Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oregon DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Coffee Creek Correctional Facility Intake & Assessment Process ??'s

I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight into the intake and assessment process that goes on at Coffee Creek.

A good friend of mine just got 5 years for Robbery 2 charges...Measure 11 case. Meth is the driving factor behind his behavior. He has no record prior to this and was a very successful business owner and community contributor up until about a year ago. What he needs more than anything is REHAB!

Is there anything he should do or not do while going thru intake that can help get him into a good facility for serving his term?

Any thoughts or experiences welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl
What he needs more than anything is REHAB!
I agree with you on that!!

I have no experience with the Oregon system, but wanted to Welcome you to PTO!!! It is wonderful that you are supporting your friend during this.

JJT
Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Boss

Hi Javagirl,
Welcome to PTO Oregon.
I'm not an expert, but here's what I know:
I think that because he is M11, he will initially be put in medium custody, but can get moved to minimum when his release date gets closer, which will make him eligible for the prisons where the good programs are at. Most, but not all, M11 offenders initially go to a prison in Eastern Oregon. He might get lucky and go to OSCI in Salem, which has more programs and is the only medium prison designed to reintergrate prisoners. It sounds like he needs to be honest about his addiction at Intake so they know he can be a good citizen given proper treatment. But, with the way the system is, which focuses on punishment and revenge instead of restitution and positive change, it's mostly going to be up to him to rehab himself and get his mind and body straight again.

Wish you the best. Stay strong.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:14 PM

Hi Javagirl,
I agree with one luv, he needs to be very honest with his intake counseler about his addiction and every counsel after that until hopefully someone listens. Unfortunelty while at CCCF he will be unable to make phone calls (that one really sucked for me) but they do issue him 5 evelopes and you can send him all the mail you want (once you have his SID # that is). I hope your friend gets the help he needs. It might take a while but tell him to keep trying.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the advice and support everyone!! I am surprised to hear about no phone calls while at CCCF. From what I could understand, they can have $$ on the books, buy envelopes, and make calls. Maybe that is only for people actually doing their time there, not the ones going thru intake??

I guess I am still hoping for some insight into the testing process. What are they measuring and basing their decisions on exactly? Or is this just BS and they send people wherever there is a bed? Also, since I am rambling....how often are inmates moved around on average during a 5 year sentence? Anyone have some perspective on this?

Thanks again everyone!

-javagirl
Old 09-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Boss

Java- yes, they get those privileges when they get to the prison. Bt I clearly remember that my husband was able to call when he was at CC, even though we thought he wouldn't be able to. Maybe it has changed, that was over 5 years ago.

Since I've never taken the tests, I don't know what all they are testing for, but everyone goes through it. I know some are about family history, health, addiction, education, and physiology. I don't think the testing so much determines where they are sent- the testing lets them know what kind of person they are dealing with, and gives them a chance to label them in their file. The prison they are sent to is determined by their crime, length of sentence, and available space just as much or more than the physiology testing- that's my opinion at least, although I could be wrong.

It costs a lot of money to move prisoners, so he will likely not be moved until he gets closer to release and can go to a minimum facility, or he may not be moved at all. The ones who get moved a lot are usually always because of security issues.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM

let me help you with coffee creek, my husband was there this summer. First of alll, get a verizon wireless cell phone with a newburg, oregon number, that is local to wilsonville, the calls he makes, if you pre-pay with the vac will be $1.50 for 15 minutes. He will be able to make calls as soon as his pin number is set up. The intake process is one of mental/physical assessment. Just tell him to be honest, let the system help him if he is willing. I am not telling you that prison is some great place, but my husband, a recovering meth addict is doing very well. I do not know about measure 11 requirements, but my husband spent 1 month at cccf, then 1 1/2 months at srci, then 1 1/2 months in the transistional program at prcf and now he is in their 6 month program. He will only serve 10 months of an 18 month sentance. On the outside, his life was going downhill and we pleaded with the judge and he erased all of the fines, to us this is 10 months of free rehab. I could have paid thousands for 30 day rehabs, but my husband said that never would have been enough. He has been clean for 4 months and this experience saved his life and our marriage. There are parts of the system that are irritating, but I have had excellent contacts with guards, great visits and the program at prcf is based on drug addiction. As soon as you can see this as a semi-positive experience, the more sanity.
Oh, there is no visiting while in transition at cccf, but he can prep the paperwork for his placement. Yes, I agree with the others, most head to eastern oregon and let me tell you I drive 400 miles every other weekend to baker city and all I can say is that it beats ontario.
Pm if you like, but I have little internet access.
michele
Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 PM

Michele-

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful and I wish you and your husband well. I can only hope my friend can make it thru with the same success. So far, he has had a relatively positive experience and he is clean which is AWESOME!!!

