Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in West Virginia should be posted here.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Darn, forgot something else, when I worked in the system, the inmates at MOCC submitted home plans a month in advance so there was time for the IPO's and PO's to get them ready and approve them so there would be time if their plan was not approved... I cannot see ONE WEEK being enough time to get anything done. It seems the imates, IMO, which isn't much, is being set up for a fall... I don't like that at all!!!! Mine will NEVER see the parole board under this rule!!! It's almost near impossible for him to find a home plan. The last time he was up for parole, he was approved, and it took me THREE Months to find him placement, even though he discharged his sentence in SIX, he still wanted that parole, and broke it in two weeks when he found out he'd be on parole for at least a year, so he would be sent back and discharge in three months. He went AWOL and got drunk from the center he was staying at... what to do???

The more I think about this, the more Irate I am getting.. I feel like an inmate!!!!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Turn Around, I posted a new message about the changes in the Home plan process The process has indeed been changed as of June 1, 2008. I don't know when your loved one was suppose to be up for parole if it even pertains to you konw, but Good luck just the same..

Take care
Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Donation Award 

And because it's a privilege they can change the rules and regs about home plans and when inmates are seen and the inmates have very little, if any, recourse.

A week before definitely isn't enough time. Mine was filed 60 days before my hearing date and took 30 to finalize and approve. Because of that I was fortunate enough to go home the day I paroled.

Its going to be interesting to see how this new process clogs up the system.

Last edited by justvicki; 06-06-2008 at 10:28 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 12:45 AM
1 Heart, 1 Soul, 2 Bodies

Is there an expiration date on the homeplans that are approved? If a homeplan is approved but the inmate is denied parole, is that plan still acceptable the following year or does a new one have to be approved?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Donation Award 

Depends on the amount of time between hearings, however, in most cases the home plan has to be resubmitted in case situations and circumstances have changed in the interim.

Last edited by justvicki; 06-07-2008 at 10:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to justvicki For This Useful Post:
MissingMyDaniel (06-07-2008)
Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,151 Times in 6,850 Posts

Wow there us alot of things useful here

http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/c...c62-12-13.html
Old 06-08-2008, 04:23 PM
1 Heart, 1 Soul, 2 Bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_angel View Post
Wow there us alot of things useful here

http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/c...c62-12-13.html

What does that have to do with homeplans? Looks like it has more to do with parole eligibility.

Last edited by MissingMyDaniel; 06-08-2008 at 04:28 PM..
Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Some of the stuff that was in that Memo is NOT in this code. I am glad she posted it, because there are things in there I did not know. It is not in there that the parole board has the right to give a further consideration if your home plan is not approved in advance. That wa sin the memo, and I was wondering to myself today what could the inamtes do about this. say if they were to FILE GRIEVANCES against it since it is NOT in the state code that I saw, unless I over looked it wh ich is possible since I am half blind and OLD!! ROFL

Anyway, thanks everyone!!!
Bonnie
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
robs_angel (06-09-2008)
Old 06-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Donation Award 

The code is very vague when it comes to home plans.....

(4) Has submitted to the board a written parole release plan setting forth proposed plans for his or her place of residence, employment and, if appropriate, his or her plans regarding education and post-release counseling and treatment, the parole release plan having been approved by the Commissioner of Corrections or his or her authorized representative;

I can't find where it mentions a timeline for this to be done, so that gives the board some very broad powers about when home plans are submitted and approved. Also the board it notorious to see inmate following month, or even longer, because "not all of the paperwork was completed" at the time of their orginally scheduled hearing. It seems that approved home plans are now falling under that same excuse.

Last edited by justvicki; 06-08-2008 at 05:55 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM

what they are doing is first getting the home planned approved first before the inmates scheduled parole hearing

Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Donation Award 

That is what was done until about 18 months ago, then they changed it and plans were not even submitted until after the inmate had made parole. Effective 6/1/08 if a home plan is still not approved one week before the inmates hearing date their hearing is postponed. At least the ways it was done before the inmate knew whether or not they had made parole. This new procedure is a big change.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,151 Times in 6,850 Posts

They change so much thanks for keeping up on it bonnie!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM

It is a big change and Norman said it was not going over well with the inmates. At least before they knew the date they'd see the board, but now even that can be off set up to a week before the hearing.

