Thread: Hi from England
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 05:46 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,217 Times in 5,109 Posts

Hi there I am in the UK. I do have some experience of the crown court service and so I can try and help but I am not a legal advocate.

With regards to the length of a crown court trial, if you are asking about how long before your case is heard? That depends as Covid 19 has led to a backlog of jury trials. Jury trials are back up and running but delays are inevitable. There are also Nightgale (temporary courts) to clear the backlog. Do however expect delays.

If you are asking about how long the actual trial will take that depends on the evidence being presented, the number of witnesses etc. normally expect a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

If the co defendant is on the run they will have jumped bail and therefore a bench warrant for their arrest will have been issued. If they are not apprehended before the trial the trial can take place in their absence although their barrister can argue not to proceed with the case until the defendant can be brought before the court, as the Barrister may not have recieved instruction.

The trial against defendants who have not absconded can continue. Its best to get the advice of legal counsel and defendants will be appointed legal counsel on legal aid if they cannot not afford to appoint their own private counsel.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-20-2020), Michele1000 (08-22-2020)