I am wondering why you said Verizon is the phone company to go with? There's been a lot of talk about the phone systems on this site and I am hoping you can help clarify this particular part. I currently have Sprint and wasn't planning on changing providers, just my number to a local one. I will PM you soon.

-javagirl
Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,805 Times in 4,326 Posts

On a Measure 11 sentence, the inmate is not eligible for the Alternative Incarceration program, which is the one which gives time cuts for successfully completing either the drug/alcohol program at Powder River or the boot camp program at Shutter Creek. HOWEVER, he can still request, in writing, participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program. He will not be able to enter the program until he is 12-18 months short of his release date but he should let them know he wants in. There is an alcohol/drug treatment program that is 12 months long at Columbia River Correctional Institution. Completion does not result in a time cut but he'll get some of the skills he needs before leaving the system. It is a transitional program which is why he has to wait to enter - so that when he leaves he goes into an aftercare program in the community. In the meantime, he should request educational or vocational training and try to work his way into minimum custody. Hope this helps. Zelda
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 PM

I just spoke to my husband this weekend, who is in powder river and he said that measure 11 guys are allowed in, as long as they meet the criteria, specifically having less then 36 months on sentance remaining.
michele
Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Donation Award 

They may be allowed into the treatment program but Measure 11 inmates are not eligible for the time cut/ early release/transitional leave that comes with the Alternative Incarceration Program. The statute specifically states that. Plus many inmates with Measure 11 offenses are excluded because they have been convicted of certain offenses. Zelda
Old 10-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Former CCCF inmate

Default Coffee Creek Intake

Hi,

Here is the link to a very informative page about coffee creek---I remember the photo, I'm in it, on the left, towards the back.

You can find lots here, if you want to know more that the site does not tell you, PM me, I was there.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Education Volunteer

Can you attach the link to this informative page about Coffee Creek, as I don't see it in your reply?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Boss

I don't know if this is the link he was referring to, but it's CC's official web site.

http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/PRISON...ome_page.shtml
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Education Volunteer

To sixpack6t9:
Here is the link to a very informative page about coffee creek---I remember the photo, I'm in it, on the left, towards the back.

Where is the link to this special page/web site for coffee creek?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:14 AM

here is the link missing from above post:

http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/PRISON/index.shtml

-javagirl
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM

I hope you get all the info that you need, I'm glad that you joined the group!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl
I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight into the intake and assessment process that goes on at Coffee Creek.

A good friend of mine just got 5 years for Robbery 2 charges...Measure 11 case. Meth is the driving factor behind his behavior. He has no record prior to this and was a very successful business owner and community contributor up until about a year ago. What he needs more than anything is REHAB!

Is there anything he should do or not do while going thru intake that can help get him into a good facility for serving his term?

