to deal with them because they know more about the law than we do.

I first sendt my request to the director in the north central region, and he in turn didn't do anything for me but sent me a letter telling me he couldn't help us. My advice to you would be to:

1. Get him to write a detailed letter to you telling him exactly what he wants and why. It's got to be something other than he just wants to be transferred.

2. Write the senates office where he resides and where he is located ex; My husband is in Florence Co but he resides in Washington DC so I sent a letter to the DC delegate and the Colorado senators. Once you recieve a letter back to you letting you know if they could help then you can send them a copy of the letter your guy friend sends to you regarding his request.

Tell them in your letter that you are sending them a copy of his letter only to validate your claim and to not share his letter with the prison because of privacy issues. They willl investigate the claim and giive you a time frame of when you should be able to recieve an answer.

It will take a while but be persistent and be sure to do your letters via certified mail. I sent our DC delegate 4 letters and she sent my husband a letter last week asking him about what he proposes to be done to fix the situation. Not to mention I have the senator from Colorado investigating his claim as well so hang in there I started my letter writing campaign in April and I received my first response in late may, just remember to make several copies of your letters and cc the letters you receive from one senator to the next I believe it adds more a sense of urgency to your claim and they know that a lot of parties are aware of your claim.

Good Luck! If you need any assistance let me know.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Saracat Saracat is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Rheeta,
I was wondering why your friend want to be in custody of federal prison authorities. What is the difference why not just tranfer him? I am just confused because my brother wants to be tranferred and be kept in protective until he is transferred, but it appears that whoever called on his behalf made things worse. He wrote to me telling me that even after he was told he was going to be moved in about a week ....it has not happened and they have punished him because he did not want to be put back into the regular prison population. So now I am going to write a letter to the warden requesting them to transfer him due to that he was attacked by gang members for not joining them and giving him money. He had received threats of still being attacked. He can't receive commisary, recration, or visits until Oct 08! and I don't understand why! He was also demoted I am trying to find out what several terms mean. Like G-4 he didn't even know, and "major cases" because he refused "housing" , which is why he got his priviliges taken away. He said he refused housing because he was going to get attacked yet he got punished, even though they said they were going to move him! It just doesn't make sense. He is just trying to do his time ....he even said that he is afraid they took his "good time" away that was the time deducted because of good behavior, i think. I will keep searching for answers.
El Paso, TX
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Back12draft Back12draft is offline

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texes prisons, Unbelievable...
Posts: 525
Thanks: 10
Thanked 470 Times in 238 Posts


Have you tired writing the TDCJ Ombudsman? They are usually pretty good on following up on complaints, but they do have limitations. I also call and speak directly to the unit warden. I have also found that before getting married TDCJ didn't want to cooperate because I was "Only a friend" Once we married and I'm now listed as "Spouse" they are more open to listening. But ya, Texas is messed up system, good luck.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 AM
lormur's Avatar
lormur lormur is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,575
Thanks: 270
Thanked 689 Times in 457 Posts

Rheeta, There is no procedure for getting moved from state prison t Federal Prison. They are placed in prison according to the crime. It is not possible to get a stat person changed to Federal.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics