View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 05:12 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,871 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan View Post
He has been in multiple drug programs since he was 16. In prison also had dual diagnosis program with drug/mental as part of his sentence.

It has been many years since he has been in a program. During that time his addiction has accelerated. He has been revived with narcan, suffered seizures and had some significant changes to his medical history.
It is ultimately going to be his choice. To make a program work he has to be in the frame of mind and commit to sobriety. The odds are stacked against him.

My concern is I am in my late 60's and all he has. I can assist him and attempt to teach him some basics on life matters but once I am gone, that is it.

He has no friends, girlfriend of 10 years broke up with him 2 years ago and that triggered the upswing in bad behavior. I have also noticed when he has a short spurt of "doing well" he often sabotages his success. It is if he doesn't feel worthy of a decent life. Then he self medicates. The cycle continues
He reminds me of me when I was his age. And yes, sad as it is to say, it may be that he won't grow up until you are gone. For me it was somewhat that way. I was often the parent though, in my relationship with my folks and it made for a complicated & at times confusing effort to stay sober in a good mental health.
It winds up being over the long haul that addiction and mental illness are parallels in the sense that they require "daily maintenance" whether it be staying plugged in to recovery in some effort like AA or NA. Mental Health often involves therapy and the possible use of medication. If we don't stay on point with these destructive behaviors they get worse, never better. They are progressive illnesses that never go away just because we want them to. We have to take action. WE do it or we wind up in prison. We do it or we wind up in rehab. We do it or we wind up in the grave yard.
If there;s any one thing that needs to be repeated to him over and over and over again it is YOUR PROBLEMS ARE NOT GOING TO GO AWAY JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT THEM TO OR TRY TO IGNORE THEM. THEY ONLY GET BETTER WHEN YOU TAKE THE APPROPRIATE ACTION EACH DAY. IT IS A DAILY EFFORT AND YOU WILL DO IT THAT WAY OR MATTERS WILL ONLY GET WORSE.
DisneyFan (10-21-2019), jeannbean64 (10-22-2019), Mama33 (11-06-2019)