Any thoughts or experiences welcome!!
Hi Javagirl-
My husband's in Coffee Creek right now being assessed. He should be heading where he is going pretty soon. I can't wait, because it has been 6 months since I've had any physical contact with him. At least I will get to hug him when he gets to prison. He told me that he is being very honest so he gets the help he needs. He was being held under Measure 11 for unlawful use of a weapon...just like you, I totally believe he would not have been there if not for his addiction. (Alcohol). I saw someone else mention that this saved her husbands life & their marriage. I also think the same is true for my hubby. He was drinking himself to death. Not to mention all the cigarettes he smoked. He has been sober & smoke-free for the last 6 mos. thanks to the system. If you write your friend, be sure that you have his SID# on the envelope, or they will send your letters back to you. Also, be sure you don't send more than 5 pages, as they only allow 5 pages. He can call you, you can't call him. Will told me that for a 20 minute call that others have said it's around $20.00. I've only talked to him twice since he's been in CC. I checked into Prison Calls Online & you are supposed to be able to save about 60%, they quoted me a price of something like $7.60 for 20 minutes, which is way better than $20.00 for 20 minutes. I really don't know how they can get away with that?!?!? Will got 5 years with time off for good behavior & time served. At CC they told him he will be serving 4. He has spent the last 6 months in our county jail/CC so, we are only looking at 3 1/2 more. I think sometimes they need to see consequences to turn their life around. It is just really hard being apart. We've been together for 15 years, so being apart 4 is really going to be tough. He's already missed our anniversary, and my birthday, I'll be missing his birthday next month :'(. Everyone I have talked to said to keep the letters going, as it gives them something to look forward to & helps them through the whole experience. I'm here for ya, if you want to talk.
Roe
First Timers #20
Wrongfully Convicted #70
Loving My Knucklehead #10
Loving My Inmate #97
2010 #30
I Will Hurt The Mailman Club Member #36
Forever Teamed Up #3
~3 1/2 years til my baby comes home ~
Old 12-27-2005, 12:27 AM

hi wilandroe-
thanks for your kind words and sharing. my guy was sent to EOCI last week and now i am working on our first visit. i got approved as a visitor immediately, now i just need to get to oregon ASAP. i got a cell phone local to pendleton so our calls now cost less than $2.00 for 20 minutes. he's looking into programs and jobs and we are trying to stay positive and find a way to make lemonade out of lemons ya know. he already wrote 3 business plans while stuck at county for 7 months...haha he swear's he will be retired by the time he walks outta there! let us know where your husband ends up.

-javagirl
Old 12-28-2005, 12:04 AM

Hi javagirl-
Will should be heading out somewhere soon. I just got a letter from him today & he said most people are leaving CC after about a month. He figures he has maybe at most 2 weeks left. He is staying really positive (for it being him), and hoping that this will be a positive experience for the both of us. Where are you at java? I sent Will my information so he could get me on his visiting list asap so I could get approved. I can't wait to actually visit him where there is not a stupid piece of glass between us. Your friend just may have good ideas brewing there. I'm hoping Will will get some training in different trades so he can work once he gets out. It's hard to believe he's already been gone about 6 mos. I'm glad to find you guys
Roe
First Timers #20
Wrongfully Convicted #70
Loving My Knucklehead #10
Loving My Inmate #97
2010 #30
I Will Hurt The Mailman Club Member #36
Forever Teamed Up #3
~3 1/2 years til my baby comes home ~
Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Former CCCF inmate

Hey everyone, I was going back over my PTO activities and realized that I had missed putting the link in my post--thanks to everyone who covered that mistake, and yes that was the link that I intended to post---

my apologies to all
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Since there are no recent postings to this thread, I'm not sure my question will be noticed.. but since I'm grasping at straws... I'm trying to find out how the placement decision process works at Coffee Creek. Anyone know who actually decides? Is it the assigned counselor? Is the administration at CCCF? Is it an individual, or a group decision? If an inmate meets all qualifications for an alternative, prison term shortening program like Powde River... who decides if the enter that program or not? Thanks for ANY insite into the process.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Donation Award 

Placement in a particular institution depends upon the security level, as determined by a risk-assessment, as well as what programs they decide the inmate needs, and whether there's bed space. The counselor is involved in that decision and I don't know who else. The Alternative Incarceration Program has a screener who determines who is eligible according to the Oregon statutes and the Oregon Administrative Rules. Once determined eligible, the inmate is placed on a wait list. When they get in is based on how much time they have left to serve and other factors, depending on which program. The boot camp admits "platoons" all at once on various dates. The women's drug/alcohol program decides placement on the wait list by a random lottery. The Powder River alcohol/drug program admits inmates, I think, based upon release date. The ones getting out sooner, get into the program sooner. Hope that helps a bit. Sometimes, with certain high-risk inmates, the warden of a potential institution is involved it he decision making. Other factors are where co-defendants are placed and if the inmate has alleged gang affiliations, etc. Z.