Prison Talk

Prison Talk (
-   Wives & Girlfriends in Prison (
-   -   4 days in/Updated (

Rise21 09-26-2014 09:14 AM

4 days in/Updated
Hello Everyone,

New to the site. Found it a couple of months ago while I was waiting for my wife to be sentenced.
My wife was sentenced to 3 years (18 mos) for embezzlement 4 days ago. We have 2 kids and have been married for 16 years. She is currently at Las Colinas. Been pretty tough. So hard to not see her everyday. She is able to make phone calls, but we never know when she'll be able to. We are having a very difficult time trying to make reservations for visitation. She is only allowed video visitation. Anybody go through issues with trying to schedule the visitation ?
Anyway, we try to stay positive. We have a lot of family support and are thankful. But, it sure hurts like hell.
thank you for listening,

patchouli 09-26-2014 09:55 AM

Yes, it does hurt like hell :( I'm guessing that Las Colinas is a county facility(?) Once she is moved to her "home" prison, you'll be able to get into more of a routine (and contact visits!!)...and while it doesn't get any easier per se, you will become stronger.

You may want to check in the California forum for state/facility specific informatiion: Click Here.

Welcome to PTO!

Hellboy 09-26-2014 12:22 PM

I sympathize with your situation, but you have to keep your chin up and remember 18 months is doable. Things could have been a lot worse. It will take some adjustment, but both of you need to focus on how it will be after she returns. Encourage her to get on a detail as soon as she can whether it be kitchen, laundry, etc., and that will make her time go by much faster.

fbopnomore 09-26-2014 04:49 PM

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you are able to get contact visits as soon as she is finished with processing, and arrives at her designated prison. It is a very difficult time for everyone in the family, but always remember that it will end.

Rise21 09-26-2014 07:22 PM

Small victories ! Was able to schedule a video visit for tomorrow ! I actually called and talked to a very helpful person. Video visitation seems so far away. But, it's better than nothing ! I know we all really need it.

Rise21 10-04-2014 01:52 AM

Almost at 2 weeks. Doing ok. Talk to my wife once a day and get a video visit once a week. The video visits are a little tough to take. She's a security Level 1 and yet only gets visits through video. Seems a little excessive to me.
At Las Colinas (CA), they seem to be on lock down at least 20 hours a day. At least on her floor. We figure she'll be moved in a about a month. Somewhere in CA. I'm hoping that she's going to a lower level security prison because it was a non-violent white collar crime. But, there's so much overcrowding, who knows.

jadah 10-04-2014 05:26 AM

Bless you heart. Hang in there. I can only imagine how tough it is. !8 months is very doable. This is a hiccup. Keep doing what you are doing.

davis909 10-07-2014 02:00 PM

Keep your head down and stay busy. Some days the time will crawl, but before you know it the time will have flown by.

CorvetteGuy 10-11-2014 07:12 AM

With overcrowding and a low level non-violent offense she'll probably go to Folsom (FWF) or McFarland after reception at CCWF. (No calls and non-contact visits during reception, and you have to be approved to visit.)

Although, are you sure she's going to prison? This sounds like the kind of thing that would stay in county jail under realignment...

Rise21 10-14-2014 05:36 PM

I'm really not sure where she'll end up. I know being at Las Colinas right now she is on lockdown 20-21 hours a day. I obviously need to read about the re-alignment. We are definitely hoping with working and good behavior she won't do the whole 18 months. But, I really have no clue.

Rise21 10-27-2014 10:37 PM

Ok, been over a month now. Things are not getting easier, but I'm getting much stronger. Just making sure the kids are making it. Have my 12 year old Son in therapy and it's going good. My 18 year old daughter refuses to talk to anyone.
So, the order of this is Processing, receiving, and then your "final" destination ? Also, no phone calls or visits during receiving ? I was told that it was taking up to 90 days to get out of receiving. How the hell do you explain that to your kids !? So frustrated.

sidewalker 10-28-2014 07:03 AM

county lock up is probably the worst of it.
Reception is no picnic either but once she mainlines (ie: gets to her home prison) things will go better.
Good that your son is managing better with help from a therapist.
The 18 yo is probably too angry right now, and embarrassed, confused etc.
Keep approaching her and dont let her push you away.
Eventually she will come around. I wonder if she feels like she is the only one with a mom ( or other family member) in jail/prison? Probably.
Keep hanging in there. Sounds like your doing better.

This will be very trying time for the family. Reception inmates (at least for the mens side of things) can get visits. At least mine did, but its VERY VERY HARD (or was for me) to get them. Every Sunday spent 2 hrs trying to get in on the phone.
I understand they do it differently now with v-pass but not sure if the womens facilites are using it.
I'd check out some of the info on the womens facilities in CA (if this is a state charge)
See what you might expect in the near future.

CorvetteGuy 11-02-2014 02:11 PM

Women's facilities use V-Pass, but AFAIK not for non-contact visits. But, appointments for non-contact for women should be a lot easier to get than for men (women tend to get substantially fewer visits :( ).

