View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,712 Times in 652 Posts

When my son was first arrested, plead guilty, and was incarcerated, I avoided conversations of any type that included criminals and prison. But, as time went on I realized there were a lot of people not talking about it but in the same boat of having a friend or family member incarcerated. Given the statistics, it shouldn't have come as a surprise, but like many others, until it was part of my life I didn't pay attention to the realities. After that, I did talk to total strangers. A park ranger when I pulled in on the way home from prison because i was curious as to where the road went and he asked why I was in the area. He had a relative in FL in prison. Another time it was a young hotel clerk in OK and her father had been in prison all her life. It seemed that every where I turned there was someone and they and I were relieved just to be able to talk and not hide behind our masks.

Interestingly, 7 years later, with my son recently being released, he is the one who doesn't want anyone to know and he is the on who gets upset when I talk about it.

Like anything else, sometimes the best answer is to walk away, other times to talk about it. The choice is up to you and how you feel at the moment. Those who haven't been where we have are mostly uneducated as to the criminal justice system and the prison.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (11-06-2019), mandymoo (09-08-2020), MsFish (04-03-2020), SympatheticSis (08-18-2020), trauma4us (09-30-2019)