Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Prison News & Events Do you have news relating to California's Prison System and related efforts? Post them here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:23 AM
PRAY on 13th of Month

Default Cdcr: Early Release Of Inmates

RECEIVED FROM TIPS

February 22, 2007

PERIODIC UPDATE

CDCR: EARLY RELEASE OF INMATES

The Governor and Secretary Jim Tilton just held a press conference at the Capitol. Their announcement was that in order to comply with federal court orders to reduce inmate population, the Department of Corrections is considering the early release of non-violent offenders, as well as other alternatives.

For further reading, you can visit the TiPS website

Last edited by LeBeau; 02-23-2007 at 09:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:
mzvilla2021 (03-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 987 Posts

The Governor and Secretary Jim Tilton just held a press conference at the Capitol. Their announcement was that in order to comply with federal court orders to reduce inmate population, the Department of Corrections is considering the early release of non-violent offenders, as well as other alternatives.

WOW! Hope this will come to pass,as far as early releases.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Donation Award 

I just saw this story in the Sacramento Bee ... but I can't post a link to the story until after I have made 25 posts here

I truly hope they let out the low level, and all the others who shouldn't be there, or who have been in plenty long enough. And do away with parole altogether, except for extreme cases.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,767 Times in 7,078 Posts

Here's the Sacramento Bee article and the text of yesterday's press conference with Arnie

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,996 Times in 800 Posts

Personally I believe that they need to release all the non-violent, parole violators (non violent violations) sick and elderly. Once they do this, the pressure will be off. Most of the overcrowding is Level 1 and 2. Then they need to revamp the parole system, put a sentencing commission in place and fix the sentencing guidelines in this state. Sentences need to fit the crimes. Get rid of these new laws that only create more law enforcement jobs and cost the state billions of extra tax dollars. They could easily reduce the percentages on many doing 85% and it would cause no harm to the public. I would also like to see them offer Military service to many of these young men. They need direction in their lives. They can pay their debt by serving their country. My son would have taken that in a heartbeat. I would also like to see the Governor make a deal with large manufacturing corporations through-out the state to take on training and hiring of parolees. The reason many go back is that they can't find employment. Give them a tax break. It's all about money. Done! No more overcrowding. See how easy. I should be Governor!

Morris1

The Following User Says Thank You to Morris1 For This Useful Post:
mzvilla2021 (03-22-2011)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Donation Award 

you have my vote!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Donation Award 

Thank you for your support.... Ha. Ha.

Morris1
Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks Morris1....I wish you had a direct line to the brains of these people in charge who don't seem to understand your common sense approach. I also think its a waste of tax payer money to put them into prison and pay for them to sit there when they could be helping our country as you mentioned in the service and even closer - put more in fire camps where they can provide a service to our state
Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 AM

The overcrowding is on the level 3 and level 4 yards. The CDCR has empty MSF ( level 1) beds because there are not enough inmates that qualify for minimum custody.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 AM
his one and only wife

JLS is most definately correct. My husband says level 1 and 2 inmates are transferring out of reception to mainline every day. The way my husband put it to me is like this, someone is always going home from level 1 or 2 yard so there are always empty beds. The level 3 and 4 yards are getting full with lifers and those with long sentences. If someone is on a level 3 or 4 yard they would more than likely not qualify as someone who would be eligible for early release.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS
The overcrowding is on the level 3 and level 4 yards. The CDCR has empty MSF ( level 1) beds because there are not enough inmates that qualify for minimum custody.
Sense the overcrowding is on the level 3 and 4 yards,what are they going to do with those inmates and the level 1 and 2? Are they going to move the low level inmates to CCF's if there is room for them? This is all so crazy and confusing to me.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
PRAY on 13th of Month

Hey Morris1, I LOVE THAT IDEA! My grandson just went into the Army and after 6 months he NOW knows what his BIG UNCLE has been through in a SMALL SENSE! He understands the scale for his Uncle is 100 times worse but he also feels the pain of being away from home and loved ones and how IMPORTANT the letters and CALLS are! AMAZING is the fact I have 2 away from home. Both depend on my LOVE AND CALLS AND LETTERS AND PACKAGE's. One serving the Country the other paying for his Crime. Both have the same living settings the only difference is one is behind bars. Both can't shit or eat unless someone tells them they can.

YES JLS, it is Level 3 and 4 yards that are overcrowded. I see them letting those with 1 yr or less VIOLENT Or NOT just to easy the Overcrowding and the GOV will say "THEY ARE GETTING OUT ANYWAY" That is find with me! Sentencing has gone extreme in most cases!

SO, LET IT ROLL GOV! I WANT MY BOY HOME!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Donation Award 

OK. Now I am a little confused. The overcrowding in all the documentation "Little Hoover Report" and such specify parole violations and non-violent areas of the prisons are the ones in the gyms and hallways. My son is a level 3 at Ironwood and there is no overcrowding on the higher levels. He is 2 to a cell. It exists on the mosty 2 yard I believe. Maybe it depends on the facility. From what my son told me about reception, Delano it was like sardines. Many are transferring out but equally or more keep transferring in. Wasn't the Chino riot not too long ago a lower level? That was my understanding. Someone who knows that prison please comment.

