View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 632 Posts

I agree with fbopnomore 100% in that not every therapist is the right fit and if there is something that doesn't sit right with this one or you are uncomfortable, do not be shy in speaking up or just don't go back, but if you decide not to go back, don't give up either.

With regards to therapists however, make sure you aren't going to a therapist only for the sake to find someone that will tell you only what you want to hear. A good therapist will be honest with you no matter how hard that is.

I started seeing a therapist in 2006 when my marriage was falling apart. She was honest with me and while I didn't love it or her, it was a tremendous help. She helped me see things from a completely different perspective than I would've ever seen them from. Unfortunately, just as one thing would resolve, something else would occur, hence I still see her. Now the topic of discussion is my current husband in prison, and how to manage without him.

The number one thing though is the be comfortable and if the person is not making you comfortable, then find someone else. You went through something very painful and it is obviously still very painful as it should be. You have not yet dealt with that. It will not go away overnight. Don't expect it to take 1 session. It can take years before you get past this, so just be patient. But most of all, be honest with her as well. You won't success if you're going to sit and not be truthful. It is ok, she is not there to judge you.

From your statements, it is obvious you are an empathetic person. There is nothing wrong with that. You will work your way through it and come out a stronger and better person for it.

By the way, I probably don't really need to go to the therapist now, but I actually like going. It's like talking to a friend who isn't going to bullshit me and tell me what I want to hear because they don't want to hurt my feelings!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
confusedinaz (02-01-2018), fbopnomore (01-26-2018)