View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,549 Times in 7,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKingAlen View Post
He got arrested twice. The first time was a ten day probation flash but we didn't know it was going to be only ten days. They let me take the medication to the jail, they screened it and made sure it was the correct medication and not drugs and they gave it to him. He was only on it for 3-4 days before he got released and they gave the meds back to us upon release. Then 1 week later he got arrested again, and this time they are refusing to let me bring the meds in. How is it that I brought it in the first time and not this time? Nothings changed, it's the same medication. It should state in his file that he had the meds brought in previously and make it easier on it but they're not budging. They told me that hep C is the only medication they DONT give them due to budget. So basically he has to suck it up and risk effing up his liver even more because they wanna be assholes.
Simple - they usually allow meds brought in that pass screening for a few days until their med takes over. Once their medical department takes over, then they don't use the meds brought it. It has to be on their formulary. Hep C they don't give due to budget. Benzos they don't give at all, even if you bring them in, due to abuse. And there are other drugs not given once they determine they are not on the formulary. If you go in with a psychiatric condition and meds that cost $3K a month, guaranteed they will move you to a first or second generation psych med that costs $10 a month. It is rough.

You got it the first time because they didn't know what it was or how much it would cost THEM, and because they didn't know what the formulary said was the treatment. As soon as Medical saw him, they put him on the lowest cost alternative that met their formulary requirements.

Look, as soon as Soldari and the like become the Standard of Care, there's not going to be an alternative. Once it becomes the unequivocal Standard of Care, it's used to treat patients requiring the drugs. Before that, you're SOL.

Sucks because in the end it costs us more - more people are infected because he's infected, you risk infection, etc. But this is the short term way of keeping their med costs down along with their liability exposure.