Morris1

Last edited by Morris1; 02-23-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1
OK. Now I am a little confused. The overcrowding in all the documentation "Little Hoover Report" and such specify parole violations and non-violent areas of the prisons are the ones in the gyms and hallways. My son is a level 3 at Ironwood and there is no overcrowding on the higher levels. He is 2 to a cell. It exists on the mosty 2 yard I believe. Maybe it depends on the facility. From what my son told me about reception, Delano it was like sardines. Many are transferring out but equally or more keep transferring in. Wasn't the Chino riot not too long ago a lower level? That was my understanding. Someone who knows that prison please comment.

Morris1
I think that the riot at Chino was on a low level yard,these days that don't mean nothing. When my friend got moved to Susanville from N.K.S.P they housed him on a level 3 yard before he got moved and he was classified as level 1.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
his one and only wife

I'm pretty sure the last big riot in Chino was in reception center west... The reception center has inmates of all levels housed together... Chino is extremely overcrowded... The last time my husband was there (March 2006) he got sent to the hole (Palm Hall) the day he got there because there was a riot. Chino is usually off the chain compared to the other reception centers... I also read the Little Hoover Commission Report and it did seem to describe the overcrowding the way you are saying. But I have to say my husband who has lots of experience with this really made me see things logically when he said that most level 3 and 4 inmates aren't going anywhere soon. So what JLS is saying makes sense...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Morris ,
you have my vote!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvly143
JLS is most definately correct. My husband says level 1 and 2 inmates are transferring out of reception to mainline every day. The way my husband put it to me is like this, someone is always going home from level 1 or 2 yard so there are always empty beds. The level 3 and 4 yards are getting full with lifers and those with long sentences. If someone is on a level 3 or 4 yard they would more than likely not qualify as someone who would be eligible for early release.
Then, the problems is with sentencing reform and the 3 strikes law. Like I mentioned on here once before when something like a 3 strikes law comes on a ballot vote it down, don't complain after the fact when you didn't go out to vote the first place. We do have the power as voters. My 2 cents

Last edited by Imani; 02-23-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Member of the 2018 club

Unfortunately for me, the only way my husband would be coming home any sooner is if they finally do what the rumors have been saying for the last few years and reduce the 85% mandatory time down to a lesser amount. He's level 3 with 11 years to go, I know he wouldn't be one of the ones up for early release otherwise.

Stephanie
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
his one and only wife

They can't lessen the 85% mandatory time unless they change the penal code... Which is very unlikely...
Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Donation Award 

My son was telling me just last week-end that there are guys that are about to drop points that would put them on a 2 yard so they get into trouble on purpose to pick up the points that will keep them on the 3 yard. It is much safer. The 2 yards are the bunkbed mess and anyone can get to you and the guards can see very little. You have to keep one eye open when you sleep.

Morris1
Old 02-23-2007, 02:29 PM
his one and only wife

The 3 and 4 yards house inmates in cells not dormitories so that makes sense Morris... But it seems funny that any inmate would be scared to go to a lower level yard You know what surprises me? When I go and visit at NKSP I visit my husband who is in general population... So we visit on a seperate side, our side never gets too crowded...But I can't help but notice there are a WHOLE LOTTA PC's!! I mean the PC visiting side fills up fast... Now lots of prisons are converting whole yards in to SNY to accomodate the growing "protective custody" population. I wonder what affect this is having on the bed issue. With lots of inmates being transferred out to other prisons etc. to make room for all the PC's.

Last edited by Luvly143; 02-23-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Donation Award 

Anyone who wants to do some research on overcrowding check this out. I think we are all right. Overcrowding is just everywhere.

Morris1

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/ReportsResear...P1Ad070214.pdf
Old 02-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Default How Many??

Does anyone know how many inmates they need to release in order to relieve enough of the over crowding so that there will not be a threat of Federal takeover?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Joined at the heart!

I do not know how many for the federal not to take over, but the prisons were designed to hold approximately 90,000 +- inmates and we have over 173,000! They have only sent to date about 300 inmates out of state. So, they have a long way to go. But my understanding is they do not have to have the prisons all within a certain amount, they just have to have a plan in action to start reducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evernluv
Does anyone know how many inmates they need to release in order to relieve enough of the over crowding so that there will not be a threat of Federal takeover?

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Missing My Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1
My son was telling me just last week-end that there are guys that are about to drop points that would put them on a 2 yard so they get into trouble on purpose to pick up the points that will keep them on the 3 yard. It is much safer. The 2 yards are the bunkbed mess and anyone can get to you and the guards can see very little. You have to keep one eye open when you sleep.

Morris1
Morris I totally agree with you here!!! My husband was explaining this very thing to me a couple of weekends ago. It really surprised me, I thought a lower level would be better but I guess not. He also said he was glad he was not in a dorm anymore for that same reason. His points have dropped but the counselors are so overworked that they have not given him a reveiw and probably won't do so since he has only about 10 months left.

Closed Thread