View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Полезный дурак

And thank you, rockchalk, for saying this too!

I cannot stress enough how intensive the after care is and especially in the early months after a transplant. You did a good job illustrating this with the case of your mom. Jokingly, I have said the surgery was the easy part and the hospitalisation was simple too. It was a controlled environment, doctors came to see more than once a day, my medications were put in front of me and testing was done easy cause I was in bed!

However, the aftercare outside of hospital [and for the foreseeable future !!!] is demanding. I go 2x / week for labs and see the doctors also. Medications must be taken on time and in the same way. Also, until a transplant is stable, the medications fluctuate all the time. How closely would this be monitored in a prison health care setting!

I am glad you mentioned diet and nutrition as well as this is very important. Transplant nutritionists will come up with required amounts of protein and calcium that a particular patient needs due to the healing process / effects of drugs. For example, osteoporosis is a side effect of the medications. How can one ensure this kind of diet will be adhered to for an inmate?

Let us speak of the drugs for a moment too. The side effects are serious and include forms of cancers. How will this be monitored with lacklustre health care? Second point is that though the drugs prevent rejection of the new organ, they exhibit nephrotoxicity long term. This is why it is important for close after care monitoring so that the best level of drugs is in the blood and not too much to cause these side effects.

Nephrotoxicity results in kidneys not lasting forever but we do hope that they can last 20 years or the rare cases over 30 years! I was told due to my youth I will probably need multiple transplants but it is my goal to take care of what I have.

While Hep C kidneys may not make a major impact on the overall waiting lists, those that are usually discarded, as well as other organs needed, can make a difference to those willing to give it a try. Some years ago, I was surprised to learn how well HIV+ organ recipients do with transplants, so who knows what will come next in research?

Rockchalk, you are very right to remind us all that transplant must be taken seriously. It is a major life change. It is not simply the case of receiving a kidney, or any organ, and living as before. Transplant is not a cure, only a treatment, and with it comes its own problems.

Best regards to your transplanted family members and to your brother!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-13-2018), nimuay (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)