View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM

I would definitely "consider" the crime, but I'm also of the opinion that there are MANY circumstances where the "offender" didn't necessarily commit the said crime but had some connection to the crime that made him/her equally responsible in the eyes of the law, and as a result faces the same punishment.

It's easy for me to say I wouldn't write to a murderer, but the girl I'm writing to now (haven't heard back yet but it's only been a week) is serving 30 to life for aggravated murder. On the surface that would be a show stopper, but she didn't actually kill anybody - it was one of those cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person, and some of her actions in the aftermath unfortunately make her equally responsible in her state. I don't have the slightest belief that she would have ever even remotely considered committing the act that she's serving a lot of years behind bars for.

It's also easy for me to say I wouldn't consider writing to anyone who's committed a crime against children, especially sex crimes. Well I know of somebody (friend of a friend of an acquaintance) who's doing 12 years in fed for unlawful sexual acts with a minor. The offense? He had webcam sex with a 15 year old girl over an internet video chat site - a girl on the opposite coast. That's very, very different than someone who actually physically molested an underage girl, especially if she was participating willingly and there wasn't any coercion going on. Unfortunately for this guy the law doesn't distinguish between what happens "in the flesh" and what happens over the internet (and it actually makes me a little angry that we're spending tax dollars to lock this guy up for something like this for so long).