It will probably take 2 months to get approved to visit, once she sends you a signed CDC form 106, you fill it in and send it back. By that time she'll probably be through reception and visits will be contact.

This is all assuming she serves time in prison, vs. county jail. Has that question been resolved?

If she's staying in jail, visits will always be non-contact, AFAIK. :/

If she was sentenced to 36 months, expect her to serve 18 months (and the 18 months isn't guaranteed, if she loses time for 115 infractions and doesn't get the time restored (by being write-up free for 6 months, on eligible infractions; some infractions are lost time that can't be regained), she could serve longer, up to the 36 month sentence. There might be milestone credits she can earn if she's eligible, that will reduce that somewhat, and if she goes to fire camp she can earn 2-days-for-a-day (serve 33%), but other than that...

Rise21 11-02-2014 08:16 PM

Serving in prison or county jail ? I don't know. It is a state charge. I don't know where her time will be served. Also, what is a 115 infraction ?

sidewalker 11-04-2014 09:14 AM

if she does something to warrant a write up. (disobeys, steals something, gets in a fight, that type thing)
(the 115 question)

It used to be if you got a sentence over one yr, you served it in state prison. Im not exactly sure if that is still the case.

Her_Man 11-04-2014 10:45 AM

Don't think that things ever get easier, however you will continue to get stronger and learn how to deal with what is going on much better. Just got to remember day at a time, stop and take a deep breath now and again and don't neglect yourself and some time for yourself. Communication is key, both with your wife and kids. Take lots of time with them, answer their questions and make sure that you reassure them that you are there for them.
I'm on the other end of where you are, and waiting for my wife to get out in 21 days after being apart now for ten years. It really is doable, and you can make it.

CorvetteGuy 11-06-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalker (Post 7380702)
It used to be if you got a sentence over one yr, you served it in state prison. Im not exactly sure if that is still the case.

Not after realignment. A grip of charges (non-vio, non-serious generally) are being served in county jails, even if the sentence is over a year. I think they finally got realistic and capped it at 5 years(!), because people facing long terms in jail (way, way less comfortable; non-contact visits only, extremely limited commissary, no electronics, few if any programs, little or no time spent outside, etc) would do something violent or serious just to ensure they went to prison instead!

Rise21 11-06-2014 06:50 PM

How will I know when my Wife heads to receiving ? Also, once in receiving, how can she contact me ?

sidewalker 11-07-2014 07:49 AM

She may be allowed to call. Or she will write.
At least that is how it happened for us. He was able to call collect and I was able to accept the call. (this was on a hard line phone at my house) I never had to deal with getting a gtl account.
The letter arrived a few days later and he gave me his address, cdc #,

oops. If it still holds true, she will most likely not be able to call you when she first goes in. She may be able to once she mainlines.
Reception is just a step up from county jail.(at least for my hub) once mainlined things were better.

Rise21 11-11-2014 10:18 PM

Thanks to prop 47 passing in CA. The jail has ben emptying out a bit. They ended up putting my Wife in "regular" housing. She was in the the behavioral unit due to overflow. She now will get 2 contact visits a week instead of 2 video visits. I cannot be happier right now ! We see her in a couple of days. First time in 2 months. I'm thinking she'll be there for about another month before she heads out to receiving. So, we are thankful. I cannot wait for my kids and myself to give her a hug.

sidewalker 11-12-2014 06:44 AM

awwwwwwwww this is great to hear!!!
Im sure those visits will be good to get.
Not sure if you make an appt for the visits but if you dont, arrive EARLY.
In our county they didnt have appts and it was first come first in.
Ug. Hated that. I would arrive over an hr early to try to snag one of the 4 spots for that time slot. If I got there too late, I would have to come back for the next round of visit (something like 2 hrs later) No fun.

Rise21 11-12-2014 08:11 AM

We were able to schedule online. Thankfully ! eVisit. I cannot imagine not having appts.

mikeq 11-16-2014 03:59 AM

Keep your head up..this too shall pass. I remember when my wife was at Los Colinas..county jail is horrible. One she gets through reception, trust me you are stronger and she is in a better place.reception can be a lonely time. Write letters and as soon as you can, get your visiting application turned in. That can be a lengthy process too usually 45-60 days..all for no reason, really. Understand, nothing happens in CDCr quickly, nothing. Be patient and try to stay busy!!

sidewalker 11-16-2014 07:46 AM

wholehearted agree with Mikeq.
First thing she needs to do once she arrives in state prison is get a hold of a visit form, sign it and mail it to you so you can fill it out (leave NOTHING out of your backround) and send it back to the attn of the visiting sgt. (for which ever facility she ends up in)
repeat. Dont forget to sign it. (my hub sent about three of them to us before he figured out he needed to sign it

Rise21 11-23-2014 07:16 PM

Feeling the holiday downers. I am very thankful that the kids and I get to see her on Thanksgiving. Also, if she hasn't been sent to receiving, we'll see her on Christmas. Her next court date is 12/12, so we'll see if they bus her off to receiving after. Going to be the toughest holidays we've ever been through. But, we'll make it.