Must be nice to be able to play with so many lives like that.. I wouldn't want that responsibility!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Where can I find the criteria for the Home Plan ?
I want to be prepared. We have 5 months to the Board again.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Donation Award 

Inmates can get a home plan packet from their unit manager and/or counselor, better yet the IPO. I do not know of anywhere that can be obtained online. I will try to find mine to see what basic criteria is required, however, I do know that depending on the nature of the crime, specific criteria can be added.

A few across the board requirements are no guns and/or weapons of any kind are allowed in the home and no alcohol is allowed in the home no mater the nature of the parolee's crime was.

Last edited by justvicki; 06-23-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Account Closed

Thanks Bonnie, it didn't do us any good. They denied his parole, the first question they asked him was about him having an affair while on parole ( before my time).
I don't see why they would have any reason to even bring that up, she was the one that was in the postion of authority, not him.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM

I don't understand why that was brought up either. I'm sorry for you he didn't make parole... hopefully next time!!!

By the way, if you ever come online IM me.. wold like to talk to you!!!

Thanks for posting
Good luck
Bonnie
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM

I would think the inmate would be given a copy of the criteria... you could ask him, or call the prison perhaps and ask to talk to the Institutional Parole Officer.. GOOD LUCK!

Bonnie
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Question Homeplans and PO's

Okay. I'm buying a house. I'm putting down $5000 of borrowed money on a $34,000 house. My question is WHAT THE HECK DOES THE PO WANT? Is there ANY reason he might not be paroled to me? Location? I need to know before I sign the papers on Thursday!!! Please help! I called the PO office and asked them what the restrictions were and they really didn't have much to tell me, (imagine that) My house is in a decent neighborhood and in good condition. However, there was a kidnapping/murder that happened just the other day not far from there. I work full time...plus...I go to school full time. I've never been in any trouble and I don't drink or use drugs. My husband is doing a 1-10 for forgery and is going up for parole on July 29. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
GOD BLESS YOU!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Donation Award 

I can't imagine why the home plan would be denied. Since his parole hearing is the 29th, the PO should be visiting soon, in fact I am surprised they haven't yet since the home plan has to be filed with the parole board no less than one week before an inmate's hearing. Is there anyway you can postpone signing your papers without jeopardizing the purchase just to be on the safe side?

You are working, the house is in a good neighborhood, despite the recent crime (that can happen any where and every where), and is in good condition. Your husband did not commit a violent crime and should not have any limitations/restrictions as to where he can live. My gut tells me you should be okay. Just remember no alcohol or weapons of any kind in the home.

I wish you both all the best! Let us know what happens.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 AM

Yes indeed, good luck to both of you. I will praying your husband makes his parole. My husband is doing his 1-10 for forgery too, and is up for parole, but unfortunately he has no home plan to go to. The PO in my county refues to let him come here last time he was up for parole because he had a conviction of domestic assault against me back in 2000. The PO said as long as he was the PO in this county he would never approve for my husband to ever come here. He told me my husband needs to go back to Huntington wher ehe belongs.

You having the house is a great thing. I can only wish I had money for a down payment on a house. I am so tired of renting and all this money is going to waist when it could be going to purchase a home for us to be in forever...

Again, Good luck to you, God bless and yes keep us posted!!!!

God bless!
Bonnie
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
Bunnywabbit (07-08-2008)
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM
snydersgirl

Default pre home plan

my boyfriend was telling me that one of his friends made parole but he didnt have a home plan before he went in front of them he said his friend told him that you have to have a pre home plan and that you have to pay for it i was just wondering if this is true or not ?? has anyone else heard about that ??
Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Donation Award 

While its not called a "pre" home plan, it is true that the West Virginia Parole Board will only interview parole eligible inmates with approved home plans. Any inmate without an approved home plan will be given a further consideration by the board. This means they will be seen when an approved home plan is in place. This new rule became effective June 1, 2008.

Approved home plans must be submitted to the Parole Board at least one week prior to the parole interview. This is to ensure that the inmate's victims and families do not attend unnecessarily.

You do not have to pay for a home plan, however, there is a monthly supervision fee of $40 that the parolee must pay as long as they are on parole.

Last edited by justvicki; 08-31-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM

I was also told that the inmate had to pay $50.00 before the home plan could be approved.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Donation Award 

I've read and re-read WV Criminal Code 62-12 dealing with probation and parole and can't find a mention of a cost to file a home plan, although it does identify the parolee's monthly supervison fee.

Something new...............interesting.