Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Donation Award 

Default Questions about the SNY

My brother is in PC in county and I'm not sure if he will go to SNY when he gets transferred to prison. I was wondering What is SNY like in reception and when you mainline? And are they transferring SNY people out of state?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

He will have to request SNY when he gets classified at reception. If he has valid reasons, he'll have no trouble.

SNY yards program just like GP mainline except that they are generally much quieter and not so prone to lockdowns.

Yes, they are sending certain SNY inmates out of state if they meet the transfer criteria.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferzwife
He will have to request SNY when he gets classified at reception. If he has valid reasons, he'll have no trouble.

SNY yards program just like GP mainline except that they are generally much quieter and not so prone to lockdowns.

Yes, they are sending certain SNY inmates out of state if they meet the transfer criteria.
A lot is true here but my hubby is in Calipatria and he is on lockdown a lot..either because of insodents from one of the 3 mainlines or SNY yard, or short on staff, or whatever the warden feels the whole prison needs to be on lockdown. ....
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 AM

Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,697 Posts

If he can request to be on an SNY yard, he'll find it to have a lot less "drama". It's actually a good thing, especially for gang drop outs who just want to do their time and not get caught up in the "politics".

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Only going by my experience and that of many I know. C yard at KVSP - which is Level 4 btw - is almost never locked down and when it is it's for a day or so. We also never lose visits. I think this is because C yard is just an excellently programming yard that seldom has serious issues.

Sorry to hear that the SNY at Calipat is not doing well. Staff needs to get in there and weed out the troublemakers and throw them back on GP mainline.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Donation Award 

Well I hope my brother can transfer out of state b/c we live in Illinois. I know that its not possible for him to come here but anywhere is better than california from what I hear. Plus, arizona would be great since we have family there.

In county they told him he better go to PC so he did. He is worried when he goes to reception they won't put him to SNY right away. Do you guys know how that works? Do they ask when he arrives or do they just put him somewhere and he has to try to find someone to listen to him to be moved in SNY??

I know his biggest fear right now is the not knowing b/c nobody is telling him what's going on or what's going to happen and he's scared. So I'm the only one who can help it seems and it's really you guys who are helping. Thank you so much by the way!!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM

He needs to send in a request to be designated SNY. Have him put in a 602 AND a request to see his counselor. They will "debrief" him and get the process started. He can also volunteer for an out of state transfer.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM
missing my baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisstina21
Well I hope my brother can transfer out of state b/c we live in Illinois. I know that its not possible for him to come here but anywhere is better than california from what I hear. Plus, arizona would be great since we have family there.

In county they told him he better go to PC so he did. He is worried when he goes to reception they won't put him to SNY right away. Do you guys know how that works? Do they ask when he arrives or do they just put him somewhere and he has to try to find someone to listen to him to be moved in SNY??

I know his biggest fear right now is the not knowing b/c nobody is telling him what's going on or what's going to happen and he's scared. So I'm the only one who can help it seems and it's really you guys who are helping. Thank you so much by the way!!
If he gets to reception and they have not validated him to be on a SNY Yard...he needs to roll it up and go to the hole... my ex brother in law was in the processes of debriefing and that was his only choice ir he would have to go to the mainline while he finished the process...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferzwife
Only going by my experience and that of many I know. C yard at KVSP - which is Level 4 btw - is almost never locked down and when it is it's for a day or so. We also never lose visits. I think this is because C yard is just an excellently programming yard that seldom has serious issues.

Sorry to hear that the SNY at Calipat is not doing well. Staff needs to get in there and weed out the troublemakers and throw them back on GP mainline.
Calipat SNY mostly goes on lockdown because of something from the mainlines or short of staff mainly..but from SNY itself I cant remember an insodent..
Old 04-21-2008, 04:27 AM
Donation Award 

My friend immediately went into SNY when he went into Reception at Wasco, it seemed to be relatively easy. The only hurdle that he has at the moment is that his counselor initially did not think that he needed to continue SNY when he is mainlined. After describing an incident that happened at County Jail, the counselor 'kind of' agreed and asked for SNY for him when mainlined. Hopefully that will go thru because my friend feels a lot safer in SNY, and there is a lot less drama going on!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Donation Award 

I found out my brother is for sure in SNY, which I am excited about. I do hope he stays in SNY b/c I have heard also it is a lot easier and less drama. I hope his counselor agrees. He just got to reception a few weeks ago so i'm sure it will still be awhile before I hear anything more. Fingers crossed though!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Default sny

Not to sound silly/dumb, but what is sny...??? can someone please explain as I saw this in another post
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM

Special Needs Yard (or "protective custody"). Gang drop-outs, ex-cops/lawyers, sex offender's, high-profile prisoners or celebrities.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Default sny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kima View Post
Special Needs Yard (or "protective custody"). Gang drop-outs, ex-cops/lawyers, sex offender's, high-profile prisoners or celebrities.

i have a question for you...i was wondering what kind of questions do they ask the inmate who is in a gang that wants out and wants to be in sny? They must want some kind of information about the gang. They are after solving mysteries and in exchange for protection to an inmate do they ask the inmate to rat on the gang? I mean they join this sny but what happeneds when they get out are they in danger then? Can you please tell me? I want to know what kind of information they want from the inmate in order to put him in sny?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,013 Times in 10,469 Posts

I wish I knew the answer but I will try to wing it. (read: no clue, but here is what might work)
if your inmate was in a gang, and wants to be *out* of it, I would think he could go sny if they have space avail.
For that matter, I wish they would not do sny and just put all those who want to cause trouble in their own place and just let the others deal with prison, without the freakin drama.

Please dont take my opinion as fact. My hub is in sny but not gang related.

There is a nap for that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
onesteff1 (07-08-2009), preachrwife (07-07-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:13 PM

If he is actually in a gang (or even affiliated) he will go through a deprogramming process, which can take up to a year. I have no idea the questions they'll ask...

Unless he plans to get out and hang with the same folks, he shouldn't worry too much. But one word of advice - DO NOT move back to the hood.

The Following User Says Thank You to kima For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-08-2009)
Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I wish I knew the answer but I will try to wing it. (read: no clue, but here is what might work)
if your inmate was in a gang, and wants to be *out* of it, I would think he could go sny if they have space avail.
For that matter, I wish they would not do sny and just put all those who want to cause trouble in their own place and just let the others deal with prison, without the freakin drama.

Please dont take my opinion as fact. My hub is in sny but not gang related.
what kind of questions did they ask your husband in order to be there? Im just scared they will ask things that will give him more time . The counselor said its just to make sure he is not trying to get in sny to kill someone else and thats why they need to ask questions. Well what do you think about that?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:10 AM

Default whats sny like

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesteff1 View Post
what kind of questions did they ask your husband in order to be there? Im just scared they will ask things that will give him more time . The counselor said its just to make sure he is not trying to get in sny to kill someone else and thats why they need to ask questions. Well what do you think about that?
also i forgot to ask you...what is sny like is it better do they have less benefits than gpy? (general population yard)
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,013 Times in 10,469 Posts

I dont know. I pretty much think they decided he needed to be in sny.

As far as mainline vs sny, I dont know either.
Hub says they have yard, tv, and he is working. So Im not sure what is the difference between the two other than it seems the ones in sny are a bit out of the major *politics* and such.

edit part......
I think one disadvantage for sny vs mainline is how long hubby was in reception.
(over one yr)

There is a nap for that

Last edited by sidewalker; 07-08-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

SNY yards program just like GP. All the same privileges and it's bascially just like GP except the men are SNY. They work, go to school, go to yard, chowhall, day room, have Canteen, packages, phone calls, visits - just like GP.