View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
2 Earners in the home is better than 1 earner in the home every time. It doesn't mean a 1-earner family can't do it. Many do. My family did while my father was in prison. The family visits might be great for the inmate. Or for the family.

Well this is a no-brainer. Families with two parents in the home do better than families with just one parent all across the board. If one of the parents is missing (let alone in prison), the family (and children) are already at a significant disadvantage.
jsanner....Do you have children? I have a hard time listening to parenting advice from someone who doesn't have any experience in the matter. Do you understand how much childcare costs? Often times a person is working just to cover the cost of childcare and maybe part of the groceries. Do you know how difficult it is for both parents to be working AND get kids to school on time and pick them up on time and not miss work to do it. And if they can't then you are paying more in childcare for someone to watch them after school. Say you have 2 children under 5 years old in child care and you work 5 days a week. That's $1400 a month in childcare. Of course it's the parent's choice to have the children and therefore their responsibility to provide for the child in all ways. And Gods know none of us went into parenting hoping that everything went to hell and we ended up single parents or someone loses their job and you're making it work on one income.

I will tell you one thing...I've always provided my children with love and stability. With or without a man. With or without a second "earner" in the home. They've always had food on the table and new clothes and shoes. Having a second parent in the family means very little. It's stability and love that matters.
Critter07 (10-21-2017), nimuay (10-20-2017)