View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,776 Times in 7,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Generally true, and I was looking at a couple of apps with friends recently for various colleges (Cal State system, some of those for-profit private schools, etc.) However, I am researching attending law school and I also completed an MBA a few years ago and I can attest that while having a record won't disqualify you for either, at that level they do ask in my experience. (In law school I'm told it doesn't disqualify you but it may be something that you have to address with the bar association as far as your ethics and character are concerned.)

Just food for thought.
Law school is different. Getting a license is different. This means getting a license in anything - social work, medical, teaching. Generally, they won't admit to a program anybody who can't get a license - it screws up their post graduation licensure and job placement statistics.

From what I know about classmates from law school - it all depends. If your conviction was recent or was for a crime involving moral turpitude or lying, then you're going to have a major problem with the bar. So, if you kited some checks, were convicted of perjury, or were involved in something they consider morally reprehensible, you're going to have major problems being allowed to sit for the bar. You cannot lie on your bar ap, nor can you prevaricate.

Now, if you have a DUI, or a drug conviction, or even a murder long ago, you may be allowed to sit for the exam. You can expect the bar to have problems with you and to set up some additional requirements for you, but you're probably going to be allowed to sit for the bar.

Sitting for the bar is quite different than being allowed into law school. Law schools themselves tend to be quite liberal, quite into allowing second chances. Especially now. Especially if you score well on the LSAT and have a good GPA. Many do not ask about criminal convictions, especially if you get down to tier 3 and tier 4 schools.

But, remember, this is different from matriculating in a college as a freshman after doing a stint in prison for almost any reason. Sex offenders who are on the registry and on parole can generally find a college that will take them. Again, most colleges are after a diverse student population, including in this population people who've been convicted of major crimes. Many very good colleges are working within the prison system offering courses of study that give students credits from their institutions as part of their overall philosophy of what higher ed is all about. grinnell in Iowa even offers a degree to students at one Iowa prison, and Grinnell is considered a highly selective college.

Please make that distinction between an undergrad degree and a professional degree. Please make a distinction between being allowed into a university and being allowed into a program that ends in licensure. Somebody interested in a particular licesence, say psychology or architecture, should check with the state licensing board about their requirements. When on campus, a student should check with his/her advisor about these matters and formulate a plan to deal with any problems. This is one of the nice things about brick and mortar schools - they have people to talk with who know this stuff flat and can actually help you navigate your path to a profession, or help you find a profession that will embrace you with your particular criminal background.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2017), Scott (02-25-2017)