View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
I wish I could say prison was in rearview mirror, but AM's ex and the father of her kids was sentenced last week. There are also a handful of women that AM left behind that helped her. AM did what she could, even giving away her eyeglasses.
It's weird, and folks say when you get out you get OUT, and forget about everything, including the people. Makes sense; you want to leave that part of your life behind you.

Like I said I only did two weeks in county, which is nothing. But I ain't never been in trouble before at all, I didn't know diddly-squat about the unwritten rules, and while county has crap facilities people tend to be on their best behavior because most are waiting for trial and don't want to screw things up.

I got a lot of people's phone numbers, and promised to lend folks a hand if I could on the outside. The first night out, I couldn't stop crying, because I made a six-figure bond and I had gotten to know a lot of good folks who were stuck on the inside because they couldn't get $200 together to bond out, and the guilt I felt, and the anger I'd never felt before until now about the inequities of our "blind" justice system...I'm always going to be volunteering or working for policy change in our correctional system now and in the future because of my experience. There were so many people who lent me a helping hand, gave me advice, taught me the ropes, getting nothing in return because I had nothing to give.

Maybe a month after I got out, I'm hanging out downtown Nashville. I'm dressed nice, my ride is Italian and fast as hell...and a homeless man comes up to me. Which happens all the time. But this one knew my name, and after a second I recognized him and I knew his. This man always told me, when I was walking circles going out of my mind, "hey man, don't sweat it, it'll all work out sooner than you think". Those words of encouragement helped. And then he offered me some food, to be hospitable. I learned a lesson about humanity that I will never forget. Now, I'm back to being a white-collar professional with a lot of education and an income that I can't complain about, but now in my circle of friends are ex-cons and folks I only knew when I was in jail...the kind of people that folks in my socioeconomic level avoid walking near on the street or get nervous standing next to in an elevator. As a society we dehumanize inmates. That has GOT to stop. I'd go so far to say that it's one of the remaining prejudices we must overcome.

Anyways, lockup was painfully lonely as hell because that's how I found out my ex wanted to leave me. In a total surprise move, she spun the mother of all tall tales then called the cops. Her lies were so outrageous that the cops HAD to haul me in, because what if even 10% of it was true? If they let someone like that go they wouldn't be doing their jobs protecting the neighborhood. It's crazy, how you can just tell the cops just about anything, and get someone locked up, and if you're wealthy enough and know good lawyers, you'll get out in a week or two. If you don't, like most people, you could rot there for a year before you get to defend yourself. Ain't no justice in that; being innocent don't help worth a damn if people know you were in jail for a year. Most folks don't understand how the system works; I know I didn't. I really didn't know the difference between the local county drunk tank and a maximum security penitentiary.

I decided that, knowing how much it means to people to have someone care about you on the outside, I'd write a girl and be a friend, someone she could write or call or ask for $20 for phone calls (GTL....oughta call it WTF - the wealthiest people in America wouldn't want to pay their rates, and here they go charging our poorest folks those crazy rates, just because they can). Never thought it would grow into something beyond that, but it did, in a big way!

Funny thing is, how this inmate helped me, an outmate. Gave me moral support, advice, and has been as loyal a friend as you could ask for. She helped me in my real-world life more than I could have imagined. Add in her being pretty cute, and that's a recipe for love! If a girlfriend moved to another city for work, it'd be real hard to keep that long distance relationship going - there's choice involved there. But it's surprising how willing I am to wait for someone I love, however long I have to, because I know that she sure as hell don't wanna be separated from me and it's only the courts and her serving her time that keeps us apart. I never thought I could do a relationship where you can't see each other - long-distance never worked for me. But now, seriously long stretches of time ain't nothing, as long as we get out 30 minutes on the phone and a couple emails a day. I figure, if it's really the PERSON you love, and not their material possessions, or the sex, or any of that, then you can love an inmate pretty much forever.

No one looks sexy in TDOC blues. All you've got is a person's mind, heart, and soul to go off of (well, some beautiful eyes too!) and if you really, TRULY love someone, that's all that matters anyways.

Last edited by moonhanger; 11-01-2017 at 01:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to moonhanger For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (11-02-2017)