View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 AM

My fiance was convicted of a violent crime and is doing 3 1/2 yrs but also seems to think that he will be eligable for work release based on the information he's been receiving inside and from his caseworker. He is also a firt time offender and there was absolutely no violence commmited (which can make him eligable for a VFO), however, he and I both know not to trust anything you hear until it happpens. There is so much misguided information on the inside, especially when it comes from other inmates. But I will keep you posted on our progress and let you know if I hear about other programs apart from work release. I guess it really depends on the facility he's at too. I know that med and max facilities don't have half the programs of a min facility, epseciallly if you want to do something academic and don't need rehabilitation per se. I'm angry that gov. pataki has pullled most of the academic programs in prisons because it makes no sense if the rehabilitation process (as they call it, and we know it ain't) doesn't include learning. Especially for offenders who have short sentences and can truly come back to their families and societies a better and stronger person cos it's not all about the time, but how you do it. Anyways, I could go on and on about that so I'll stop here, but I just want to say that even if your son has his hopes up (as does my man), I think it's a hope that will help pass the time easier at present and it's not such a bad thing. He might get disappointed later, but hopefully by then he is doing something inside already that will help him deal with it. I too have my hopes up that he will be out early and until we know for sure, I'm staying optimistic and putting it out to the universe that he should be home again!