Prison Talk

Prison Talk (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Continuing and Adult Education (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   Am I the only one taking a paralegal course just to help my love? (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643280)

pookiepoo 06-08-2013 03:05 PM

Am I the only one taking a paralegal course just to help my love?

i am feeling like maybe i am a bit crazy, so i decided to ask if i am the only one

Heluvedme1st 06-08-2013 03:15 PM

I have put some much thought into. I've never thought about changing my major to criminal justice but i'm so close to finishing my child development degree

pookiepoo 06-08-2013 03:24 PM

i originally thought about criminal justice, then i decided to go for paralegal studies because it has more to do with courts, laws, things like that. i am considering doing criminal justice afterwards. I do online it is cheaper and it's at your own pace and does not interfere with what (if anything) you are currently studying.

sass4221 06-08-2013 03:30 PM

I got my paralegal degree before my son got into trouble. At first, I worked for one of the judges in an appellate court, now I work for the public defenders office in post-conviction. I can't help my son, but I am helping others so that's important to me as well.

Having a BS in paralegal studies, I tried to get a Masters in criminal justice, mostly just to have a masters. I'll be honest, if you have someone inside, you will probably not like the CJ courses. Most are for law enforcement and tended to really p!ss me off! I quit a little more than halfway through.

pookiepoo 06-08-2013 03:44 PM

thank you for the advice!

Mrs.taylor2011 06-08-2013 07:09 PM

it made me want to take criminal justice ..i got more interested once my life became all about prisons/courts

Miss_A 06-08-2013 09:58 PM

No, you're not the only one. Ever seen the movie Conviction?

Deirdre13 06-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookiepoo (Post 7160029)
i am feeling like maybe i am a bit crazy, so i decided to ask if i am the only one

actually i think it's an awesome idea:thumbsup: i had been doing some searching on the internet about some things but i never thought about the legal classes route.now that i read your post i would like to do that to. that's a great plan cause not only can you hopefully help your man but you get a professional career as well. a win win situation:thumbsup:

Texas EZ Mom 08-17-2013 05:32 PM

I am getting a degree in Paralegal/Legal Assistant, but not to help my man. I am doing it because I am interested in it, due to him being incarcerated and my son is also on his way to prison, so with all the criminal circumstances, I became interested in this degree. I was taking Medical Office Management classes and took a class in Legal and Ethical Aspects of Medicine and made an "A" in the class and it also made me interested in Paralegal career.

1+3nails4given 05-26-2014 09:56 PM

I, too, am pursuing a AAS degree in Paralegal Technology Studies. I have finished my prerequisite and program classes except a math class. I will take the math class in the fall. I am currently waiting for my certification. I will receive my diploma when I complete the math class to graduate. I can say I have done quite well with the program. I achieved the Deans list for 3 semesters. I have learned alot, and I have come close to losing my sanity as the program is intense.

Siesie617 05-27-2014 05:28 AM

I was a cj major before him and when this degree is done the only class I see myself taking for him is business law because he wants to go into business and I have and will push him to college for more business management stuff even if its a two year degree. I feel if you are going to go to school for someone it should before yourself.

Patty 06-16-2014 02:40 AM

Surgeons don't operate on their family. Very often we see folks get involved in something that touches their lives - a family member w/cancer moves one to start a foundation, fat guy conquers weight and becomes fitness instructor so on and so forth. It can work for some in may ways but not so much for others. I applaud anyone getting a degree regardless of what they choose, the economy is such that it has become more necessary than in the past. I went for multiple degrees in business, just makes sense for me because if he's not in need of attorneys I have the tools to develop funds and if he does well I can hire those with that particular calling to do what they do. :shrug: